Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default SBR lower, multiple uppers?

Quick question?

I have a registered SBR AR-15. I also have three other AR-15s. Provided that I have the three non-registered ARs built in a legal configuration, is it legal for me to own two SBR uppers to swap between the SBR lower?

If not I'll just register another lower. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: SBR lower, multiple uppers?

How did you fill out the paperwork when you registered? Do you just say "under 16"?

(Centre County)

At the time I filed it they wanted the actual barrel length. So I believe I have to send them a letter requesting to add another description to the form to include 10.5 or whatever barrel length I choose. At least that's what I was told. that's not a problem. I just don't want to get into trouble for having two SBR uppers and only one SBR lower.

(Montgomery County)

its not a problem with the SBR, it CAN be a problem if you have other title 1 AR15s in the house that can accept the uppers, regardless of the TC Supreme court decision.

ATF calls this "constructive posession" meaning that you COULD posess another unregistered SBR if the spare upper can drop on the other lower.

I myself dont worry about it, and have multiple uppers for my SBR and M16...if I was going to break the law by having unregistered SBRs, I wouldn't have spent the money to register the damn thing
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Centre County)

So by their logic, because I have a registered SBR lower AND other title 1 Ar-15s, and could theorhetically put the short upper on the title 1 lower, I'm already in deep shit?

Like you said, if I had such a hardon for doing something like that, I wouldn't have gone through the hassle to register it in the first place.

Self preservation is a hobby of mine. So screw it, for $200, a trip to the sheriffs office, and about $50 for engraving, I'll just register another lower. Two registered lowers, two SBR uppers, and all other title 1 rifles legally configured with +16" barrels.

I'm sure in the end it will be a lot cheaper than court fees, fines, and a trip to the big house.

It would almost be simpler if they serial numbered and registered the barrel.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    So by their logic, because I have a registered SBR lower AND other title 1 Ar-15s, and could theorhetically put the short upper on the title 1 lower, I'm already in deep shit?

Like you said, if I had such a hardon for doing something like that, I wouldn't have gone through the hassle to register it in the first place.

Self preservation is a hobby of mine. So screw it, for $200, a trip to the sheriffs office, and about $50 for engraving, I'll just register another lower. Two registered lowers, two SBR uppers, and all other title 1 rifles legally configured with +16" barrels.

I'm sure in the end it will be a lot cheaper than court fees, fines, and a trip to the big house.

It would almost be simpler if they serial numbered and registered the barrel.
    Honestly, i wouldn't worry about it. As long as you still have the original length upper for it you should be ok. I would not be worried about having other complete title 1 guns around. I would be a little concerened if you had other title 1 lowers without uppers on them as well as shorter than 16" uppers laying around. I highly doubt you'd ever have a problem but like you said, is it worth the possible hassle?

(Centre County)

Well, I have enough +16 uppers to keep me covered. I'll just ship a lower off and get it engraved. While it's in the shop I'll send the form 1 in.

Then I'll build a 10.5" with an LMT upper or maybe an XM177 clone.

Thanks for your help. This area has always been a little vague for me. To save my ass I'll play the game and pay the tax.

Scouts Out