Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default HELP! Draco/AK reassembly problem

OK. Here's the deal. It's a rainy day. The kids and I are watching Lord of the Rings, and I'm cleaning/oiling some of my toys in between applying coats of dye to a new holster. I can't think of a better way to spend a rainy day.

The problem is, I'm mechanically retarded.

While cleaning my Draco (I realize that it's a pistol, but I figured that its construction is the same as a rifle and I'd get more hits on this sub-forum) and I pushed the safety/selector switch up too far while trying to get beneath the switch to oil it properly. That's where the problem started.

Apparently, the stiff wire spring that provides tension to the safety jumped loose and I can't seem to figure out how it is supposed to be replaced. It appears to be just long enough that the hook end should go over the pin that holds the hammer and the little loop connects to the safety switch. But, when I do that, both the pin for the hammer and the pin for the trigger both seem to want to work loose.

If someone could provide a good description of how to put this back properly (or better yet, photos from the inside of your AK/Draco) I'll name my next child after you.

PS. I have googled it to try to find assembly instructions, but didn't find anything worth while.

ETA: After reading the three sites below (thanks guys) it appears that the wire spring on AKs and Dracos are different. So I'm changing the thread title. see post below.
    Last edited by Sandcut; August 7th, 2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: HELP! AK reassembly problem

i don't know if this is what you need, but i had problems with this once and it helped me. it is a pdf of the way the hook gets installed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Lehigh County)

forgot page 2, here it is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Butler County)

Shepards hooks can be a real pain. Get a retaining plate. Less than 10 bucks. Well worth the money.
    http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.shtml
    Try this site for details and pics on all the controls for an AK

(Wayne County)

Default Re: HELP! Draco/AK reassembly problem

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. It does, however, appear that the wire/spring on the Draco is different than on other AKs.

First off, it doesn't have the "shepherd's crook" shape on the forward end. Mine ends in an "L" shape w/ the inside corner of the "L" at about 80 degrees.

Secondly, the opposite end of the spring terminates at a circular loop that I do know was attached to the safety/selector switch as it fastens into the left-hand side of the receiver.

Thirdly, the wire is not long enough to extend beyond the hammer pin to loop around the central support post. It is only long enough (when looped around the safety/selector switch) to reach the hammer pin. Which means that it either 1) loops around the hammer pin or 2) presses against the hammer pin w/ the bottom of the "L."

I played around with it a bit more last night. It appears that #2 above might be the correct positioning. It keeps tension against the hammer pin, trigger pin and safety/selector switch, which is my understanding of its purpose.

I would, however, like some confirmation from someone else w/ a Draco to be certain.

Thanks again for the help.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. It does, however, appear that the wire/spring on the Draco is different than on other AKs.

First off, it doesn't have the "shepherd's crook" shape on the forward end. Mine ends in an "L" shape w/ the inside corner of the "L" at about 80 degrees.

Secondly, the opposite end of the spring terminates at a circular loop that I do know was attached to the safety/selector switch as it fastens into the left-hand side of the receiver.

Thirdly, the wire is not long enough to extend beyond the hammer pin to loop around the central support post. It is only long enough (when looped around the safety/selector switch) to reach the hammer pin. Which means that it either 1) loops around the hammer pin or 2) presses against the hammer pin w/ the bottom of the "L."

I played around with it a bit more last night. It appears that #2 above might be the correct positioning. It keeps tension against the hammer pin, trigger pin and safety/selector switch, which is my understanding of its purpose.

I would, however, like some confirmation from someone else w/ a Draco to be certain.

Thanks again for the help.
    There are different types of retaining wires that install differently. The point is, as you said, to keep tension on the two FCG pins. My century gun has the type of retaining wire that works by pushing against the backside of the hammer pin and laying on top of the trigger pin. It sounds like yours works the same way.

Install both the FCG pins then lay the retaining wire against (on top of) the pins. When you reinstall the saftey lever, it will apply pressure to the retaining wire and hold everything together. If you cant push the pins out, you did it right.

(Clinton County)

Just looked at my Draco. My safety lever is completely independent. Check out the pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    Just looked at my Draco. My safety lever is completely independent. Check out the pictures...
    His problem is actually with the fire control group retaining pin/wire. It has nothing to do with the safety.

Bad description on his part, as he was probably a little confused when he wrote it.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    His problem is actually with the fire control group retaining pin/wire. It has nothing to do with the safety.

Bad description on his part, as he was probably a little confused when he wrote it.
    Ah, ok. Well either way I hope my pictures can help in determining what yours should look like when put together. If there is something else I can do to help, don't be afraid to ask @ OP.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post

No. My description is pretty much spot on (although I generally wander through life confused.)

Marinville's descriptions seems to support what I'm trying to convey. So, since pictures convey ideas better than words, I photographed it and annotated the photo in paint to help out w/ my description.

This is what the wire/spring on my Draco looks like. This is not what I'm seeing on other AK sites.

IMG00348-20110807-1632 annotated.jpg

Note the loop at "1". This was very definintely attached to the safety/selector switch just before it went through the left side of the receiver. This much I'm sure of. "2" we'll call the "elbow" and "3" is the "L".

This is how it looks inside. (Sorry that my phone doesn't have a macro zoom.)

IMG00352-20110807-1637 annotated.jpg

The loop at "1" anchors the wire on the cross piece of the safety/selector. The "elbow" at "2" (in this configuration) fits into a groove on the trigger pin and exerts downward pressure on it while the bottom of the "L" at "3" pushes up against the bottom of the hammer pin. Does that make more sense now?

As shown in the photo, the wire keeps tension on all three pieces and none can be forced out easily. This leads me to believe that it may be correct.

Marinville, if you or anyone else w/ this style wire/spring in your Draco could take a peek and let me know if this looks to be correct I'd be appreciative.

Thanks to all for the effort of setting me on the right track.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast