Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Question range finder selection

here we go, been considering getting a range finder so i thought i would ask the opinion of the all knowing users here. i do have a 5o bmg so i would like one with a good range capability. a monocular type is also a preference. i would also like to keep the cost below 500$ if at all possible. price level can be upped if quality is greatly improved by raising it. so i am ready for your opinions.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: range finder selection

What are you looking to do?

Hunt, range, trajectory or angle, distances... light conditions.

I am partial to Leupold.

American made, great quality and they are around 400.

(Cumberland County)

primarily looking for ranging for ballistic purposes. i have looked at the different models that have angle capabilities. don,t do much shooting up or down hill but it seems like a good option to have. clarity of the optics is a primary concern as well as the ability to get a read on various targets. it seems the ability to get a reflection off distant targets is a problem for some of the range finders. i realize that advertised ranging distances are considering optimum conditions. so i am looking for first hand advice on different models and brands capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    primarily looking for ranging for ballistic purposes. i have looked at the different models that have angle capabilities. don,t do much shooting up or down hill but it seems like a good option to have. clarity of the optics is a primary concern as well as the ability to get a read on various targets. it seems the ability to get a reflection off distant targets is a problem for some of the range finders. i realize that advertised ranging distances are considering optimum conditions. so i am looking for first hand advice on different models and brands capabilities.
    The models that do angles are nice, but it's mostly a novel thing. I have a Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC, that does the angle compensation. After 600 yards, the angle compensation doesn't work. So it is nice, but I wouldn't weigh it super heavy on deciding which rangefinder to get.

Ability to get a reflection off the target is ALWAYS going to be an issue with all but some of the most expensive LRF's. There's just a lot of variables that come into play. Obviously targets have different reflectivity, and reflectivity plays a major part in being able to get a range. The lighting conditions (light, clouds, angle of the sun, etc), target color/contrast, material, atmospheric conditions (humidity, fog, rain, etc.) ALL effect the ability to lase the target. There's some days that you can't get a read on a target from a certain distance, and then you may be able to go there later in the day or a few days later in the same place and get a distance. You're right about the advertised distances being under optimal conditions. It's also for reflective targets, which most people aren't using either. Lots of rangefinders that will range out past 1,000 yards, and are fairly expensive, still may not give reliable results on deer sized animals past 500 yards. I can also tell you that lots of the rangefinders that advertise they'll lase to 500-600 yards will NOT lase an animal even that far. They will give you yardage for a reflective target at that range, but lots of them won't range an animal much over 300-350 yards.

The monocular models are nice, and compact. I can tell you that as a generality, most of them aren't very bright in lowlight conditions (I.E. hunting). The reason for this, is the small objective on these compact models can only gather so much light. You also have to keep in mind that resolution (ability to pick out smaller objects, or details of an object) is directly related to objective size. So when you get into the smaller compact rangefinders, the glass has to be of very exceptional quality to pick up lots of details and perform well in lowlight. The glass has to be of better quality than if the lenses were larger. So I'm just gonna tell you flat out, in my opinion you probably won't be satisfied with the compact monocular versions that are going to fit in your price range. I've never been very impressed with the compact Leupold rangefinders. Some of their larger, older, and expensive models are quite nice and range well, but the small compact ones don't hold a candle to those larger models. The glass isn't terrible, but it definitely isn't great. They do perform fairly well in lowlight for as small as the lenses are, and better than some with larger objectives. This doesn't mean it's great, or that it can make up for larger objective lenses that gather more light.

The only compact rangefinders that I think perform great in lots of conditions, lots of targets, etc, are the Leica CRF's. Unless you're buying used, they're all going to be beyond the price limit you've originally set. The 1,000 yard models start at $600, and they go up from there depending on what other models (with longer range capabilities) that you want. The rangefinders are nice, and the glass is very bright and clear. These are the only compact rangefinders that I'd even consider if you truly want good readings out to a fair distance, and good optical performance.

I wanted a Leica CRF, but I just didn't want to spend that much money on them. There are other LRF's that can range to similar or further distances for quite a lot less money. They do NOT have the glass quality that the Leica does, or the lit red reticle (which is VERY nice in lowlight). You should also keep in mind that it can be quite difficult to hold the compact range finders steady because they're so small and light. They're nice to carry, but can be difficult to hold steady at longer ranges. Lots of the compact models also don't have a mount for a tripod, which is VERY important. Most people can't hand hold steady enough to get a good return at 500-600 yards, so there's not much of a chance of getting a handhold at ranges past that. It happens sometimes, but it's not always the case. A tripod mount comes in very handy, and is practically necessary.

The truth of the matter is that with rangefinders, you can hardly "get away" with much. Like anything else, you get what you pay for; BUT if you're not careful you won't even get what you pay for. For $400 or more, I don't think the Leupold products perform as well as some other similarly priced products. You have to start looking at things like laser strength, beam divergence, etc. Here's a review on 6mmBR that will kind of give you an idea of what you're getting into. It's already and "old" review now since it's from 2007, and some of these models aren't made anymore or have already been greatly improved. It'll still give you an idea of how some of these rangefinders are rated and how they actually perform. http://www.6mmbr.com/rangefinders.html Make sure to click on the blue links up at the top that explain and go more in depth about return times, beam divergence, ground clutter, etc. Depending on what kind/size of targets you want to range, and at what distances, there may not be something that will perfectly fit your expectations and fit in the budget. I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, want more specifics, please feel free to ask.

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: range finder selection

tomcat088, wow thanks for your input. you have given me some good info. it is sorta like picking out a good scope, there are so many choices and variables. i guess i am going to have to do some serious research. i have always wanted a rf for my overall firearms collection and related stuff. kinda thought one could come in handy down the road. as a general rule i try to get the best i can afford on whatever i am buying. like you said i have found you do not always get what you pay for but you do have to pay for what you get. thanks again for your help, i knew the members here would be able to send me in the right direction. be safe, be happy and keep on shooting, red dog

(Centre County)

I was in the same place you are a little while back. I did a good deal of research and eventually settled on the Zeiss 8x26 PRF. Optics are great (it replaced my 10x Leupold binoculars), and I've ranged trees out to 1200 yards. It runs just a tad more than $500, but I think it is well worth it. Got mine from EuroOptic in Montoursville, PA [Jason who works there (owner?) writes for that 6mmBR website and he said it was an excellent rangefinder as well].

(Cumberland County)

Smile Re: range finder selection

thanks bricktop, info is helpful. i will check into that model as well as the supplier. be safe, keep shooting, red dog