Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default What's the law on "One in the Chamber"?

Does anyone have any documentation as to whether or not it is legal for CCW permit holder to carry thier weapon with a chambered round? I know several police officers and they couldn't even answer the question. All I have eve been told is that "you are not supposed too" or "cops don't like it". That fine but what does the law say?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What's the law on "One in the Chamber"?

there is no law against it...therefore it is legal.

where to people (not you, but whoever told you it might be illegal) come up with this crap?

in addition, if you don't have a round in the chamber, your weapon will be useless in many self defense situations.

"hold on a second mister armed-robber guy, would ya? i need to rack my slide and chamber a round before i can defend myself."

(btw, other than Steve in PA, i would not suggest asking cops for legal advice. some of them know the law quite well...others have no clue...and the ones who have no clue will often act like they know it cold. Steve in PA, on the other hand, knows what he is talking about better than just about anyone else i have encountered when it comes to PA gun laws.)

(Philadelphia County)

You might as well carry a cinder block with you for protection.

I have never heard in any shape or form of the illegality of carrying one in the chamber.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Allegheny County)

I dont think the law says anything about it..

I beleave most people carry a weapon with one in the chamber, hence the 'big fuss' over safety systems for various pistols.. Some people carry 1911 style handguns with with one in the chamber, the hammer cocked and locked and safeties on.

I *think* this is reffered to as 'condition 1' in the military. \

The 'safety action' style glocks only require you to pull the trigger to fire. The idea bieng to save as much time possible if you need to use the firearm in an emergency.

Some people are uncomfortable with a gun in condition 1, and prefer the isreali draw.

But as far as the law is concerned.. I dont think it is mentioned what condition you must carry in.. although ive been wrong before (as hard as THAT is to beleave)

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre6 View Post
    But as far as the law is concerned.. I dont think it is mentioned what condition you must carry in.. although ive been wrong before (as hard as THAT is to beleave)

ROFL Spectre you kill me!

Way back a long time ago, mind you this was in Canada where laws are way different, the cops used to carry their six shooters with 5 rounds and have a hole on top, the idea was that if the gun fell, the hammer would not strike the bullet since there was none there. On a revolver, it did not matter much at the time because when you pull the trigger, the new round presents its self. Reloading was with 6 shots. As the newer guns came out and had a safety bar inside that would prevent such a strike against the bullet, the practice of 6 rounds was addopted and now with pistols, the chambered round is accepted. Mind you, Many gun clubs in Canada still inscist on 5 round voleys. The idea being that 5 rounds 10 times = one box.

I Supppose it is not wierder then shooting just 3 shots out of a 10 shot rifle at the public ranges here.. Just a bylaw people impose on you.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Diego,

Trying to fit the cinder block into the chamber is a b----,heavy too, but I feel safer knowing it's there.

When I bought my first Glock, I was uncomfortable having one in the pipe.

One_in_the-Chamber Practice your username with the following suggestions.

Make sure you have a substantial holster that covers the trigger guard.
    Learn and imbed the 4 safety rules into your brain.
    Learn how to properly present the pistol.
    Learn how to reholster without catching your laundry inside the trigger guard (that could be bad).

I guess that's a drawn out way to say get some professional training
    and carry on.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Luzerne County)

??????????? If there isnt a round in the chamber than all you have is a really expensive paper weight.

(Bucks County)

What type of holster do you use with the cinder block??? IWB or OWB, maybe a bag of morter for back-up...
    Ask the cops if they carry with an empty chamber. I'm sure they don't. As the Scouts say, BE PREPARED...Mike45

(Allegheny County)

Smartcarry with that cinderblock.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Carbon County)

Yes.... the smart carry or the pager pal is recommended. It has the additional benefit of impressing the ladies with the large bulge
    To our female members I'd recommend a shoulder/chest type holster. Guarenteed to get you a few rounds
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast