Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Dillon550 primer drawback

I have just started experiencing what I feel is probably primer drawback or possibly lack of primer removal when reloading on my 550 and using dillon dies. What has me scratching my head is that it may happen maybe 5 times in 400 rounds reloaded so the problem is very intermittent. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas for me?

Default Re: Dillon550 primer drawback

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    I have just started experiencing what I feel is probably primer drawback or possibly lack of primer removal when reloading on my 550 and using dillon dies. What has me scratching my head is that it may happen maybe 5 times in 400 rounds reloaded so the problem is very intermittent. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas for me?
    Make sure the removed primers aren't buliding up and causing a jam, somethimes a primer will go crooked and cause a little bind in primer extraction.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

How many times have these cases been reloaded? Are your primer pockets full of crude? Are they out of round? Is the primer rod and wheel assembly as clean as it should be? Is the shell-plate free of crude and properly tightened? Could be a lot of things that, either, new brass or a good press cleaning would cure for you.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
    How many times have these cases been reloaded? Are your primer pockets full of crude? Are they out of round? Is the primer rod and wheel assembly as clean as it should be? Is the shell-plate free of crude and properly tightened? Could be a lot of things that, either, new brass or a good press cleaning would cure for you.
    I pulled the whole press apart and made sure all was cleaned and adjusted properly.
    This particular brass is pretty new because it was reloaded from a case of once fired factory American Eagle/ Federal.

Thanks for the input so far but I just may be calling Dillon for some assistance.
    Last edited by CCinPA; November 27th, 2006 at 01:19 PM.

OK, now we;re getting somewhere! There's a little spring-metal, 'finger' on a Dillon primer feeder that needs to be adjusted to the exact width of a business card in order for each primer to be properly aligned and fed into place.

It's been my experience that if there's any crude under the primer feed wheel or if that little metal finger is, even slightly, out of adjustment then primers will not feed as smoothly as they should and may have trouble being properly installed.

Hope this helps.

(Luzerne County)

OK, now we;re getting somewhere! There's a little spring-metal, 'finger' on a Dillon primer feeder that needs to be adjusted to the exact width of a business card in order for each primer to be properly aligned and fed into place.

It's been my experience that if there's any crude under the primer feed wheel or if that little metal finger is, even slightly, out of adjustment then primers will not feed as smoothly as they should and may have trouble being properly installed.

Hope this helps.
    G21 the finger you are referring to, would that be the leaf spring on the back side of the primer feeder assembly?

Quote Originally Posted by CCinPA View Post
    G21 the finger you are referring to, would that be the leaf spring on the back side of the primer feeder assembly?
    Yes, I think that's what it's called. (Getting senile!)

(Luzerne County)

Yes, I think that's what it's called. (Getting senile!)
    Senile, hell I don't know if thats what it is really called it just looks like a leaf spring to me and I wanted to be sure we were talking about the same item. Thanks I will check the adjustment on it and see what I come up with.

The best five bucks I ever spent was on Dillon's, 'How To Setup Your Press' video. I must have watched this tape, at least, a dozen times!

Here's the one for the RL 550B that you own.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=12&dyn=1&
    Last edited by G21.45; November 29th, 2006 at 03:50 PM.

(Luzerne County)

The best five bucks I ever spent was on Dillon's, 'How To Setup Your Press' video. I must have watched this tape, at least, a dozen times!

Here's the one for the RL 550B that you own.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=12&dyn=1&
    Hmmm, Your in the Pocono Mtn's thats close enough for you to boot leg me a copy

Just joking