Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SIG DAO

(Wyoming County)

Default SIG DAO

I asked this in the gunsmith section and received no replies...lemme try it here. I own four SIG 229/40/357sig in various configurations but I bought a used 229 in DAO and it has the 10/12 lb. liabiltiy trigger.
    Would the installation of short reset trigger lighten up the pull?

(York County)

Default Re: SIG DAO

Do yourself a favor with this, go to: sigforum.com , excellent information from Chris Orndorff, very respected gunsmith specializing in Sig Pistols. Just do a search and you will find loads of information on the "Short Trigger".
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Allegheny County)

You may have to call SIG on this one. I've heard conflicting reports on the SRT and it's retro-compatibility with certain generation frames. Any P229 can go from DAO to DA/SA, and to DAK with swapping/adding/changing parts, but with the new SRT system, some frame modification may need to be done, i.e. removing material, and in my opinion this is best done at SIG. This is what a fellow at SIG told me last year when I inquired about the SRT system on a late 90's P229.
    The SRT would lessen/shorten the reset point, but I'm not sure if it would actually make the trigger pull any lighter. For that you could try different weight mainsprings and find the sweet spot of a good trigger pull AND 100% reliability. I did this on a DAO P226 with good results.
    Or are you talking about just installing the "short trigger" factory trigger unit?

Quote Originally Posted by capitolcop View Post
    I asked this in the gunsmith section and received no replies...lemme try it here. I own four SIG 229/40/357sig in various configurations but I bought a used 229 in DAO and it has the 10/12 lb. liabiltiy trigger.
    Would the installation of short reset trigger lighten up the pull?
    I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure. I was under the impression the trigger was narrower (front to back) so people with smaller hands didn't have to reach as far to get to the front of the trigger. That was my understanding but if I'm wrong I'll gladly be corrected.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Wyoming County)

Thanks guys!

(Montgomery County)

The Short Reset Trigger will not lower the trigger weight. It only reduces the amount of forward movement before the trigger resets. (I'm not even sure it is compatible with DAO.)

This is not to be confused with the Short Trigger, which is what Zack mentions. The Short Trigger (AKA the Reduced Reach Trigger) is just a slimmer (front to back) replacement for the trigger, which very slightly reduces reach. That might the beginning of the DA pull feel as if it's lighter, but it isn't really.

As advised in other posts, your best bet for the straight information is in the SIGforums, or by calling SIG directly.

Edited to add:

Here's an image from the SIGforums thats shows the differences in size between some of the standard and short triggers:
    Last edited by toml; August 5th, 2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: More detail

(York County)

Toml sent you solid information as the others have. No, it will not lighten
    the trigger pull. As mentioned in the other post, changing out the mainspring
    will. If your thinking about a trigger job, check out grayguns.com . Several
    posters on the sig forum advise that Gary at gray guns does excellent work.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Butler County)

The DAO was usually pretty heavy but Grey Guns does do a nice reduction and smoothing on them.

I run the DAK system in mine which is a bit lighter. Whether frame on your SIG would accept the DAK kit I don't know. The SRT trigger system, as mentioned, it a DA/SA setup the short trigger itself won't make a difference on the pull but it does change the 'reach'.