Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A couple AOW questions

**Whoops, Mods, I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. Please feel free to move to the AOW/NFA section.

1.) Does anybody know if any of the officials in Westmoreland County (such as the sheriff) are ok with signing off on AOW paperwork?

2.) Where can I aquire AOW paperwork if I'm planning on manufacturing something on my own (after I get my stamp), and I won't be dealing with a gun dealer?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: A couple AOW questions

maybe others will chime in on the Sheriff question, bit on the rst, you appear to be confused on the processs of NFA

start here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-t...a-jaybell.html

further, realize that MAKING an AOW is a $200 tax, but TRANSFERRING an AOW from a dealer.. its $5.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

I actually already read that thread; it was quite informative. I'm considering cutting down a double barrel shotgun (after AOW approval and stamp), and if I did this myself I would not be dealing with a gun dealer, so I'm wondering where I could get the necessary forms to fill out and mail in?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Resort View Post
    I actually already read that thread; it was quite informative. I'm considering cutting down a double barrel shotgun (after AOW approval and stamp), and if I did this myself I would not be dealing with a gun dealer, so I'm wondering where I could get the necessary forms to fill out and mail in?
    If you are cutting down a double barrel shotgun that already has a shoulder stock on it, it cannot be a AOW. You must apply for a SBS, Short Barreled Shotgun.

You need to file a Form 1 for manufacturing a SBS.

You can get the forms from the ATF's site. You can have the ATF send you a packet that has virtually everything: forms, fingerprint cards, etc.

Form 1 - http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf
    Cert. of Compliance - http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-20.pdf

You will still need to have them mail you some fingerprint cards.
    Last edited by knight0334; August 6th, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Download the form here; print it on white paper, head-to-head (both sides of the same sheet of paper). You need to send in 2 copies.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You can get the forms from the ATF's site. You can have the ATF send you a packet that has virtually everything: forms, fingerprint cards, etc.
    This is also true. Go here:

http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/

Make sure to get at least these; they used to have the fingerprint cards other than the ones for dealers, just the plain ones for use with a Form 1 or 4; I think they include a couple with the Form 1 now.

F 1 (5320.1) - Application to Make and Register a Firearm
    F 5330.20 - Certificate of Compliance With 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(5)(B)

ETA: ATF is very quick with mailing them out. Not so quick on issuing the stamps, but you'll get a packet from their distribution center in a couple of days.

ETA-2: Under the "APPLICATIONS" tab, they have the packet that Knight mentioned, "ATF F 1 (5320.1) - Application to Make and Register a Firearm Packet (includes instructions, fingerprint cards, and other material) "
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; August 6th, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Found some other threads on here with good info. Looks like I will need to register as SBS not AOW since shotgun currently has shoulder stock, even though I plan to saw off shoulder stock and configure into AOW type weapon.
    Last edited by Last Resort; August 6th, 2011 at 03:03 PM.

(Bucks County)

Thank you guys for all the great info. If approved for this project, I would also be sawing off the stock and basically refinishing the wood into a pistol grip, Mad Max style. Would this make the gun an AOW, or still a "Short Barreled Shotgun"?

-Thanks
    That would be a short barreled shotgun. For it to be an AOW it could never have had a stock attached. You would have to build it from either a virgin receiver or a shotgun that came from the factory with a pistol grip. Either way, it's a $200 manufacturing tax.

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    That would be a short barreled shotgun. For it to be an AOW it could never have had a stock attached. You would have to build it from either a virgin receiver or a shotgun that came from the factory with a pistol grip. Either way, it's a $200 manufacturing tax.
    It looks like you and I are embarking on similar endeavors. I have a 12 guage SxS Century Double Barrel that has been sitting around and collecting dust, and I am amped about turning it into a Mad Max style SBS...and yes..I do intend to purchase the Mad Max holster to wear it around when camping and at the range...

(Bucks County)

It looks like you and I are embarking on similar endeavors. I have a 12 guage SxS Century Double Barrel that has been sitting around and collecting dust, and I am amped about turning it into a Mad Max style SBS...and yes..I do intend to purchase the Mad Max holster to wear it around when camping and at the range...
    Yeah, I guess you saw my thread...I'm stoked! Make sure you post pictures of your project, and do your research before you start cutting. My Stoeger will have a big hole in the pistol grip when I cut the stock off, and many other SxS shotguns are the same. I will have to plug that hole with a piece of the stock and make it look nice.

Also, depending on how long your barrel is, you can probably cut the stock off while you are waiting for your Form 1. The overall length just needs to be 26". Then when your Form 1 comes back, all you will have to do is cut the barrel.

One thing that's nice about SBS's is you can have them loaded in a vehicle in PA, with a LTCF. The same can NOT be said about full length shotguns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast