Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default 1911's - Springfield vs. Kimber

So I've decided I'm going to purchase a 1911 before the year ends. Having never owned or shot one, I'm looking for some guidance.

The 3 features that I know I want are a 5" barrel, steel frame, and a light rail.

It would mostly be a range/HD gun, maybe carried OWB occasionally.

I've narrowed it down to 4: the Springfield TRP Operator/MC Operator and the Kimber Warrior/Tactical Entry II.

Most of the research I've done so far has lead me to the Springfield 1911's...

Thoughts? Opinions? Anything else I should be looking at? I'm looking to spend around $1000 - $1500.
    Last edited by kindred_spirits; August 5th, 2011 at 03:43 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 1911's - Springfield vs. Kimber

I own three Kimbers. Two TLE and an ultra carry. I also own one Springfield. All fine guns. I carry the ultracarry. I recently saw the new Ruger 1911 I think I will be bringing one home.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

All are fine choices. Go with the Springer because of their great warranty (lifetime). Kimber's are a year, I think but don't quote me.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: 1911's - Springfield vs. Kimber

I own 2 Kimbers & a Springfield, but SA's customer service & warranty make the difference for me - I'd go Springfield at those prices!

(Butler County)

I like both but vote Springfield for customer service.

Here is my customized Operator

(Allegheny County)

Springfield TRP is the best deal going in that price range at this time IMO.

Your going to get a lot of "buy this!" and "I love my _____" without much background info on the users here. Thats just the nature of the internet, but its particularly strong on some sites... this being one of them.

When someone says they love their "brand X" but leaves out important info like round count and conditions shot in its less than useful. Whats worse is the "Ive owned my X for 5 years and it never once failed ! " without telling you that they shoot once every couple months and arrely more than 100 rounds at time.

Ive seen Kimbers fail left and right, its predictable, at courses where you may put 1k rounds through your gun in few days. Ive also seen high end guns fail (dont be fooled by the fact that some machine carved "custom" on your Kimber.... its not).

If you really want to run a 1911, as opposed to just owning one, you need a somewhat higher level of knowledge and skill to maintain that gun than many more modern designs.

Here is some good data
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...read.php?t=490

I also hear great things about Larry Vicker's 1911 Operator course.

I was lucky when I ran a 1911 that Lycan walked me through much of it, and I did some serious learning on those guns !

You should read this:
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...tractor+wilson

What I can tell you about my TRP is that it was the fucking tightest SOB I ever owned or even felt, and it ran like a champ prob through around 8k rounds before I traded it in. During that time I found it would not feed HP ammo reliably (HST Bad, T-series good) , that it fed better with CMC Power Mag's, I had the ambi thumb safety break , and knocked the mag well loose. IIRC I took 2 pistol courses with that gun and day 2 on the first one the front stipple had to get masking taped.

After that I owned a Wilson CQB that has been the most relaible gun I have ever owned, EVER, of any type, PERIOD. It ate around to 15k-20k rounds with 4 failures. 2 in the same day with the same mag (that got pitched behind a berm) , one early slide lock, and one during a night shoot where it may have just been me fucking up my reload. It ran dry, dirty, in sandy and dust conditions down south and in below zero up north, that thing just ran.

BUT, I know other people, same model, same maker, who had troubles.

One 1911, regardless of maker, will not be the same as any other. You get no guarantee. But you do get a warranty. Springfield uses quality componets, their custom shop does great work, and they will fix it forever if its not right.
    Last edited by Shawn.L; August 5th, 2011 at 04:52 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

All are fine choices. Go with the Springer because of their great warranty (lifetime). Kimber's are a year, I think but don't quote me.

(Butler County)

as per kimber
    Kimber America | Warranty & Service Agreement
    For service, warranty and parts call customer service at (914) 964-0771 ext 267.
    Warranty

This limited warranty has been drafted to comply with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act, which is effective for goods manufactured on or after December 31, 1995.

Kimber Mfg., Inc. firearms are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship for one year after the date of original new gun retail purchase. The manufacturer agrees to correct by repair or replacement (with the same or comparable quality model) your firearm, without charge, if returned prepaid with a copy of the bill of sale. Kimber Mfg., Inc. assumes no responsibility for product malfunction or for physical injury or property damage resulting in whole or in part from criminal or negligent use of the product, improper or careless handling, unauthorized modifications, use of defective, improper, hand-loaded ammunition, customer abuse or neglect of the product, or other influences beyond Kimber Mfg., Inc.'s control. This warranty does not apply to normal wear of any parts, including metal, wood, plastic, rubber and other materials surface finish or if unauthorized repair and/or alteration has been performed. This warranty does not cover repairs related to unreasonable use, corrosion, failure to provide proper maintenance, damaged or shopworn display guns, gun barrels damaged by an obstructed bore or guns damaged in return shipment due to improper packing and handling.

Kimber Mfg., Inc. reserves the right to inspect any product before making any adjustment covered by this warranty.

Under no circumstances shall Kimber Mfg., Inc. be liable for incidental or consequential damages with respect to economic loss or injury or property damage whether the result of breach of express or implied warranty. Some states do not allow the exclusion of consequential or incidental damages so the limitation may not apply to you. This warranty gives only the original retail purchaser specific legal rights. Other rights may also be available which may vary from state to state.

The terms of this warranty cannot be changed except in writing by an officer of Kimber Mfg., Inc.

The Kimber factory at 1 Lawton Street, Yonkers, NY 10705 is the only authorized repair location.

(Lawrence County)

I don't wanna bash Kimbers, but I will say I don't like them... SA has a great warranty and stand behind their work. Springers are also a little better on price...

Personally, I don't think anyone is putting out a bad 1911 at the moment, so look around and don't just settle on 2 companies... The new Ruger 1911s have had a lot of good reports. Remington makes a decent 1911, as does Taurus. I just bought a Rock Island Armory and it's fit and finish is great... I owned it a whole 20 minutes before Lycan had it in pieces and was adjusting things and telling me what parts I need and how he can make it even better... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

The TRP is a great 1911 at any price, but so is the Colt GCT and it is $500 less and has a better grip. If you are going to torture your 1911, I'd go with a manufacturer that offers a lifetime warranty. I have four PT 1911's in .45 in my household and one of them (me personal gun) is approaching 6000 rds and has never failed once. Bold statement...Yes. True...absolutely. It is why each of my kids have a PT, and all four cost me $800 more than one TRP. I don't worry about the banner on the side that says Taurus when I print 5" groups at 50 yards with it on a regular basis. Smith and Wesson makes a 1911 that looks like it came from a custom shop without the price. I don't know what the warranty is on one. The new Ruger has gotten a lot of praise. Sig makes a good 1911 for $900. If price is no object and you want to be the envy of the folk at the range, go with Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. JMHO
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast