Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Of training axioms, truths and standards ……..

…… or Tactics, Techniques and Principles (a.k.a. TTP’s)

There are a number of members of this board who have collectively accrued many hours of formal training over a number of years.

I myself have accumulated over one thousand +.

Those of us who have either taken advantage of training opportunities or who have created opportunities have freely shared our knowledge and many of you have expressed gratitude either publicly or with the “rep point” thingy.

However, I’ve observed more than a few rather contentious exchanges when we’ve voiced our opinions on issues in strong and unbending tones. Some of you have even been offended.

I’m not going to make excuses for the manner by which some of us “deliver” our knowledge and information although I’ve personally always tried to use a “kinder, gentler” approach with the objective of trying to educate people.

What I’m attempting to do is explain why we are so unbending in our opinions. As can be expected, it’s due to our training background. To be honest, none of us invented any of the TTP’s that we preach, advocate and share with this board.

However, what we won’t do is compromise when it comes to TTP’s. For example, in one thread there was mention of “no advice being better than bad advice”. It may have seemed like a gruff and rude remark but unfortunately it is true.

When it comes to life and death situations, there is no room for compromise. We all need to employ the best TTP’s available in order to prevail. Those TTP’s that are widely accepted by the lion’s share of the training community as “industry standards” exist for a reason. And the reason is that they’ve been combat validated both on the street and on battlefields.

I guess what I’m trying to convey is that whenever you notice several of us in agreement on this or that issue, you certainly don’t have to take it as Gospel but do take it under advisement. And though you may not in every instance appreciate the delivery, the information is most likely valid and posted with the best of intentions for your consideration.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Of training axioms, truths and standards ……..

Bravo, Tony. Well said.
    No rep for you, I'm fresh out Till tomorrow

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Of training axioms, truths and standards ……..

OK, OK I bought a Glock. LOL
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

tony...

personally, i think you guys are a big part of making this forum the great forum that it is.

i often find myself waiting for you, hans, marc, lycan, etc. (and rule, pete, gunlawer for legal issues) to jump in to threads to clarify issues or set the record straight when people are giving out bad info.

thank you all for your input to the forum.

(Westmoreland County)

Here's how I look at it. This stuff is like looking at life and death. When you find something you believe will save you from death, you have to believe it 100%. When someone says something else it has to be wrong because what I BELIEVE is the thing that will keep me from being dead. Its almost (and I use the term loosely) like a religion. Youve dedicated time and effort into learning X ideas from Z person surely nothing can be better. I can understand that.

How I look at it. Its more like Bruce Lee. If I'm set in one modality then I've already failed. If the only way I know to react to B happening is with C approach, then I'm already screwed. If I know some of everything I can take and discard what works for me. Yeah sure this trainer killed 12 guys, but hes 5'5" and was a cop for 15 years. Will all his tactics work for me. No. Learn to be flexible and open to learning from everyone. Be fluid learn something from everyone (even if its only what won't work for you) and you stand to gain a lot. Some things are standard, a punch is a punch and watching the front sight is key for sure, but beyond that I don't think its too good to get overly locked into one thing or another.
    Last edited by Wasz; January 10th, 2008 at 08:59 PM.

(Beaver County)

Being rather new here, with no defensive firearm training, I give you and others the E.F. Hutton treatment: when you talk, I listen. I would like to publicly thank you all here.
    I vote the second first

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    Learn to be flexible and open to learning from everyone. Be fluid learn something from everyone (even if its only what won't work for you) and you stand to gain a lot.
    Every instructor from whom I've attended classes has advised me to attend training classes from those other than themselves.

Some things are standard, a punch is a punch and watching the front sight is key for sure, but beyond that I don't think its too good to get overly locked into one thing or another.
    It isn't good to be overly dogmatic but "what" is taught must be chosen carefully and must have had some validity in the real world else it's all just theory.

While it's fine to experiment, theories at some point must be proven.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Every instructor from whom I've attended classes has advised me to attend training classes from those other than themselves.

It isn't good to be overly dogmatic but "what" is taught must be chosen carefully and must have had some validity in the real world else it's all just theory.

While it's fine to experiment, theories at some point must be proven.
    I'm always happy when i hear an instructor say "This is something i've changed my opinion on over the years." That statement tells me, that, like myself, this instructor is not locked into any particular way of doing things and is constantly exploring new ideas and seeking better ways. Basically, it tells me that they're as dedicated to the study as I am and not just their own tactical dogma. Furthermore, by going over what they used to believe and why they changed their minds, it equips the student with the ability to engage in rational thought processes when confronted with the other way of doing it.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Bravo, Tony. Well said.
    No rep for you, I'm fresh out Till tomorrow
    i gave him one for you.

i try not to respond to questions that i think i know the answer to.

there is the old saying. it is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it.

(Somerset County)

Tony,

I greatly value your opinion and find myself waiting to see your input on various threads. Thank you for sharing such information freely. Hopefully in the course of this new year my wife and I will be able to make it out and train with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast