Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Mailing a Firearm

Is it possible to UPS or FEDEX a firearm to yourself? For example, if you had to travel across states and didnt want to have the gun in your car because you were traveling through NJ or MD, so you overnight the gun to your destination where its legal?

Just curious and thought it was an interesting question.....

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Mailing a Firearm

Yes. dotdotdot

(Jefferson County)

Yes, its legal..

However, if you want to travel by car - its legal to have it in there under federal protections so long as it is unloaded, securely encased, ammo separate, gun case in the trunk and the firearm is legal at the destination point. The only time you need to really mail yourself a firearm is if you are driving through Canada to Alaska.

The only precautions you must take is - you cant stop for the sights in the states that dont honor your LTCF and side trips should be kept to a very minimum. You are allowed to stop for typical traveling needs like fuel, food, breakdowns, etc.

(Centre County)

As said previously, it is legal. I know several people that do that when they are going hunting out West and don't want to check the rifle on the aircraft. Mainly because the rifle or shotgun cases they would be checking would be easily identified as guns and they don't want to have them lifted. They ship them to themselves in care of the hunting lodge or friends house that they are hunting with. When done they ship them back home to themselves. They have never had any problems doing this.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yes, its legal..

However, if you want to travel by car - its legal to have it in there under federal protections so long as it is unloaded, securely encased, ammo separate, gun case in the trunk and the firearm is legal at the destination point. The only time you need to really mail yourself a firearm is if you are driving through Canada to Alaska.

The only precautions you must take is - you cant stop for the sights in the states that dont honor your LTCF and side trips should be kept to a very minimum. You are allowed to stop for typical traveling needs like fuel, food, breakdowns, etc.
    I agree, but be careful in certain states, MD and NY come to mind. NY could give a shit about Federal law. Food and fuel, although logical reasons for a short detour, may not be viewed as such by local LEO's. Sad, but a reality.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Indiana County)

I was checking on this myself a while back. Here is the UPS policy.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html

(Centre County)

Thanks for the info. I have to drive through MD and DE when I travel sometimes to get into VA, so I thought this might be a good idea depending on the cost and something to look into if it was possible.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rspowers View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have to drive through MD and DE when I travel sometimes to get into VA, so I thought this might be a good idea depending on the cost and something to look into if it was possible.
    For DE, the FL nonresident permit will cover you.

For MD, just say no (if at all possible, just don't go there -- why give them tolls, maybe have to end up buying gas or lunch in such a place?).

I just got my VA nonresident. Took about three weeks from the day I dropped the completed paperwork in the mail. Still waiting on FL.

I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I need to go out west this Spring but my airport destination looks to have to be Kalifornia (travelling with others so I'd like to travel with them) -- even if I can bring my guns in the required locked cases, do I need to buy a supply of limited 10 round mags to avoid arrest just passin' through? Sure looks that way. I'm still trying to figure a way I can ship the guns somewhere else and pick them up when I get there, avoiding Kali with the guns altogether.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Yes, its legal..

Exactly. I've driven up to Vermont several times and carried the handgun in that manner while I drove through NJ and NY. A friend of mine just moved to Arizona. he took his entire gun collection with him in the back of his pick-up truck on the way there.

Crossing through Canada to Alsaka with your firearms is not that big a deal if you fill out the paper work first. All hunting rifles are non-restricted and are pretty easy to brung up here. Even pistols and AR's are not that big a deal.

Just no full-auto or anything AK like. There are some others that are prohibited but the list is just stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast