Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default got my LTCF today

Finally picked it up and made the obligatory trip to Walmart. In the Monroe thread I shared my experiences with the Sheriff's deputy and promised to try to get him to smile, I came close today.

Background: In Monroe you file your application in the Sheriff's office in the County Courthouse. My first trip there I went empty -handed, walked in and told the Deputy that I wanted to apply for a carry permit. He says "do you got it?" I say "huh", He says "did you bring it with you" I say "bring what?" Then he says "turn around ... take an application on the wall". Then he explains what I need (tax return, names and address of references, etc).

Second trip: I bring in application with all required info and walk in to see the same Deputy, so, I say (brightly) "Good Morning". No response other than he takes my application, asks a few questions and tells me I should get a postcard in about 40 days. Post card arrives and I promise myself I will at least get him to say good morning if not smile.

Third trip, this morning, shortly after 8:00 am, I walk in, see an acquantance picking up his renewal, chat with him. Since the Deputy is helping him, the secretary takes my application. However, the Deputy finishes with the other guy and takes over for the secretary. So I make my pitch, starting with "How are you this morning" His response "Terrible" OMG I almost loled right there. But I keep my composure and say "terrible? It's only 8o am" So he says "yeah, but I have to work till 5 pm., that's terrible." So I say "well, at least tomorrow is Saturday, you dont work tomorrow do you?" That's when I got what was either a twitch or a partial smile out of him, it was hard to tell. I took my permit, looked it over and told him to have a good day, and he actually returned the favor with a "you too"!

(Perry County)

Default Re: got my LTCF today

Congrats on getting your LTCF! I remember your thread about Deputy Happy. I can't recall...did you purchase your handgun for CCW yet or not?

On a side note...why did they need your tax return? That seems quite odd.

Dave G.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
    On a side note...why did they need your tax return? That seems quite odd.
    yeah, no kidding. the more i read about te hoops pennsylvanians in some other counties have to jump through to get their LTCF, the more i appreciate sheriff defazio (of allegheny county).

(actually, i just realized sheriff defazio retired. i hope the new guy keeps the same policies.)

(Blair County)

Congratulations. Dealing with the Sheriffs office can definitely be a strange experience.

That is the first I've heard of needing a tax return as well. I'm curious why your driver's license isn't sufficient identification.

I'm always embarrassed because I have to ask to see the phone book to figure out who my references are going to be. I haven't actually lived there in quite a while.

This is a good time of year to be figuring out the whole concealment thing. If you try to conceal for the first time in warm weather, you walk around feeling like a leper for about a week, thinking everyone can see your gun. At least I did.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

Quote Originally Posted by DPB View Post
    If you try to conceal for the first time in warm weather, you walk around feeling like a leper for about a week, thinking everyone can see your gun. At least I did.
    He he ha ha Muhahaha! such a description, I would of said the hunchback of Notre-dame.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Blair County)

I usually use the term "hunchback" instead of "leper," but as you know, I've been accused of being insensitive lately, and I figured that it was less likely to have a leper here than a hunchback.

Maybe I should have said hunchback, as the Hunchback of Notre Dame is a Disney character, and I don't think they have any lepers.

Excellent picture, by the way.
    Last edited by DPB; November 17th, 2006 at 03:14 PM.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Monroe County)

thanks guys, yeah I have a G19, had it unloaded in the car while I got the license so I could carry in Walmart. I think they want the local tax return to make sure I am a resident, we are only 90 miles from New York and a few miles from New Jersey.

(Monroe County)

I'll second the reason for the Local Tax Return. The explination I got was due to the tourist nature of the Poconos and the many part-time residents who try to get a PA LTCF when they only have a vacation home, or something like that.
    No Signature Required

(Blair County)

I'm not saying that a given sheriff doesn't do this, but none of the reasons you guys have been given make any sense to me. Someone (and I don't mean anyone posting here) is making their own rules.

Point One, why doesn't your driver's license establish residence? If you are a legal resident of New York, New Jersey, or New Guinea, you generally wouldn't have a PA drivers license. And since your address is on that license, it should be fairly simple to determine what county the address is in.

Point Two, Pennsylvania allows non-resident permits. So, especially if you own a home (summer or not) in PA, why can you not qualify for a permit?

I forget the specific term, but this sounds like some sheriffs are making it more restrictive than state law specifies.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Carbon County)

Hmmm....so my 96 year old Grandma who no longer needs to file an earned income tax return couldnt get a LTCF?
    Does sound like BS by sheriff to me. Just one more hoop to jump through!
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast