Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ideal polymer 45acp - HK or FNP???

Does anyone have an opinion on the ideal polymer 45? I'm really considering the USP-45 or the FNP-USG 45. I know it's almost an apples and orange debate (price, round capacity, etc), but from the investigating I've done I think that I've narrowed it down to these two (I have not shot either one, which I think would probably give me my answer - but at this time it isn't an option). I am, however, leaning toward the FNP-45, but the only thing that concerns me is the "fat" grip. I have smaller hands, so I want something comfortable to shoot at the range - but I do like the 15 round option of the FNP.

Does anyone have input on what they like or if there's another polymer 45 that I should be looking into? (I've considered the Sig p220, and some others - but I'd really like to hear what other members think)

Thanks in advance for your opinions,
    Alex

Default Re: Ideal polymer 45acp - HK or FNP???

If you want a great feeling .45 polymer that won't break the bank and is a damn good gun, take a look at the Taurus 845. The only thing not awesome about the gun is Taurus' reputation, but that seems to be changing to the good. As far as the HK and the FN, I cannot compare because I have not owned an FN. I have shot a number of them and I cannot find fault in them other than it is not my favorite trigger, but it isn't bad. I have a USP Elite that is the most accurate polymer pistol I have ever shot, and has the best out of the box trigger on any polymer I hve shot as well. I find myself not taking a 1911 to the range as much since I got this beast. The Sig 220 is a great gun and is very accurate, as well, just not right there with the HK. You cannot go wrong with the Sig, HK, or by reputation, the FN. You have to really do some hands on before buying. These are $1000 guns, so don't be afraid to really handle them and get a feel for what you like.

Throw a G21 in the mix and you will make it even more interesting and complicated when it comes time to purchase. All is JMO.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

I'm a 1911 guy but, my buddy has a S&W M&P 45. I've shot it a lot. Fits my small hands, is utterly reliable, high cap, and affordable. Just another very good option.

(Allegheny County)

Since we recently had this discussion, and I posted a lot about what I think of the FNP 45 USG.

In summary;
    The FNP 45 is great.
    The grip is blocky but not too big for small hands - you will be able to reach all controls and the trigger comfortably even with smaller girl sized hands.
    The recoil is extremely tame.
    The gun is accurate.
    It holds a shit ton of ammo!

Here is the link.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/14...ze-45-acp.html

(Monroe County)

The FNP by far , far better customer service and support.

Personally i do not buy German Guns so i'm biased.

In a DA .45 nothing touches a SIG 220 series, personally i have this one, a 220 carry, sadly the frame is made in Germany.

Go for the FNP
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have an FNP and it's one of my favorite pistols. It's accurate, eats everything you feed it, and has a great single action trigger. I have large hands and I opted to use the flat mainspring cover rather than the arched. I thought it just felt better. It made a world of difference for my wife who has much smaller hands than me.

My father has an M&P 45. It too is a really nice gun. The grip angle and the ratio of the slide to the frame makes it sit low in the hands which gives a better feeling of control.

(Washington County)

The best ergonomically that I have found in your situation is the S&W M&P 45. Great gun, a little less capacity, but adjustable back strap, excellent customer service and it is a Smith.

(Allegheny County)

I appreciate the input. I've always been partial to glocks (probably because that's what I've had the most range time with), but I want something DA/SA - so I've ruled out the DAO, SA, and Striker-Fired 45s... I've shot the FNP-9 and for me it shoots well - that's why I'm considering the FN in 45. But there are so many choices out there as everyone has pointed out, as well as the cost of a "quality" firearm. It may take a while to make my decision and to actually purchase "my ideal polymer 45", but thank you to everyone who responded!
    Alex

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Since we recently had this discussion, and I posted a lot about what I think of the FNP 45 USG.

In summary;
    The FNP 45 is great.
    The grip is blocky but not too big for small hands - you will be able to reach all controls and the trigger comfortably even with smaller girl sized hands.
    The recoil is extremely tame.
    The gun is accurate.
    It holds a shit ton of ammo!

Here is the link.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/14...ze-45-acp.html
    LOL on the "girl sized hands"

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    The FNP by far , far better customer service and support.

Personally i do not buy German Guns so i'm biased.

In a DA .45 nothing touches a SIG 220 series, personally i have this one, a 220 carry, sadly the frame is made in Germany.

Go for the FNP
    Why wouldn't you buy German guns? Last time I checked they are one of the more reputable gun designers and manufacturers in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast