Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Having guns returned from police

Hello everyone,

I'm new to posting this forum but I have browsed on here before. I had a question and I thought this might be a good place to ask. Here is the story:

My grandfather had passed some older firearms down to me when he passed. They were being stored at my aunts house being that my uncle had a bigger safe where he also stored his firearms. However, my aunt decided to be a drunken fool one night and the police were called. She was arrested and they took the firearms all the firearms from the house. The arrest had nothing to do with the firearms they just didn't want them in the house with her. This was over 3 years ago and after many non returned phone calls to the police department, I am clueless on what to do. My grandfather didn't leave me any paperwork or proof of ownership for the firearms. Any words of wisdom would be great. Thank you.

Default Re: Having guns returned from police

You have an uphill battle, if the guns were at your aunt's house, and there was no paperwork from your grandfather's estate.

Offhand, you may want to send a certified demand letter to the police, the kind where you get the green post card back. Mention the guns, include proof of ownership. Include a notarized statement from your aunt that the guns are not hers, they are yours, you inherited them from the grandfather.

If a formal estate was raised, there should be a filing that notes that the guns went to you. But a lot of estates are handled in a sloppy manner.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Having guns returned from police

Quote Originally Posted by crazy mailman View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to posting this forum but I have browsed on here before. I had a question and I thought this might be a good place to ask. Here is the story:

My grandfather had passed some older firearms down to me when he passed. They were being stored at my aunts house being that my uncle had a bigger safe where he also stored his firearms. However, my aunt decided to be a drunken fool one night and the police were called. She was arrested and they took the firearms all the firearms from the house. The arrest had nothing to do with the firearms they just didn't want them in the house with her. This was over 3 years ago and after many non returned phone calls to the police department, I am clueless on what to do. My grandfather didn't leave me any paperwork or proof of ownership for the firearms. Any words of wisdom would be great. Thank you.
    I defiantly agree with the above post. I also think you should go to the police station and ask for whoever is in charge and speak with them. Usually if someone doesn't return multiple calls and you show up in person, things start getting done. Because they can't just ignore you.