Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default NEWTOWN-Westboro Church may be planning protest at Sunday's funeral of fallen soldier

Right around the corner from me

Westboro Baptist Church may be planning protest at Sunday's funeral of fallen soldier in Newtown

Published: Tuesday, August 02, 2011
    By Jeff Werner
    BucksLocalNews.com

NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP - The Westboro Baptist Church, an independent Kansas-based institution known for its extreme stance against homosexuality and its protest activities at military funerals, may be planning a protest for Sunday at the Newtown Township funeral of Sergeant First Class Kenneth B. Elwell.

Elwell, a native of Holland, was killed in action on July 17 while serving his country in Afghanistan. His funeral is scheduled for Sunday afternoon and evening at the Church of Saint Andrew in Newtown Township.

While Elwell's funeral was not listed on the church’s official picket schedule as of Monday evening, Westboro has issued a rote press release saying, “God hates America and is killing our troops in his wrath (over homosexuality) -- this message to be preached in respectful, lawful proximity to the memorials” of Sgt. 1st Class Elwell on Sunday at 5:15 p.m. at the Church of Saint Andrew, Newtown, and again on Aug. 10 at 12:15 p.m. at Arlington National Cemetery where Elwell will be buried.

The same rote press release was issued for Sgt. Brian K. Mowery who will be laid to rest on Aug. 2 at the Fort Indiantown Gap National Cemetery in Annville, Lebanon County. Mowery, a National Guardsman, was killed July 18 in Afghanistan.

Earlier this year, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 8-1 that Westboro’s protests at military funerals constituted free speech. The decision was in response to a suit brought by Albert Snyder, the father of Matthew Snyder, a U.S. Marine who was killed in Iraq. In 2006, Westboro picketed the Marine’s funeral in Maryland with banners saying, "God hates fags" and "Thank God for dead soldiers.”

Sgt. 1st Class Elwell, who was stationed at Ft. Wainwright, Alaska, with the 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment, 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, enlistment in the United States Army in 1997 after graduating from Council Rock High School.

The 33-year-old served one tour of duty each in Bosnia, South Korea and Afghanistan and two tours in Iraq.
    The Patriot Guard has already stated they will be there. Gotta contact them to see how I can help

(Bucks County)

Default Re: NEWTOWN-Westboro Church may be planning protest at Sunday's funeral of fallen sol

Someone really needs to stop these people. I know freedom of speech & all but what they're doing is despicable. Who's funding these people that they can afford to travel across the country to do this kind of stuff anyway ??
    Jesus is Lord !

(Bucks County)

Default Re: NEWTOWN-Westboro Church may be planning protest at Sunday's funeral of fallen sol

Could you please post the link for the article.

(Bucks County)

(Bucks County)

I'm in.
    That's pretty close to me, also.
    If they show up I'm firing up the Super Chicken and riding down there.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Someone really needs to stop these people. I know freedom of speech & all but what they're doing is despicable. Who's funding these people that they can afford to travel across the country to do this kind of stuff anyway ??

Every single last one of them is a lawyer. They love to sue people, municipalities and organizations that deny them their right to free speech.

And that is mainly how they stay afloat.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Cumberland County)

I gotta say that I really don't agree with how these people choose to spread their message, its a shame they choose to be so hurtful towards others and have such disrespect for the feelings of the grieving families. That being said, you can't pick and choose which constitutional liberties you want respected and when/how. EVERY soldier whose funeral they have protested SWORE an oath to uphold the United States Constitution (still includes the first amendment last I checked) and that includes the right to peaceable protest, EVEN IF IT IS OFFENSIVE TO OTHERS!!!

I'll be the first to say I don't think anyone who died in the last 10 years of war (and much longer back if we want to delve into our history) has died "serving" their country, no they were serving the interests of the corporate/banking/globalist scum who really run this country, wether they knew it or not. BUT IF WE ALLOW THE FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS OF THIS GROUP OR ANY OTHER TO BE TRAMPLED ON THEN THOSE WHO ALLEGEDLY DIED FOR OUR FREEDOMS WILL DEFINITELY HAVE DIED IN VAIN!!!

YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!!!
    MOLON LABE

(Cumberland County)

Preparing to be flamed...
    MOLON LABE

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHands View Post
    I gotta say that I really don't agree with how these people choose to spread their message, its a shame they choose to be so hurtful towards others and have such disrespect for the feelings of the grieving families. That being said, you can't pick and choose which constitutional liberties you want respected and when/how. EVERY soldier whose funeral they have protested SWORE an oath to uphold the United States Constitution (still includes the first amendment last I checked) and that includes the right to peaceable protest, EVEN IF IT IS OFFENSIVE TO OTHERS!!!

I'll be the first to say I don't think anyone who died in the last 10 years of war (and much longer back if we want to delve into our history) has died "serving" their country, no they were serving the interests of the corporate/banking/globalist scum who really run this country, wether they knew it or not. BUT IF WE ALLOW THE FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS OF THIS GROUP OR ANY OTHER TO BE TRAMPLED ON THEN THOSE WHO ALLEGEDLY DIED FOR OUR FREEDOMS WILL DEFINITELY HAVE DIED IN VAIN!!!

YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!!!
    You wont get a flaming from me. I agree 100%. I took the same oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. Just because I am finished serving my time, it doesn't mean the I will no longer honor that oath.

As much as I dislike them. I supported the Supreme Court Decision protecting their rights. They have EVERY right to be the asshats they are being. It is also my right to protest and scream louder. That's what the Patriot Guard does and it is the reason why I am offering them my support.

The only part where I am a bit conflicted is that your 1st amendment right does not give you the right to harass someone. You are allowed to peacefully assemble, but when it crosses the line into harassment, it is NOT covered. Are their protests harassment? Some would argue that they are. I tend to disagree because it is one day. If they followed the family home and continued to protest on the street in front of their house, YES.

Still, I can pray to god that he punishes them in a way he see's fit.
    Last edited by jimbo; August 3rd, 2011 at 01:59 PM.

(Cumberland County)

Jimbo I really appreciate your intellectual integrity. Not alot of people have that, they always have an excuse why "this case is different". Kudos to you for NOT being a member of that crowd.
    MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast