Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default HD with a choke?

I understand what the function of a choke is, so I am not looking for an explaination of it.

I was really just wondering if anyone who has a shotgun, with an 18 inch barrel, that they use for home defense (or a bug out gun) that has a removable or adjustable choke?
    I have a Mossy 500 C (20 gauge) that I was thinking about making into a "survival" gun.
    It has a hollow stock, so it has plenty of emergency gear storage.
    My wife and 11 year old can handle that shotgun better than my 12 gauge.
    I would like to have an 18 inch barrel on it, but do not want to destroy the 24inch barrel with accuchoke.
    I want to retain the ability to use the gun for hunting, and for clays.

So chokes on HD shotguns?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: HD with a choke?

Sure, having the option to change chokes is always welcome. My gun currently has a 22" barrel, but you can have guns tapped for chokes by most smiths.

Lycangoforitthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

My 870 tactical express came with a rem-choke barrel. 18.5" gun. The breaching choke that came with it was cool and all but I went with a few normal chokes I switch out depending on what I shoot out of it.

(Allegheny County)

i thought that this was going to be about an old harley with a choke on the carb.

(Schuylkill County)

I have an 870 20 gauge with an 18.5" barrel and a full choke for my HD gun. The barrel came threaded from the factory and I think it's a very nice feature. It also has a wood 12" LOP stock, it's perfect for HD. It's also very effective on clays and lots of fun.
    Respect Few.....Fear None

(Lancaster County)

Thanks for the answers guys!
    I wasn't sure if there would be enough "meat" left in the barrel after it was cut down to re-thread it for a choke.
    I will just take my new barrel (picking one up this week) and take it to the local smith to cut threads.
    This way I can use the same Accuchokes I use in my full length barrel

I had considered having a Pollychoke put on a HD barrel, but it seems like it kind of defeats the purpose of cutting the barrel down to just go and add another 2 to 3 inches back onto it for a choke.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    but it seems like it kind of defeats the purpose of cutting the barrel down to just go and add another 2 to 3 inches back onto it for a choke.
    Which is exactly why the extended tactic00l breaching choke the gun came with had to go. It added 2" to the end of the gun. I thought about switching to a larger magazine extension - like one you would run on a 20" gun. But decided the internal chokes were easy enough to work with, and being so common - were cheap.

So I just picked a few of those up.

(Allegheny County)

I understand what the function of a choke is, so I am not looking for an explaination of it.

I was really just wondering if anyone who has a shotgun, with an 18 inch barrel, that they use for home defense (or a bug out gun) that has a removable or adjustable choke?
    I have a Mossy 500 C (20 gauge) that I was thinking about making into a "survival" gun.
    It has a hollow stock, so it has plenty of emergency gear storage.
    My wife and 11 year old can handle that shotgun better than my 12 gauge.
    I would like to have an 18 inch barrel on it, but do not want to destroy the 24inch barrel with accuchoke.
    I want to retain the ability to use the gun for hunting, and for clays.

So chokes on HD shotguns?
    Why would one need a choke on a HD/bugout shotgun? Answer: you don't. Why do you need a 18" barrel on a survival shotgun? Answer: you don't.

Unless you just want to play with it a bit, and have the disposable income, don't waste your time. 6" of barrel length is not much difference. Ya, it looks cool having a 18" barrel shotgun, but IMHO, it really doesn't benefit you any by giving up the 6". The shotgun is much more versatile with a 24" barrel and swappable chokes. My current Tactical shotgun is a Remy 1100 with a 24" barrel, removable chokes, and a +4 (removable) mag ext. If you have to have a 18" barrel, just buy one and keep the 24" for other uses. Don't concern yourself with a choke on the 18". You can still use a 18" with cylinder bore or improved cylinder for HD/clays/taking game.
    Last edited by Hawk; August 3rd, 2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Why would one need a choke on a HD/bugout shotgun? Answer: you don't. Why do you need a 18" barrel on a survival shotgun? Answer: you don't.

Unless you just want to play with it a bit, and have the disposable income, don't waste your time. 6" of barrel length is not much difference. Ya, it looks cool having a 18" barrel shotgun, but IMHO, it really doesn't benefit you any by giving up the 6". The shotgun is much more versatile with a 24" barrel and swappable chokes. My current Tactical shotgun is a Remy 1100 with a 24" barrel, removable chokes, and a +4 (removable) mag ext. If you have to have a 18" barrel, just buy one and keep the 24" for other uses. Don't concern yourself with a choke on the 18". You can still use a 18" with cylinder bore or improved cylinder for HD/clays/taking game.
    You may have misunderstood me...
    I have zero plans to alter the 24 inch barrel at all.
    I am going to buy another barrel that is either already 18 (or so) inches, or I am going to buy one to cut down.
    The question was about choking the 18 inch barrel.
    I have never had a shotgun with a barrel that short, and while I am aware that there is no problem using a cylinder bore, I like the option of being able to tune my pattern.
    As for no benifit... 18 inches is easier to store, say in a compartment in my truck or under a seat.
    It is also easier to handle in tight quarters, such as a hallway

(Allegheny County)

You may have misunderstood me...
    I have zero plans to alter the 24 inch barrel at all.
    I am going to buy another barrel that is either already 18 (or so) inches, or I am going to buy one to cut down.
    The question was about choking the 18 inch barrel.
    I have never had a shotgun with a barrel that short, and while I am aware that there is no problem using a cylinder bore, I like the option of being able to tune my pattern.
    As for no benifit... 18 inches is easier to store, say in a compartment in my truck or under a seat.
    It is also easier to handle in tight quarters, such as a hallway
    I understood...
    All I'm saying is there is really no need to choke the 18" (IMHO) if you keep the 24".
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast