Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NJ handgun owner wanting to shoot in PA

Hello All-
    I've done some searching through the forums, but have been unable to find an answer to my specific question, so I wanted to come right out and ask it...

I live in NJ, and recently purchased a Beretta Px4 Storm in .40 cal. My dad has property in the Poconos, near Lake Wallenpaupack, and I'm heading up there this weekend. My buddy, who is a federal Border Patrol agent, and I would like to do some shooting, and I'd like to make sure that it's legal for me to fire my handgun in PA.

I know that PA and NJ do not have reciprocity when it comes to CCW permits, and that I'm legally able to transport my gun and ammunition, as long as they are in separate containers, in the trunk, and the gun is unloaded. What I'm unsure of is whether or not my firearms ID card, and my licensed NJ firearm are legal to fire in PA, on private property.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

JR

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: NJ handgun owner wanting to shoot in PA

Im far from a lawyer, and don't have anything to back this up

But I figure so long as you are shooting legally in PA, and transporting it out of NJ in a legal fashion, you should be fine to shoot to your heart's content in PA.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jacknifetoaswan View Post
    Hello All-
    I've done some searching through the forums, but have been unable to find an answer to my specific question, so I wanted to come right out and ask it...

I live in NJ, and recently purchased a Beretta Px4 Storm in .40 cal. My dad has property in the Poconos, near Lake Wallenpaupack, and I'm heading up there this weekend. My buddy, who is a federal Border Patrol agent, and I would like to do some shooting, and I'd like to make sure that it's legal for me to fire my handgun in PA.

I know that PA and NJ do not have reciprocity when it comes to CCW permits, and that I'm legally able to transport my gun and ammunition, as long as they are in separate containers, in the trunk, and the gun is unloaded. What I'm unsure of is whether or not my firearms ID card, and my licensed NJ firearm are legal to fire in PA, on private property.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

JR
    Once in PA, we don't care where the firearm came from or if you'd like to shoot it here. PA (outside of Philly), you can OC without a permit on foot. In your car, it has to be unloaded and secured if you don't have a PA LTCF or another states, but you are then allowed to travel DIRECTLY to/from a range/target shooting purposes without a LTCF/permit

The concern here with you (and tons of controversy and personal opinion) is how you would legally get the firearm from NJ to PA.

Just be sure you are complying with NJ transport laws. That one is on you, and it’s quite a can of worms. Once in Pa a handgun must be transported directly to and from where you are shooting. So in your case directly to your fathers house, and since you are shooting on his property you will be fine. Be sure shooting on this property is lawful. There is no specific state law against it, but some municipalities can have ordinances regarding discharging a firearm. If you have any type of state issued carry permit regardless of reciprocity you don't have to be concerned with transporting a handgun loaded or not while in a vehicle. Reciprocity kicks in when you exit the vehicle, but then you could OC as mentioned except in Philly without a ltcf or reciprocal equivalent.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    So in your case directly to your fathers house, and since you are shooting on his property you will be fine. Be sure shooting on this property is lawful. There is no specific state law against it, but some municipalities can have ordinances regarding discharging a firearm.
    So, I can shoot on my property as long as I have enough land and my town doesn't have an issue with it? I don't need 5+ acres? Cause, I know in FL (Marion & Citrus Counties) you need to have 5+ acres outside of town limits. But, again, we're in PA and not FL. Lol.

Thanks for the information, guys.

My dad has 18 acres, so the amount of land shouldn't be an issue, and according to handgunlaws.us, as long as I've properly secured the gun, in the trunk, with the ammunition, and it's inaccessible to me, NJ and PA ascribe to the federal laws that state that as long as the firearm is legal in the state in which it originated (NJ) and that my possession of the firearm is legal in the state in which travel terminates (PA), and that I'm properly licensed (with NJ FID card) I'm solid. I'm also traveling directly to my dad's place from my house in NJ (with a short stop for the dog to pee), so I don't anticipate any issues there.

My dad's concern arose from one of his neighbors saying that a buddy of his brought a properly licensed NJ handgun to a hunting camp in PA, and was arrested while at the camp. My assumption was that he was CARRYING, not just in possession, and that was the offense. I didn't believe that there was any issue with him having the gun and/or shooting it, just that it was concealed or open-carried on his person.

JR

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jacknifetoaswan View Post
    Thanks for the information, guys.

My dad has 18 acres, so the amount of land shouldn't be an issue, and according to handgunlaws.us, as long as I've properly secured the gun, in the trunk, with the ammunition, and it's inaccessible to me, NJ and PA ascribe to the federal laws that state that as long as the firearm is legal in the state in which it originated (NJ) and that my possession of the firearm is legal in the state in which travel terminates (PA), and that I'm properly licensed (with NJ FID card) I'm solid. I'm also traveling directly to my dad's place from my house in NJ (with a short stop for the dog to pee), so I don't anticipate any issues there.

My dad's concern arose from one of his neighbors saying that a buddy of his brought a properly licensed NJ handgun to a hunting camp in PA, and was arrested while at the camp. My assumption was that he was CARRYING, not just in possession, and that was the offense. I didn't believe that there was any issue with him having the gun and/or shooting it, just that it was concealed or open-carried on his person.

JR
    You're talking about FOPA protection. A TON more controversy on that too if it protects you from bordering states or only in states in between.
    Search FOPA on here.

He must have been concealing it.... Open Carry is legal in PA (outside Philly) without any need for a LTCF/CCW if you're 18+

Quote Originally Posted by iMoses14 View Post
    So, I can shoot on my property as long as I have enough land and my town doesn't have an issue with it? I don't need 5+ acres? Cause, I know in FL (Marion & Citrus Counties) you need to have 5+ acres outside of town limits. But, again, we're in PA and not FL. Lol.
    So long as you have a safe backstop, and you are not in conflict with any ordinances, such as discharging a firearm or noise, you're GTG.

Having neighbors that don't bitch and complain help too.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    So long as you have a safe backstop, and you are not in conflict with any ordinances, such as discharging a firearm or noise, you're GTG.

Having neighbors that don't bitch and complain help too.
    I think I'm in need of doing something for a backstop, but that should be no big deal. As for the neighbors, most of them are cool, but the woman across the lake has a random assortment of farm animals, and is best described by other neighbors as a word that starts with a 'c' and rhymes with 'runt'.

JR

(Chester County)

Because the 'range' is an impromptu private setup you are in a gray area. Certainly there is no problem when you are in Pa but the issue you have is during your travels within NJ.

To transport you pistol without an NJCCW you must meet one of several exemptions to the proscription of 2C:39-5b. The specific exemption that you would be relying on is:

NJS 2C:39-6f

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder;
    The issue is whether 'authorized' is read to apply to the target range. If it is than an impromptu range may not indeed qualify for the exemption and handgun possession while traveling in NJ would be essentially a felony (5 years). Don't think there's any case law and, as such, you left up to assigning you own comfort level with whatever interpretation you might want to ascribe to the statute.

As to FOPA, it most likely does not apply in your circumstances. Read:

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...ly-report.html
    IANAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast