Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the better round? I like the 06 personally in a Remy, SF, Winchester even a Mauser buddy of mines likes .303 and the Enfiled. What do you think?
    Last edited by Neko456; August 1st, 2011 at 06:27 PM.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the better round? I like the 06 personally in a Remy, SF, Winchester even a Mauser buddy of mines likes .303 and the Enfiled. What do you think?
    Pretty close, figure about 200-300 fps slower for .303 fired from a service rifle, over a 22" sporter; at least that is what I got chronographing my No4 MkII vs my 700 Rem. Better?... I handload for both, and for whatever reason I find shooting the Lee-Enfield so much more satisfying. Better is at times hard to qualify, w/o knowing what criteria you need to allow for.

(Somerset County)

For hunting purposes, grab one and go, the critter won't notice the difference.

The '06 has an edge in velocity, availability of ammo and rifles, ammo cost, and bullet selection.

303 has the edge on 'cool and unique'.

I'd like to own a Ruger No. 1 chambered in 303.

Dale

My Buddy's Enfield with .303 ammo seems to recoil far harder then my Modern rifles or my sporterized 1917 shooting like or heavier 06. The 06 groups are tighter down range no matter who shooting the rifles as long as they can shoot.

I do like the Enfiled's balance and mag capacity. And would like one in 06 or .308, I don't know why but I don't seem to like .303 not when .308, 7mm,.270, 30-06 or .300 win mag are available. Or .243. Why reach out if we got it beat here?

Unless we talking cars.

(Dauphin County)

What do you think the British used in Africa a 30-06 or the .303 British, to put it simply the .303 British has killed more big game than the American 30-06 ever will.

Look at all the countries below who have used the Enfield rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_...lth_of_Nations

(Perry County)

Given the number of Americans hunting and the number of Brits hunting even world wide I doubt the .303 has killed more game. Remember there are traditionally about 1 mill deer hunters in Pa. How many people would be able to book a safari in Africa a year?

Also, the 30-06 is the next generation military round, the 30 Krag is a closer approximation of the .303. On a ballistics basis the 30-06 is a clear winner. As mentioned above on coolness, well that is in the eye of the beholder.

I have both love both think both are more than adequate for anything that walk in the lower 48 except those really big griz i the Rockies.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    My Buddy's Enfield with .303 ammo seems to recoil far harder then my Modern rifles or my sporterized 1917 shooting like or heavier 06. The 06 groups are tighter down range no matter who shooting the rifles as long as they can shoot.
    I haven't shot .303 in quite a while but I found the recoil to be much tamer than .30-06. Sorta like .30-30.

But, it's been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    Pretty close, figure about 200-300 fps slower for .303 fired from a service rifle, over a 22" sporter; at least that is what I got chronographing my No4 MkII vs my 700 Rem. Better?... I handload for both, and for whatever reason I find shooting the Lee-Enfield so much more satisfying. Better is at times hard to qualify, w/o knowing what criteria you need to allow for.
    I think folks forget that the Enfield is fast-cocking for a bolt gun..I like them too, just never got around to collecting them as I have always been a Mauser guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFYZHLuxXZ8
    Last edited by Fred762; June 28th, 2018 at 12:47 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    I think folks forget that the Enfield is fast-cocking for a bolt gun..I like them too, just never got around to collecting them as I have always been a Mauser guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFYZHLuxXZ8
    You bring up an interesting point: there is the cartridge, and then there is the (common) weapon. With regard to the cartridge, the .30-06 is clearly superior to the .303 with regard to the range of bullets available in both commercial loads and availability for reloading (.55 grain sabot to 280 grain experimental - squirrel to Grizzly), and with respect to cartridge case volume, which determines maximum velocity attainable for that cartridge, as well as the benefits which accrue to rimless cartridge cases as regards feeding and magazine capacity (the .303 has a larger base diameter than the .30-06, leading to higher capacity for a given magazine depth) - and inferior in any circumstance in which having a rim is preferable from a headspacing or extraction point of view. I'll neglect the issue of boxer vs Berdan primers.

But with regard to the (common) weapon, IF we are restricting the nature thereof to bolt-action, typically as used in military applications, there is NO question that the Enfield action is - from a sustainable volume of fire point of view - superior to every other bolt action ever fielded by a military service. Not, necessarily, I might add, from a simplicity point of view, or accuracy (although the rifles were very accurate, vs. the carbine), but clearly, the Enfield was a top-tier bolt action among those that were deployed over the 20th century. Once the transition is made to modern weapons, however, which are dominated by semi-automatic or select-fire weapons, rimmed cartridges are at a disadvantage. And in full-automatic operation - "assault weapon" applications - with the possible exception of the very heavy BAR, neither is suitable for suppressive fire operation, owing to excessive recoil.

But for pure versatility, including range of bullet weights, range of widely available commercial off-the shelf loads available at the local store, range of commercially available bolt action rifles, and availability of semi-automatic rifles, the .30-06 has to be considered superior. Yet I LOVE my Enfield Carbine. And I mean LOVE it.

(Westmoreland County)

Old old post but . iMHO the the 06 can do everything 303 can do the reverse can't be claimed .yeah yeah the 303 has taken African game so has the various 6.5mm rounds same for the 7x57 if used back then the 06 could take those same animals and also wound just as many as the others have . This whole thing is the same old campfire talk as which is better the 30-30 vs the 32 spl . They are both similar well ok a huge .004" difference and ones a few MM longer ,like I first said whatever the 303 can do the the 30-06 can do just a bit better in all aspects. This if from a purely ballistic and loading standpoint not a which gun is better for whatever argument . I've owned shot and reloaded both in military dress and can say Both do what they suppose to in the game field or the battle field .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast