Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Midwest City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,224
    Rep Power
    1016

    Default How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

    How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the better round? I like the 06 personally in a Remy, SF, Winchester even a Mauser buddy of mines likes .303 and the Enfiled. What do you think?
    Last edited by Neko456; August 1st, 2011 at 06:27 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Sticks
    Posts
    464
    Rep Power
    2110

    Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the better round? I like the 06 personally in a Remy, SF, Winchester even a Mauser buddy of mines likes .303 and the Enfiled. What do you think?
    Pretty close, figure about 200-300 fps slower for .303 fired from a service rifle, over a 22" sporter; at least that is what I got chronographing my No4 MkII vs my 700 Rem. Better?... I handload for both, and for whatever reason I find shooting the Lee-Enfield so much more satisfying. Better is at times hard to qualify, w/o knowing what criteria you need to allow for.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somerset, Pennsylvania
    (Somerset County)
    Posts
    1,597
    Rep Power
    118655

    Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

    For hunting purposes, grab one and go, the critter won't notice the difference.

    The '06 has an edge in velocity, availability of ammo and rifles, ammo cost, and bullet selection.

    303 has the edge on 'cool and unique'.

    I'd like to own a Ruger No. 1 chambered in 303.

    Dale

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Midwest City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,224
    Rep Power
    1016

    Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

    My Buddy's Enfield with .303 ammo seems to recoil far harder then my Modern rifles or my sporterized 1917 shooting like or heavier 06. The 06 groups are tighter down range no matter who shooting the rifles as long as they can shoot.

    I do like the Enfiled's balance and mag capacity. And would like one in 06 or .308, I don't know why but I don't seem to like .303 not when .308, 7mm,.270, 30-06 or .300 win mag are available. Or .243. Why reach out if we got it beat here?

    Unless we talking cars.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    149
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

    What do you think the British used in Africa a 30-06 or the .303 British, to put it simply the .303 British has killed more big game than the American 30-06 ever will.

    Look at all the countries below who have used the Enfield rifle.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_...lth_of_Nations

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Newport, Pennsylvania
    (Perry County)
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    3903

    Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

    Given the number of Americans hunting and the number of Brits hunting even world wide I doubt the .303 has killed more game. Remember there are traditionally about 1 mill deer hunters in Pa. How many people would be able to book a safari in Africa a year?

    Also, the 30-06 is the next generation military round, the 30 Krag is a closer approximation of the .303. On a ballistics basis the 30-06 is a clear winner. As mentioned above on coolness, well that is in the eye of the beholder.

    I have both love both think both are more than adequate for anything that walk in the lower 48 except those really big griz i the Rockies.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    823
    Rep Power
    101852

    Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

    However, the point was "big game", not PA deer with the 0.303 versus 30.06. These included elephants, rhinos and the large cats. Dave_n

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Midwest City, Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,224
    Rep Power
    1016

    Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

    The point is if the .303 could do it the 30-06 would do it better. The Brits pushed the .303 in Africa that still doesn't make it a better round IMO on paper or real target results.

    I will admit that the Enfleld and .303 or in .308 is a good combo.
    Last edited by Neko456; August 3rd, 2011 at 12:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    149
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    Given the number of Americans hunting and the number of Brits hunting even world wide I doubt the .303 has killed more game. Remember there are traditionally about 1 mill deer hunters in Pa. How many people would be able to book a safari in Africa a year?

    Also, the 30-06 is the next generation military round, the 30 Krag is a closer approximation of the .303. On a ballistics basis the 30-06 is a clear winner. As mentioned above on coolness, well that is in the eye of the beholder.

    I have both love both think both are more than adequate for anything that walk in the lower 48 except those really big griz i the Rockies.
    I always said you can't trust anyone from Perry County.

    A little world history, the .303 British has covered more ground than than "ANY" American caliber cartridge. Think about it, how many "colonies" did the U.S. have overseas and how many colonies dumped tea in Boston harbor. "YOU" didn't read the list of countries from the link I provided.

    And last but not least, how many stop lights do you have in Perry county now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Newport, Pennsylvania
    (Perry County)
    Posts
    1,105
    Rep Power
    3903

    Default Re: How close does .303 compare to 30-06 which is the best?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    I always said you can't trust anyone from Perry County.

    A little world history, the .303 British has covered more ground than than "ANY" American caliber cartridge. Think about it, how many "colonies" did the U.S. have overseas and how many colonies dumped tea in Boston harbor. "YOU" didn't read the list of countries from the link I provided.

    And last but not least, how many stop lights do you have in Perry county now.
    There may have been a lot of coutries "using" the 303, but not as much fighting. In WW1 the Brits did a lions share of the fighting, but even with the Anzacs and Canadians helping out there wee more Japs and Krauts killed with the 30-06 than the .303.

    As to how many lights, just the one in Marysville there to keep the Dauphin Co riff raff out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 41
    Last Post: July 15th, 2011, 05:26 PM
  2. [CLOSED] Fo' SAIL: 250-count UMC 9mm; compare to Wal-Mart!
    By Yentl Marmelstein in forum Classifieds Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 15th, 2011, 12:10 PM
  3. Compare these two quotes...
    By camper in forum General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 8th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops