Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default GOA Alert. Super Congress

Gun Owners of America
    Urgent Action Needed!
    Congress to decide whether Super Congress could impose gun control

Gun owner registration … bans on semi-automatic firearms … adoption of a UN gun control treaty -- all of these issues could very well be decided over the next 24 hours.

Both houses of Congress will be voting on a debt ceiling bill that establishes a legislative committee with TREMENDOUS powers. Fox News is calling this committee a SUPER CONGRESS, because its legislative proposals (which could include gun control provisions) CANNOT be filibustered or amended in the Senate or House.

To understand what a huge deal this is, consider that House Speaker John Boehner is able to keep a mountain of gun control bills from coming to the floor of the House. That’s the power of the Speaker.

And in the Senate, we have been able to kill much of the gun control agenda by filibustering legislation (that is, requiring the Majority Leader to get a supermajority or 60 votes in order to pass gun control).

The most recent example of this occurred earlier this year when we defeated a radical, anti-gun judicial nomination (Goodwin Liu) using the filibuster. The filibuster has been our saving grace in the Senate, but that could be tossed within the next 24 hours.

Regarding the debt ceiling compromise, here’s what one legislative analyst (inside a Republican office on Capitol Hill) had to say:

Right now, we have limited protection from the schemes of the left – even if they have some Republican support, we have a speaker who wouldn’t bring horrible bills to the floor, and we have the Senate filibuster.

Both of these are rendered moot by the Super committee. There is NO Senate filibuster on the product they report. The Speaker CANNOT stop a vote in the House….

[Hence], 22 liberal Republicans can join the Congressional Democrats and the President in: Closing the gun show “loophole,” banning semi-automatic weapons, creating a national handgun registration, or ordering state gun laws moot.

A super highway for gun control legislation? This is incredibly unconstitutional! We don’t elect a Congress, which can then turn around and elect a SUPER committee. We need to make sure this never lands on the President’s desk.

ACTION: Please email and call your Representative and Senators. Urge them to vote NO on establishing this SUPER CONGRESS with unconstitutional powers.

Click here to use the Gun Owners Legislative Action Center to send your legislators a pre-written e-mail message.
    Please do not reply directly to this message, as your reply will bounce back as undeliverable.
    Please foward this e-mail to friends and family
    Gun Owners of America
    8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102
    Springfield, VA 22151 703-321-8585
    www.gunowners.org
    Contact Form
    If this alert was forwarded to you, you can subscribe to receive alerts directly by clicking here.

If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click here.
    [SIGPIC]

Default Re: GOA Alert. Super Congress

Please post your thoughts on this, I'm very interested in hearing what you think. das
    [SIGPIC]

(Bucks County)

The road to tyranny is paved with Power Consolidation. And if a "super Congress" is not a Politburo, what is it ?
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Allegheny County)

They were talking about this on the radio today, scary shit.

(Monroe County)

I support the NRA, GOA, SAF.... and a few others I can't remember.

When I see posts marked "urgent" they better be really urgent because if not there is a risk crying wolf too many times and then "urgent" posts don't get attention. People become desensitized. I know that the leadership of the the various pro-gun groups does not always march to the beat of the same drum, but on matters of true urgency, I would think they can at least coordinate a news letter campaign on urgent matters, urging people to action.

I am not saying that this is not urgent or not real... but I would think if something was urgent I would have seen something from the other pro-gun organizations I am a member of too. Just one way I measure "urgent". From the perspective of legislators, getting groups from 3 pro-gun groups is a much more powerful message then getting calls from just one group. I get an email from Dudley Brown and the National Association for Gun Rights every day warning me that today is the day the sky will fall and I need to send money fast. I read it, but I do not act. I sort of look at Dudley Brown as a pro-gun rights gossip/drama group.

The following link says that there are enough votes in the Senate to block the UN Treaty from becoming law. How does this reconcile with the "Urgent" message from GOA?
    http://moran.senate.gov/public/index...8-d4437234be56

I just thought I would give you some feedback on what might be going through some peoples heads. Thanks for posting.

Again just to be clear... it is not that I don't believe this is an urgent issue that needs attention.... I am just questioning where are the other groups on this issue and why are there not 3 or 4 posts out there like this from other groups.
    Last edited by tsafa; August 1st, 2011 at 05:30 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Angry Re: GOA Alert. Super Congress

Molon labe.

(Lehigh County)

I have never been impressed with the GOA on their alerts.

One big thing is missing, any confirmation, whatsoever, from any Congressman or Senator, or citation from the proposals to be voted on, supporting the assertion that gun-control measures will or can be in any way shape or form addressed by said committee.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronSight View Post
    I have never been impressed with the GOA on their alerts.

One big thing is missing, any confirmation, whatsoever, from any Congressman or Senator, or citation from the proposals to be voted on, supporting the assertion that gun-control measures will or can be in any way shape or form addressed by said committee.
    I think It was Rand Paul who was talking about it today on the radio on Hannity. What he was basicly saying was that some things that would never even be introduced, and he mentioned Boehner's name and used an example of gun control. Said that now it can be by passed and brought to a vote by this committee if Boehner decided not to. And would only need a majority vote of 51 instead of 60 in the senate. Something along the lines that's how he put it.

There was more he was saying but this is what caught my attention.

(Delaware County)

Ron Paul wrote about it in a statement I assume he put out today:

http://paul.house.gov/index.php?opti...rticle&id=1902
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Do these idiots want civil war? I mean I realiz the idea of the super congress and it is 6 of each party, but they really need to confine themselves to spending or cutting and not getting involved in other stuff. I cant believe repubs are going to go along with this.

A majority of american voters dont think as evidenced by Obama being president. Many who voted for him like the second amendment and did not think of the danger of him appointing supreme court justices. People need to think.

This new "super congress" for liberals to use to take our guns is like saying to hilter "Hey there is this really neat thing that can happen if you split the atom"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast