Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default APEX Tactical kit

Just got through installing an Apex Tactical "Duty/Carry" kit for my Smith 642. It took me about an hour. I will be honest, the first time you remove the side plate on a revolver, it can look pretty intimidating. (I am no watch maker). At any rate, after listening to a few folks about the proper way to remove the side plate, (no wrenching or prying) the job was fairly easy. The kit comes with a new firing pin, firing pin spring, main spring and rebound slide spring. I lightly polished the surface of the rebound slide that contacts the frame. No engagement surfaces were stoned. I can't make it to the range this evening, but dry firing indicates a vast improvement over the stock parts. I am actually having a difficult time stacking the trigger because of the improvement. I will give a range report within the next few days. Good screwdrivers, a pair of flat needle nose pliars, a rubber mallet and a paper clip are all the tools you need. (The Brownells rebound slide tool would have been an added bonus, but not required.)
    Jules

Default Re: APEX Tactical kit

Be careful with Apex firing pins. I have used them in the past, and they sometimes stick in the firing pin bore. They seem to be very soft and gouge easily from hitting the firing pin retainer pin.
    I have gone to buying the old steel factory firing pins, and the Wolff spring kit. I have had no issues with these parts.

(Butler County)

Default Re: APEX Tactical kit

I put this kit in my 642 about a month ago and have fired about 200 rounds through it since without any issues. It makes the trigger pull a lot smoother and a little lighter.