Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry

(Northampton County)

Default Smartcarry

I got the smartcarry holster last week. When I first saw this thing I was like WTF, carry in your crotch, loaded weapon inches from your junk, business end pointed at the femoral artery?
    Well I gotta say this holster is great. I carry an XD45 and it is comfortable. I wore it to work (construction) sitting, standing, bending, squatting, driving, the works. Honestly I was surprised. I have to admit that without the gun I'm only packin a subbie LOL so that may enhance the comfort level but it's really functional. I don't carry +1 so I'm a little leery about carrying my Sp101 but maybe down the road.
    So far every time I've worn it I've had no discomfort. i guess time will tell but so far so good.
    BTW perfect with overalls that I wear alot.

But as long as the nation is obsessed with historic milestones, is no one going to remark on what a great country it is where a mentally retarded woman can become speaker of the house? - Ann Coulter

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Smartcarry

I'm glad to hear that you like it. I have had one for about 2 years now and wear it on a semi-regular basis. The holster is holding up well for being cloth, and allows me that extra concealment I need on occasion.

I'm just curious, how do you carry a full sized gun in your smartcarry? When I carry my snub it works great. When I carry my Glock 19 let's just say I have had a few moments of discomfort.

(Dauphin County)

I've considered one of these, but don't know how well it would handle my 24/7 PRO (I'm 5'10" about 160# - not exactly a big guy).

For my snubby it might work OK though.

Curious to see some other opinions in this thread before I consider the purchase.

-38Don'twantcertainpartsofmyanatomygettingdamagedFa n

(Monroe County)

I don't have a revolver... but I do have a smart carry! I have the medium sized one I think, its the one you get if you have a 1911 Officers/

My 1911 Officers carries decently in it, I definately wouldn't want to carry a full size pistol though. I don't wear tight pants but it does cause some discomfort depending on how I turn or if I sit wrong, mostly from the beavertail and hammer digging into me.

M&P 9c - Works well however that little extra thickness in the weapon definately translates into a little tightness in the pants where there was none with the 1911, no issues at all with jabbing though.

Kahr CW9 - Its like the holster and this gun were MADE for each other. Very comfortable carry, thin profile, nothing to jam you... it is a great combo.

For guys that wear nothing but jeans and dress like respectable people (jeans are the CORRECT size) you will most likely not use the smart carry for an often carry. The draw is extremly slow.

Where it shines is the lack of a need to wear a belt... so gym shorts, jogging pants... in my opinion thats where it cannot be beat, draw is comparable to an IWB for me. it just works very well.

So my suggestions - Don't get it as a primary holster, works great if you have lots of room in the waist and crotch of your pants with compact sized weapons and fills a great "niche" market for people who don't wear belts all the time.

**one final comment - I use the same SmartCarry for 3 different hand guns (3 mentioned) and it worked great for all 3. If you are going to buy one get what will work best for the largest pistol you are going to carry in it (be reasonable). You can use safety pins to make it work with other guns / mags
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by caddy527 View Post
    I got the smartcarry holster last week. When I first saw this thing I was like WTF, carry in your crotch, loaded weapon inches from your junk, business end pointed at the femoral artery?
    Well I gotta say this holster is great. I carry an XD45 and it is comfortable. I wore it to work (construction) sitting, standing, bending, squatting, driving, the works. Honestly I was surprised. I have to admit that without the gun I'm only packin a subbie LOL so that may enhance the comfort level but it's really functional. I don't carry +1 so I'm a little leery about carrying my Sp101 but maybe down the road.
    So far every time I've worn it I've had no discomfort. i guess time will tell but so far so good.
    BTW perfect with overalls that I wear alot.
    Your results are impressive. I am a strong advocate of the SmartCarry holster, but it took me nearly 3 weeks to create solutions for all the modes and transitions between them. One week! I'm jealous.
    Howard - I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!

(Centre County)

lol did everyone go to smartcarry.com ? Bandwidth exceeded... !!

I have a Smartcarry for my XD45c and I really like it. It takes getting used to and you MUST follow the instructions to insure your comfort. My only complaint would be when you're just wearing a t-shirt and jeans, the smart cary can migrate above your underwear line and irritate your skin a bit.

Also, I was hesitant about carrying one in the pipe, but I always keep my finger away from the trigger when drawing. Otherwise, there's no WAY you're going to have an negligent discharge while carrying one in the pipe.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by nhughesmd View Post
    I'm glad to hear that you like it. I have had one for about 2 years now and wear it on a semi-regular basis. The holster is holding up well for being cloth, and allows me that extra concealment I need on occasion.

I'm just curious, how do you carry a full sized gun in your smartcarry? When I carry my snub it works great. When I carry my Glock 19 let's just say I have had a few moments of discomfort.
    Like dredly said you need loose fitting pants to be really comfortable with a full sized gun. If the pants are little tight my grips tend to show but like the ad says people aren't usually looking at your crotch. My SP101 carrys really well but I've only tried it around the house unloaded. If I carry the SP I would only go with four rounds and I'd rather have 13 in the XD. Dredlys' post hit the nail on the head. Speaking of that how do you go about giving someone a rep?

But as long as the nation is obsessed with historic milestones, is no one going to remark on what a great country it is where a mentally retarded woman can become speaker of the house? - Ann Coulter

To help you visualize, check this out. My EDC.

I EDC an M&P 45fs with a Crimson Trace LaserGrips and an Insight XTI Procyon weapon light in the SmartCarry holster. In the companion slot is a 14-round extended capacity magazine. The last picture shows the use of a safety pin to stage the 10-round spare magazine I used to carry.

Howard - I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!

Quote Originally Posted by caddy527 View Post
    Like dredly said you need loose fitting pants to be really comfortable with a full sized gun. If the pants are little tight my grips tend to show but like the ad says people aren't usually looking at your crotch. My SP101 carrys really well but I've only tried it around the house unloaded. If I carry the SP I would only go with four rounds and I'd rather have 13 in the XD. Dredlys' post hit the nail on the head. Speaking of that how do you go about giving someone a rep?
    click the little scale in the upper right corner of one of their posts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast