Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P238 notes

(Tioga County)

Default Sig P238 notes

A friend purchased a P238 the other day and we took turns trying it out yesterday.

First impression: Wow, what a tiny gun! Think 3/4 scale 1911. In spite of the diminutive size, it fit well in my long, skinny hands. It fit all four of us well, wives included.

Finish and fit appear to be first-rate. All the controls move easily without any free play or lost motion. The trigger is very nice, having very little take-up before firing. Reminds me of a revolver firing SA. The safety could be a bit less stiff, but releasing it is a deliberate motion. There didn't feel to be any sharp edges or protrusions that would raise a blister after a box of ammo, unlike the Kel-Tec that left both of us bleeding. The slide racks easily, something to which my wife is sensitive.

The sights are a three-dot arrangement and glow at night quite brightly. The gun points very naturally, no tipping or twisting to align the sights.

The shootin' part: Everyone loved this gun. Recoil is quite managable. My friend's wife limp-wristed the first couple rounds and it cycled without fail. We all put our shots within 10" or so from 10 yards, which we figure to be pretty fair for just goofing around with a new gun. No FTF or FTE using 50 rounds of WWB.

The verdict: Unanimous; a keeper. For a carry gun that will disappear in your pocket, this is the ticket.

--Phil

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Sig P238 notes

thanks for the review. been looking at these for awhile but being a lefty i need that safety on the dark side as well. when i hear it can be done i,m gonna get one for sure.

(Delaware County)

I'll second the motion on the review. I have a P238, best out of the box .380 I've owned. Just functioned flawlessly from the first round. Has eaten any brand I've fed it. Shot 100 rounds of Critical Defense without a hiccup. Weight and size keep recoil more manageable than with the LCP and other such skinny pocket guns.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

(Lancaster County)

The p238 is a great gun. I got the one with the laser trigger guard and its crazy how accurate that litte bugger it is.

(Westmoreland County)

This little guy packs some serious accuracy! Im very impressed with mine...it has never givin me a problem of any sort...even when intentionally limpwristed just to see if it would malfunction. EPIC win on this one
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    thanks for the review. been looking at these for awhile but being a lefty i need that safety on the dark side as well. when i hear it can be done i,m gonna get one for sure.
    This guy is making an ambi safety (among other things) for the 238:

http://www.customizedcreationz.com/p...pdatepage.html

(Bucks County)

Do NOT USE BLAZER STEEL IN IT.

ONLY USE BRASS!!!!

I LOVE MINE.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a couple colt mustangs, govt 380's an they are all accurate and shoot MUCH better then any Kel tec that I have shot. Seeing as these are basically identical twins of the colts I would imagine you will be happy with them for some time!

(Westmoreland County)

Im realling hoping that the guy in the link above follows through and that I can get an aluminun MSH someday
    S&W M&P40c, Sig P238 SAS-.380, Ruger mkIII .22, Thinking about a new sig 938.....

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by wishIhada5.0 View Post
    Im realling hoping that the guy in the link above follows through and that I can get an aluminun MSH someday
    x2!! I got in contact with them and it seems to be a work in progress? I dont understand why they post pictures of the product on their website on the guns and when they arent ready to sell them yet? Its almost like what kimber did with the solo, advertised the final product before it was even ready for distribution...

Impatience aside, I cant wait to get rid of the plastic on these guns, even if its only replaced by aluminum. As much as I like my p238, I dont know why sig thought it was a good idea to make it with a plastic trigger, plastic grips, and a plastic main spring housing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast