Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Western pa OC without a hitch, and OC in ohio last friday

I was always a CC guy just easier that way. Friday the 29th the wife kids and I went to the flea market in Rogers, OH. As most of you probably already know Ohio does not have an agreement with Pa for CC. I have not gotten my Utah yet, hope to this year. So I pulled over at the state line to comply with what I understand to be Ohio's Law. I empty the mag's put the shells back in the brick to hang out with their fellow jhp's. I install a child safe cable lock through the slide, and put away in a case. Ammo stored separately in the glove box. As I understand the transport laws in Ohio to require.

So I Drive the rest of the way to the flea market, I drive around the multiple entrances and parking areas ensuring I'm shopping here. There is no posted criminal protection zone, so I park as the wife gets the kids ready and I set up my new OC rig. I walked around the flea market shopping etc.. had lunch walked by the Sherrif's golf cart nothing other than a few strange looks. I did have one vendor ask me some questions as I was browsing. If went like this:
    are you Leo?
    Nope
    Security?
    nope
    Is that a real gun?
    yep
    I'm just out here exercising my 2nd amendment rights!
    Ohio is a traditional Open Carry state.
    Oh?, i have no problem with that I was just asking.

So an uneventful day after all the horror stories I read i assumed Ohio was like philly.

Then yesterday I went to 7/11 to get a pepsi and a newspaper while OC of course. I was at the fountain filling up my double gulp when I noticed a Ellwood City cop behind me at the coffee bar. As I put the lid on my Double Gulp I turn and walk past him as he looks at me I offer a Hello.

That goes unanswered and I think great what is this going to turn into as I now hear him on the radio as I am standing in line to pay. I walk out to my vehicle and get my cell out and start video recording, as I lay out the background for my experience so far. Introduce myself and explain what has transpired the LEO has watched me walk out and get in my vehicle. At this point I am sitting here waiting for the worst and then without any clue it happens. The officer walks of the store gets in his cruiser and drives away!

Then again this morning I was walking out to get a Paper and the wife says hey I need laundry detergent. So that changes where I am going shopping. So I take my 6 y.o. son he wanted to go along. So we arrive at Ellwood City Giant Eagle. We walk in and go up to the front by the service desk and get 3 papers off the rack. (looking for a job, hence 3 papers) So I circle back to the Milk and Laundry detergent. Then I head towards to front of the store and it happens again. Nothing, no harassment or freaking out, no cop to be ignorant of the law.

Then I come home and my wife sends me over to the neighbors house with a bag of extra veggies from the garden. I am invited in for coffee as I sit with my neighbor a retired city cop and his wife, he asks? Whats that all about? I explain my IWB rig isn't comfortable inside the jeans I am wearing, and that I am allowed. So he says do you have your permit? I explained that I do not need one to open carry. He says thats a fine line at the discretion of the officer due to the holster only showing the hand grip. I offer up that's what all cops ignorant of the law say. He wasn't impressed with this at all, but we have always been able to speak the truth with one another. So I then hand him my Lctf and said If i get an Leo that is so confused(thinking its some how concealed) I can clear it up with that!

How inconceivable that one would think an open carry holster on my hip needs to be see thru or on a string around my neck as he claimed. Especially a LEO or retired!

I don't know what do you guys think?

Who wants to Schedule an OC walk or 100 in the area. I have ALWAYS been a firearms enthusiast and avid hunter. I am now also An AVID firearms ACTIVIST....

Hey guys thanks for listening/reading. Sorry I ramble on so much. By the way this is my very first of what is sure to be many posts.

KP

Default Re: Western pa OC without a hitch, and OC in ohio last friday

Good job. I live down in the Robinson area, haven't had any issues around here. You should print out some of the PA gun law flyers to hand out to ignorant people.

Also, under the Pittsburgh section, we are having a western PA BBQ on August 13th, you are more than welcome!

http://forum.pafoa.org/pittsburgh-re...bbq-check.html
    Last edited by Justin///M; July 31st, 2011 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kellerpaulsdad View Post
    I did have one vendor ask me some questions as I was browsing. If went like this:
    are you Leo?
    Nope
    Security?
    nope
    Is that a real gun?
    yep
    This question always boggles my mind......"Nope, I'm carrying an air soft."

(Beaver County)

Talking Re: Western pa OC without a hitch, and OC in ohio last friday

THe flyers idea is a good one, wish I could have wallet cards instead. I will def. try to make it to the Bbq on the 13th.

And then the air soft comment makes me want to say nah its just a co2 pistol in case i'm attacked by rabid squirrels !

(Northampton County)

This was not an easy read.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    This was not an easy read.
    I apologize, as writing is not my strong point.

(Beaver County)

Welcome to the forum,glad your experiences were more or less positive.Curious what is your carry choice?
    Last edited by GrumpyBear; July 31st, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Welcome to the forum,glad your experiences were more or less positive.Curious what is your carry choice?
    I believe that both CC and OC have their place and I will continue to exercise both and if your are asking about Weapon? sigma 9mm
    Last edited by kellerpaulsdad; July 31st, 2011 at 02:22 PM.

(Indiana County)

My Hi-Point is a bit bulky (and ugly, and heavy), so hiding it in my crotch is inconvenient. Thus, I open carry most everywhere.

I carried concealed at the movie theater (discretion being the better part of valor), but shopping at the new Giant Eagle in Indiana with my wife was open carry. Today it was a stop by the office to get tomorrow's work schedule, Sheetz for gas and a cup of coffee, and the Northern Cambria Giant Eagle for some odds and ends. Open carry, thank you.

No muss, no fuss, and the ATVer filling up his ATV at the gas pump next to me didn't wet his pants, either (this isn't the city - he drove his ATV to and from the gas station).

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    My Hi-Point is a bit bulky (and ugly, and heavy), so hiding it in my crotch is inconvenient.
    how well do u like the high point I was going to buy 2 what a price, right? Anyhow I had a friend with me to talk me out of it. Looks to cheap and the action of the slide was rough. So I bought a sigma 9mm and I absolutely hate it......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast