Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sig Sauer help-purchase

I have been wanting a Sig P226 9mm for about 4 years now and decided I'm getting one. I recently found a p229 9mm for a good price but the grip doesn't feel the same as the P226, it feels bigger. Am I imagining this? Are there different grip sizes for Sig pistols? I also want the short reach trigger and possibly the DAK system but that can be converted later. I'm a Glock fan and am not too familiar with Sig other than shooting a few of them in .40, but I want to add a Sig. I have wanted the P226 but the deal I found on the P229 I don't know if I can pass it up.

Default Re: Sig Sauer help-purchase

It's not your imagination. The 229 has a more compact grip & shorter barrel than the 226. I have a 229 & like it, but it's a completely different animal than the 226. If the price of the 229 is too good to pass up, get it; then start saving all over again for the 226.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Montgomery County)

There is no point in purchasing a gun that you know will not feel comfortable in your hands - no matter how great the deal is. Sounds like this will be a great safe queen if you do buy it.

(Wyoming County)

Jump on that 229...then if you don't like it...sell it to me...I only have four

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    It's not your imagination. The 229 has a more compact grip & shorter barrel than the 226. I have a 229 & like it, but it's a completely different animal than the 226. If the price of the 229 is too good to pass up, get it; then start saving all over again for the 226.
    I figured I wasn't dreaming but the 226 grip feels better in my hand. The 229 feels bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    There is no point in purchasing a gun that you know will not feel comfortable in your hands - no matter how great the deal is. Sounds like this will be a great safe queen if you do buy it.
    This was my thought too, but I don't have safe queens they all get plenty of time firing, the deal is a good one.

(Wyoming County)

[QUOTE=*Klutch*;1674972]I figured I wasn't dreaming but the 226 grip feels better in my hand. The 229 feels bigger.

That is such an open door for a lewd comment but I'll refrain...Have a great day!

The way a Sig feels in your hand is largely attributable to the grips with which it is equipped. The beauty of Sigs is their popularity, meaning that you have many options in the pursuit of making it feel "just right".

You have a variety of grips available from both the manufacturer and the aftermarket. Everything from Sig's E2 grips to Hogue G-10's and everything in between.

If it is truly "too good to pass up" then don't, and buy it with the assurance that you will be able to make it work for you.

Two side notes - not sure that the short trigger can be used with the DAK system (but I may be wrong about that). And, make sure that you understand the DAK system before you convert. It is nothing like a Glock. I explained the system here, in post #13 in this thread...

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/443...ak-page-2.html

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    The way a Sig feels in your hand is largely attributable to the grips with which it is equipped. The beauty of Sigs is their popularity, meaning that you have many options in the pursuit of making it feel "just right".

You have a variety of grips available from both the manufacturer and the aftermarket. Everything from Sig's E2 grips to Hogue G-10's and everything in between.

If it is truly "too good to pass up" then don't, and buy it with the assurance that you will be able to make it work for you.

Two side notes - not sure that the short trigger can be used with the DAK system (but I may be wrong about that). And, make sure that you understand the DAK system before you convert. It is nothing like a Glock. I explained the system here, in post #13 in this thread...

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/443...ak-page-2.html

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    Bob, thanks for the answer I was seeking. I have had the DAK in a P239, I liked it for the consistency, but at this stage of it all it's only an interest; we'll see as time progresses and how the P229 gets used, I doubt that I'll carry it so it may just be a fun gun so the DA/SA may be the way of the storm for me. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I figured I wasn't dreaming but the 226 grip feels better in my hand. The 229 feels bigger.

This was my thought too, but I don't have safe queens they all get plenty of time firing, the deal is a good one.
    If you get the 229, I doubt it will end up as a safe queen. They're pretty nice guns. I have one in .40, but my P220 feels better, (to me), because of the more narrow, full size grips.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Northampton County)

Any chance the 226 you've been handling is an E2 and the 229 is not?

I used to hate the Sig series pistols (except the GRS / 1911) because they were uncomfortable to me. When I picked up an E2, my mind completely changed. I bought 3 226's -one in 9, one in .40, and one in .357Sig. I'm considering a 229E2 in .357Sig one of these days.

As far as I know, some 226/9s can have the grips replaced with E2 grips - but you'll need to do the research on that one if you want to get the 229 and swap the grips.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast