Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll

6 21.43%

14 50.00%

8 28.57%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: The Best +P+ 9mm JHP for barrier penetration

Looks like 124 grain is going to win the poll and fitting being as how it was the grain weight that George Luger designed the 9mm to be.

(Philadelphia County)

I just bought a few hundred rounds of the all copper round, that will be my barrier buster. Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

(Lancaster County)

From the tests that I have seen on either the military or history channel showed that hollow points were much more effective shooting at overcoming the deflection issue than full metal jacketed bullets were.

The test was done very well actually they simulated it by firing a number of rounds through a handgun and an AR to find what worked best at stopping a car by hitting the person inside.

Their conclusion resulted with hollow points being much more effective because they did not deflect nearly as much as the FMJs. They attributed this to the HPs design allowing it "bite" into the glass instead of deflect like the FMJ.

They came to this conclusion by shooting at a human sized taget seated within the vehicle, and then recording the number of hits and the angle the bullet traveled upon passing through the glass.

I wish I remember what channel and show it was, but it definitely stuck with me. Especially after talking with a guy who just came back from Iraq and told me how hard it was to stop those drugged up hajjis in their car bombs.

Truncated cone aka Flat nose jacketed bullets would work much better than round nose jacketed bullets in that regard.

I think the hot flat nose jacketed bullets would probably be the top penetrating rounds in glass (or any medium) in 9mm, while still creating a respectable wound profile.

Buffalo Bore, Fiocchi, and Doubletap all make a very hot jacketed flat nose in the +P range. Fiocchi's are by far the cheapest of the bunch, while still giving comparable performance. (124gr flat nose at 1250fps).

For trail defense, the hot jacketed flat nose bullets are by far the best option. I use doubletap 147gr+P total metal jacketed flat nose rounds for that purpose.
    Last edited by Valorius; August 5th, 2011 at 01:52 PM.

The ability of a round to punch through auto glass and still reliably expand inside the driver's body is one of the testing criteria for LE duty ammunition now. Take a good look at these department tests http://le.atk.com/general/irl/woundballistics.aspx In almost all of them, the Federal HSTs and the Speer LE gold dots perform really well in this area.
    The poll was a little disappointing insofar as it did not include 147 gr. slugs. Most of the best barrier penetration rounds in 9mm are 147 gr. loads. Three that are real stand outs in this are are the 147 gr. +P Federal HST, the 147 gr. Winchester PDX1 and the 147 gr. LE gold dot. They have not recorded any problems with core jacket separation so far and still expand reliably in the bad guy.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Philadelphia County)

Great posts everyone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123