Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
I get all that. Personally, I never mix alcohol with guns or with driving. Not even one drink. That's my personal choice.

However, if Jason Voorhees breaks into my house with a butcher knife and comes after me, I am going for the nearest gun regardless if I have been drinking or not. In that particular situation, it's the best choice in a bad situation. (I realize that this is a home defense scenario rather than making the choice to go out and drink and carry, but we are still talking about using firearms while drinking).

I just think that we need to be careful with dealing in absolutes when it comes to this issue. It is certainly undesirable to be counting on your firearm for self-defense if you are intoxicated, but is it better to be left without any means to defend yourself at all?

Going out to bars and drinking to the point of excess always carries some risks, armed or not.

Some people have greater tolerance for alcohol than others. Many people are able to drink and not feel the need to pull their gun out in the bar and wave it around. If one feels that the right self-defense is an inherent one and part of natural law, then we should be careful in restricting that right regardless of what a BAC test shows.
i have to agree. I carry everywhere i go. Even if it is in a bar. I have a couple beers, and i go home. I have never been so drunk i considered pulling out my gun and waving it around, or shooting a toilet. Just because some dumbass cant handle his beer doesnt mean everyone is like that. im not going down to the south side of pittsburgh without being armed. i think if you cant handle yourself owning a fire arm and drinking you should either A. not drink or B. not own a fire arm. i wouldnt carry in a bar if i knew no one else would be carrying. but i know there is at least a chance someone else is.