Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default To HOWA or not to HOWA?

OK,

I am thinking about purchasing a NEW 2002 HOWA 1500.

I am strictly using this as a hunting rifle. I want to be able to hunt anything in North america with this out to about about 300 - 400.

Could any one tell me about the accuracy of this rifle?

I was also thinking or Browning, Thompson Venture.

Right now though I would like to know the characteristics of the HOWA?

Will it shoot MOA from the box?

The other two rifles are MOA from the box by the manufacturer.

I want something like my Rem. 700 and it is a tac driver.

Let me know about the HOWA. If there is anything else I need to know about the model year let me know as well.

(Bucks County)

Wink Re: To HOWA or not to HOWA?

Pizza Bob writes a good review at the link below.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/641...view-long.html

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    OK,

I am thinking about purchasing a NEW 2002 HOWA 1500.

I am strictly using this as a hunting rifle. I want to be able to hunt anything in North america with this out to about about 300 - 400.

Could any one tell me about the accuracy of this rifle?

I was also thinking or Browning, Thompson Venture.

Right now though I would like to know the characteristics of the HOWA?

Will it shoot MOA from the box?

The other two rifles are MOA from the box by the manufacturer.

I want something like my Rem. 700 and it is a tac driver.

Let me know about the HOWA. If there is anything else I need to know about the model year let me know as well.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: To HOWA or not to HOWA?

I did read that and was wondering if there was a change in the manufacturing of the HOWA from 2002 to present.

I am usually a Remington guy and would not hesitate in purchasing a Remington, however people I know who have recently purchased a Remington have stated their quality has decreased. So now I am left with finding another rifle company to trust.

I did read that and was wondering if there was a change in the manufacturing of the HOWA from 2002 to present.

I am usually a Remington guy and would not hesitate in purchasing a Remington, however people I know who have recently purchased a Remington have stated their quality has decreased. So now I am left with finding another rifle company to trust.
    As far as I know, there haven't been any/many changes to the Howa manufacturing process. They had to make some overhauls in the past, but they seem to have gotten it ironed out.

I shoot and love Remington's, and have a custom rifle built on one. I can honestly say that I'm not brand loyal, and will shoot, own, and love ANY brand that will shoot consistently and be reliable. I have extensive experience with Remington rifles, which many people would use my stick in gunsmithing about accurizing rifles as an example. I can honestly tell you that in the past decade and half, or even two, Remington has had about the same quality control. Most of the people you hear complaining about quality control are just echoing complaints of the past. The fact of the matter is that Remington rifles aren't quite what they used to be, particularly from the 70's, and even into the 80's. The 90's rifles aren't bad, but they just aren't the quality of the "old days". What's interesting and funny is that you hear people complaining particularly about modern rifles even though their quality isn't all that different from what it's been in the 90's (maybe even a bit better). You'd just be amazed at what people parrot from what they've read, and try to push off as "modern" news.

Depending on when you bought your rifle, there's a fair chance that it's of the same stock that your friends are saying "quality has decreased". If it was made in the 90's or later, it's probably identical to what they're complaining about. The saying holds true, "they don't make them like they used to." Honestly, a Remington rifle out of the box, with good ammunition and glass will probably be as accurate as any other. Back in the day, they were a bit a "cut above the rest". Nowadays, Savages are typically a cut above the rest for the price, but even they are getting to be much more than they used to be. The prices of Savages are getting to where they're not the "bargain rifle" that they used to do. That doesn't mean that they're not accurate (still out of the box one of the most accurate), they just aren't had for as cheaply as they used to be.

I honestly don't see why you can't trust Remington, especially if you've trusted them in the past and have a rifle that shoots well. I kind of have my doubts about the "doubling" that the poster reported. I men at 200 yards, that's less than .150 difference in both of those rounds for the holes to be that shape. A much more plausable explanation is that it's a 3 shot group with the target on a bit of an angle at 200 yards, so that the holes are not quite "round". Even if it's a 5 shot group, with the flyer, it's not exceptional accuracy for a $1,450 setup. If it's only 3 rounds with that accuracy, it's definitely not exceptional and several Remington rifles will shoot just as well or better. I'm not trying to deter you from a Howa, I'm just saying that if you like your Remington rifles, don't always believe what you've heard about them either. A Howa should should shoot 1 MOA 3 round groups or better with quality ammunition, but so will lots of other rifles.

(Bucks County)

What prompted me not to go with Remington is a friend of mine who is a competitive shooter or was a competitive shooter purchased a 700. The rifling in the barrel was not right.

He sent it to Remington with the information specifically about what was wrong.

They sent it back to him like nothing was wrong. So he uses howa actions and customized barrels and has action work done as well. While he is a bench rest shooter, the issue he has found with multiple Remington rifles lately within the last 2 years has caused him to look else where.

I just spoke with a friend of mine who has me leaning to the HOWA again, but asked me to feel the aluminum blocked Savage with the accurized trigger and accur bedded stock.

So now I am back to the HOWA and Savage. I will check out the savage and weigh it against the Howa. I am trying to stay below 1000 or I would just go with the browning X bolt.

The HOWA is in the mid to high 400's and the Savage I don't know yet.

(Washington County)

I have a .223 Weatherby Vanguard HB-ST, basically a Howa 1500 Varminter

I use relativly cheap Fiocchi 40gr V-Max and get about 1" to 1 1/2" 5 shot groups off a bipod at 100 yards.

inexpensive 55gr FMJ do about 2" groups

I should say im a new shooter and im sure the gun can do better than I can. Especially with good ammo

(Monroe County)

Do a web search for Les Johnson or better yet watch his shows on the Versus Channel , he uses a Howa 1500 Axiom , and he takes Coyotes way out to 450 yards sometimes.

They are excellent guns.

If you have not considered a SAKO rifle , look into those too.

(Bucks County)

Well, I made my decision. I am going with the savage 116.

Aluminum bedded, great safety, box mag, accu trigger, real nice gun for the money.

(Delaware County)

Well, I made my decision. I am going with the savage 116.

Aluminum bedded, great safety, box mag, accu trigger, real nice gun for the money.
    In what caliber?

Howa's are good rifles, but if you want to upgrade them down the line, it will cost you more since Howa's use metric threads and many smiths do not work with metric.

The Savage option is a good one since you can do the work yourself if/when you want to upgrade down the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast