Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Home defense

(Luzerne County)

Default Home defense

Lets get this one going!

We all know the shotgun is "the" weapon for home defense. Do you think it is practical for the Mrs. to use?
    My wife might actually be a better shot at clays than me! And that is with a 12. That is what I started her on and she is pretty good!
    I am in the process of selecting a weapon for the Mrs. to use at home for self defense. It will ultimately be her choice.
    So, if we went the shotgun route, what kind of load? ... And which choke?

I think a "F" shot with a cylinder or IMP choke.
    I don't have a catchy phrase to put here!

(Chester County)

Home defense is related to shotguns. I like a handgun. Home defense is really close quarters battle. Plus you have 1 hand free to call for help as well as holding off an attacker. 12 ga is rough for a woman. If you want a shotgun for your wife 20 ga would be fine. proper training for home defense is get the family to a safe spot in the house close and lock the door and call for police. Now in the real world that is not always the case. I do agree with it and it is my first plan. As a secondary plan I would rather have small and powerful then big powerful and cumbersome. YMMV

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lougotzz
    I would rather have small and powerful then big powerful and cumbersome. YMMV
    +1 I prefer a handgun with some bang, and a tactical light. It's much easier to handle and move around with, also the light allows you to be sure of what you're aiming at. While it is true, that hearing a shotgun being chambered will have a very distinct sound(and ultimately instill certain awareness in the bg), I don't think it's the most practical method of home defense. IMHO.
    Mike(starblazer)
    USAF vet. NRA life member. GOA life member.

(Delaware County)

I use a Sig 245.

(Chester County)

I use a model 19 357 magnum. I have 3 speed loaders ready. Remember guys. CCW and home defense guns should not be your safe queens. In the event of a shooting the police will take your gun for ballistics. You might not get it back in the same condition you gave it to them. another point is to always have 2 of the CCW or home defense guns. You dont want to have to get use to another weapon if they take your gun for ballistics. As I always say on threads like this. LETS HOPE AND PRAY WE NEVER HAVE TO USE OUR FIREARMS FOR DEFENSE OF OUR LIVES!!!

(Carbon County)

I do personally prefer the shotgun for Home Defense. Naturally as many brought up, in a struggle at close quarters its not ideal. Both handguns and shotguns have their advantages. However, some considerations can make a shotgun a more effective/shorter platform.

We have a Mossberg 500 with pistol grip and folding stock with the streamlight tactical light thats integrated with the forend. Its not "impossible" for a lady with practice/conditioning to fire any less effectively than any man. Since your wife is experienced with 12Guage she may be an ideal candidate In manmy ways if waking up groggy the shotgun is more intuitive....find it easier in dark. Even in just pistol grip configuration we found that she can orient and remain accurately on target easier than her SP101. Of course, if carrying or pulling a young child to a safe place the handgun would be easier for reacting to an intruder.

Our round of preference is Hornaday Tap 12ga Buckshot that she can handle OK BTW, the red box is labeled semi-auto only...the black boxed works in pumps.
    if you ever see my post edited...its most likely for speling :D
    "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"-In Time of War the Law Falls Silent-Cicero
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"-If you want peace, prepare for war-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"America Starts Here!"-former PA state Slogan...until NJ complained and our wussy GovRendell changed it!

(Cambria County)

I keep the .40 pistol and my 12 guage close every night and grab whichever one I figure will be best suited to the situation at a moments notice. If I believe the person is already in the house, the shotgun is first. If the sound is coming from outside, I grab the pistol and check it out.
    John E. MacEwan - President
    International Hunting Land Association Inc.
    http://www.hunt4land.org
    president@hunt4land.org

V.P. Eastern Sales and Marketing
    Save Outdoor Sports
    SaveOutDoorSports.com
    Son theres nobody shooting back at you out there, now I found out early on that a lot of men regardless of cause or need aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger, I won't.
    - John Wayne

(Berks County)

i sleep with my steyr 9mm and my remington 870 12 ga next to me...if at all possible i would get up, put my pistol on my belt, and grab the shotty. i think it would be stupid to leave my best weapon behind just cuz its a little bigger, thats what a shotgun is for, your first choice, then if a jam or out of ammo you grab the pistol. you never know if the bg in your house brought his own sg. just my 2 cents

I would say it depends on the situation. I believe both the pistol and shotgun would both be fine HD weapons. That being said, I would reach for my 870 before my HK UPS45c...the reason for that is because If I am woken up in the middle of the night, I won't be fully awake, so I want a firearm that would give me a better chance of hitting my target. Another reason I would reach for the 870 is because once I pump the 870, the intruder will know that I am armed and he/she might decide to flee the scene. For HD I feel that the shotgun is the best tool for the job. No offense to those that feel the pistol their weapon of choice.

I agree with Aubie, I personally keep a shotgun and new pistol around, but if I had someone breaking into my house at night, I'd definately reach for the shotgun. I think that aubie is correct in saying that you have a high probability of hitting your target with a shotgun. Many people can't hit a moving assailant in daylight and under stress with a pistol; waking up in a not to well lit room etc, I think most people would just make some noise and risk hitting children, etc who are in the next room. If you're even a decent shot with a shotgun I'd go with a full choke for home protection, and shoot something close to buck shot. I think if you were to use slugs or something like that, you might as well be using a pistol. Just always consider penetration of shot, situation that you might be waking up to, and if you have to get the children or others to safety. Hope that helps

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast