Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Home defense

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy
    Never the less, I know for a fact a slug from a 12G will push a brick out of joint on older buildings, a .357 or 45 will do considerable damage as well.
    I won't ask how you know this!

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9
    I won't ask how you know this!
    When I lived in Quebec, I was a member in a club where the range was in the basement of an old school. The friars are the time had a .22 shooting course there for the kids, and it was since closed so the club knowing this started to rent the area and we dug out the area that was not yet finished to make more shooting lanes. There was an old red brick wall there that was not supporting any thing ( may at one time been a cold storage) and needed removed. Grant you this was an old wall, it was red and not yellow brick, and when shot at, we found that the bricks would explode although the projectile would not "continue" we cant say we never found one past the brick wall to prove this, the bricks took quite a beating.

On old buildings many times you will find stress cracks, these are some times re-pointed. Although estetically this makes the brick and mortar look great, there has no strenght to hold the brick in to a good hit as it is only a surface fix. Many "brick" walls are not supporting walls, meaning they are free floating with nothing behind them to keep them in place. A supporting wall mind you has to pressure from above to hold it in place.

I'm pretty sure if you look around most ranges, you will see things that can and cant hold back a bullet.. It seems to be the nature of man to experiment with materials to see what their gun can and cant do. You will undoubtedly see some Brick remnents that some one shoot at one time...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Westmoreland County)

Ya don't take long before the recoil makes you feel like being kicked buy a horse.shot a box of 3 inch mags out of mine once my shoulder was black and blue fore a wile.now if I play around with it i were a past shoulder pad.

(Potter County)

Quote Originally Posted by bric2000
    Lets get this one going!

We all know the shotgun is "the" weapon for home defense. Do you think it is practical for the Mrs. to use?
    My wife might actually be a better shot at clays than me! And that is with a 12. That is what I started her on and she is pretty good!
    I am in the process of selecting a weapon for the Mrs. to use at home for self defense. It will ultimately be her choice.
    So, if we went the shotgun route, what kind of load? ... And which choke?

I think a "F" shot with a cylinder or IMP choke.
    For a home shotgun you both can use, a pump 20 cyl bore with 3" #2 buck is a good choice. I have this setup, and out to 20 yds the pattern is fairly dense with all pellets striking COM. Penetration is good as well. Felt recoil is less than a 12, with a little less flash. My wife shoots it well. Top it off with a laser or flashlight and you should be G2G.

(Pike County)

Default Re: Home defense

Now that everyone has considered home defense in the context of two-legged intruders, let's talk about home defense in more likely scenarios for many of us in PA: Bears. And possibly other predators, perhaps rabid.

How does that change/add to/modify your choice of what weapon(s) you regard for home defense?

I thought I had it all figured out... until a bear appeared near my front porch not long ago.

I pretty quickly changed the load in the shotty from #4 buck and a slug to all 00 and slugs. And the handgun? Fugedaboutit.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by popnokick View Post
    Now that everyone has considered home defense in the context of two-legged intruders, let's talk about home defense in more likely scenarios for many of us in PA: Bears. And possibly other predators, perhaps rabid.
    Given that, I would keep your SG "cruiser ready," i.e., 00 shot in the tube, chamber empty. And have a slug nearby. Criminals = rack action. Bear = hand-feed the slug into the chamber, with the 00 buckshot as backup.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by popnokick View Post
    And the handgun? Fugedaboutit.
    Buy yourself a .454 Casull. That'll put a bear down, plus if an intruder comes face to face with that big boy.. they'll probably soil themselves. haha.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProd...=5508&return=Y

Ruger makes a nice one. :-D
    Last edited by Buckmark.35; October 31st, 2006 at 10:35 AM.

(Lebanon County)

Think on this and see if you agree or not. How about a .410 with a hot load of bird shot or small game load. This will do damage and not deafen you. I couldn't imagine firing a 12ga indoors. Bird shot probably won't penetrate walls, and if it did, it wouldn't go far. Saiga makes a semi-auto .410 that would work. Something like that with a pistol grip and detachable mag, what do you think? Not for bears, for 2 legged trouble.

I personally wouldn't use a 410...I want to make sure I put down the person entering my place...I want the most power I can get from my shotgun, so it's a 12ga all the way. I have a 20ga as well, but I'm reaching for my 870.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I agree with Aubie, I personally keep a shotgun and new pistol around, but if I had someone breaking into my house at night, I'd definately reach for the shotgun.
    IMO, room and hallway layout should factor in. It's really hard to keep retention on a long gun in a cramped house.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast