Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default S&W 908 9mm barrel issue?

I recently purchased this gun used. After closer inspection of the barrel, it is clear that on the rifling grooves (the raised ones), there are imperfections, it looks like 4 or 5 lines that run perpendicular to the rifling. They're on two different raised grooves. They aren't very deep, but deep enough that I can definitely see them when I shine light through the barrel. I tried and tried to take a picture of it, but I can't get a clear picture of the inside of the barrel.

Is there any possibility that this is 'normal' for a gun and not affecting my accuracy? I've seen many gunbarrels while cleaning and I've never seen an imperfection like this. Will S&W send me a new barrel if I send it in? Will I have to buy a new barrel? If I do buy a new barrel, will I have to have a gunsmith install it? How would this even happen, is it from manufacturing, or did the previous owner somehow do this?

Thanks for the answers.

Default Re: S&W 908 9mm barrel issue?

Any 908 barrel will fit, so you wont need any gunsmithing to change the barrel. I would contact smith and wesson directly and ask these same questions. Send them photos too, if at all possible.