Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default First handgun help

I am real beginner looking to purchase a 9mm for home protection and to shoot at the range, I am not ready for carrying at this point. I have been reading and searching for a while. I narrowed the search to a few and then went a handled several at a local shop. I was pretty set on the G19, but it felt too large in my hands (grip thickness). I liked how the Sig P250 felt (and looked) but the more I read, the less I feel good about that gun. The SP2022 felt good also. I like around a 4" barrell and a larger capacity also. The more I read, the more confused I get it seems. One thread Sig is great, the next it is not and so on. Any ideas on other guns that would suit what I am looking for?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: First handgun help

Everybody has an opinion,some may have had a bad experience with one particular brand & will then say that brand is no good. You need to research the handguns in your price range & try to find reviews on them. Personally I like to stick with brands made in the USA by USA companies, but that's just my preference. that said, 2 of my favorite brands are Smith & Wesson & also Ruger. S&W cost a little more than the Ruger but if you can get to shoot what you're looking at that helps a lot. I have a S&W M&P full size in .40 cal. & I like it very much,shoots well & it feels really good in my hand,I like it enough that I will soon be purchasing a S&W M&P compact in 9 mm for concealed carry if my local gun shop ever gets one in,if not then the Ruger
    SR9C is my 2nd choice. You might want to check out these 2 gems. Good luck,I know it's confusing
    Jesus is Lord !

(Centre County)

Go to a gun shop that carries a larger selection and handle different ones. See if there is something that fits good and you like the feel of. Most of the major manufactures guns are good quality. People look for different things in a gun, what I look for might not be what someone looks for. I happen to like Rugers, but I have a S&W 5906 that I will not get rid of because it fits me so well and is very accurate. I just got a Ruger SR9c because I liked how it felt and it is easy to conceal. The SR9 full size would be one to look at. Taurus makes a full line of 9mm's, anywhere from a Beretta lookalike to small easily concealed. The CZ line of 9mm's is also one to consider. CZ makes a quality gun and IIRC, is the brand most used in Europe for the police forces.

I don't read many reviews in magazines because I don't always trust them (they all seem to be the cats meow, but the people sending in the gun for review are also advertisers in the magazine so that may bias the reviewer-don't bite the hand that pays advertising fees). I would go to the forum that is for the gun you are thinking about, all the brands have a forum that is specifically for that brand. Read what the owners say, they won't mince words, if it's a piece of crap they will tell you.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lawrence County)

Revolvers are a good start... Just so happen to have a stainless steel .357 for sale for $400 bucks, 6" barrel helps with the recoil A LOT! Can't go wrong with a big Ruger GP110!!! lol

Other than that little plug, get what fits in your hand and feels the best, the rest will fall into place on it's own...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Wyoming County)

Don't discount Sig...they are a reliable piece...BUT...I agree with everyone else...do touchy/feely with a whole slew of pistols and see which one feels good...that is an important part of the selection process. Hell I have more guns than Gander Mountain but I have a S&W tsw that fits like a glove which makes it a good shooter in my hands.

(Susquehanna County)

First off, some questions you should answer for yourself.

1. What type of home do I live in? Makes a difference rural v. suburban v. city or apartment brings other issues into the decision.

2. Do I have the time, will, money and other resources to train and practice regularly with a handgun?

3. Are there others in the home who might need training? Must the handgun be safe-guarded from the prying eyes and touchy fingers of inquisitive children?

If you're negative on any of these a handgun is probably not right for you. Get a big Rottweiller and a cellphone instead.

If you are positive on these and really want a handgun. Find a range that does rentals so you can shoot (not just hold) several different models of handgun and make your choice based on the one that fits you best and that you have the potential of shooting the most accurately. Then once you've made your choice, get the best training you can afford.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(York County)

I think a trip to Freedom Armory in Shrewsbury (Southern York Co.) might be a good idea. You can rent guns and get a chance to test fire them before you make a decision. Buying a gun just based on holding it in a gun shop is akin to buying a car after just sitting in it in the show room, you want to take it out on the road and test drive it first. I don't know of any ranges in the Harrisburg area that offer gun rentals but if someone else knows of one, please speak up. I'm a huge fan of CZ pistols, but they're not the best fit for everyone. I also dislike plastic pistols, but that's also just personal preference, there's nothing wrong with Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs, they're just not my cup of tea.

I used to work at a sporting goods store and my personal opinions on the pistols you mentioned... SiG is a great company with an outstanding line of pistols, they're quality is hard to beat, but you pay a price for that quality. The SP2022 seems like a steal of a deal at it's sub $500 selling price, the P250 on the other hand seems to be a heck of a good concept with a less than stellar execution. I don't know if you held a 4th Gen G19 but the now have interchangeable back straps so a smaller back strap might make the gun fit better. If I had to choose a polymer framed pistol, my personal choice would be the XD9 compact or subcompact, grip extensions allow full size magazines to be used while maintaining the option of using the compact mag for concealed carry (should you choose to go down that road at sometime). I also would 2nd the recommendation that you check out the S&W M&P9 or M&P9c. I would however pass on the S&W Sigma Series as I have seen too may people have problems with them, and they have little re-sale value. Taurus pistols are fairly inexpensive (as pistols go) quality seems decent but they too have little re-sale value and many people have reported issues with their warranty claims department.

If you would like a chance to test fire a two different CZ-75s (one full size steel frame and one alloy framed P-01) or a Browning High Power, PM me and I'd be happy to meet you at West Shore Sportsmen in Lewisberry sometime.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mp517prct View Post
    I think a trip to Freedom Armory in Shrewsbury (Southern York Co.) might be a good idea. You can rent guns and get a chance to test fire them before you make a decision. Buying a gun just based on holding it in a gun shop is akin to buying a car after just sitting in it in the show room, you want to take it out on the road and test drive it first. I don't know of any ranges in the Harrisburg area that offer gun rentals but if someone else knows of one, please speak up. I'm a huge fan of CZ pistols, but they're not the best fit for everyone. I also dislike plastic pistols, but that's also just personal preference, there's nothing wrong with Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs, they're just not my cup of tea.

I used to work at a sporting goods store and my personal opinions on the pistols you mentioned... SiG is a great company with an outstanding line of pistols, they're quality is hard to beat, but you pay a price for that quality. The SP2022 seems like a steal of a deal at it's sub $500 selling price, the P250 on the other hand seems to be a heck of a good concept with a less than stellar execution. I don't know if you held a 4th Gen G19 but the now have interchangeable back straps so a smaller back strap might make the gun fit better. If I had to choose a polymer framed pistol, my personal choice would be the XD9 compact or subcompact, grip extensions allow full size magazines to be used while maintaining the option of using the compact mag for concealed carry (should you choose to go down that road at sometime). I also would 2nd the recommendation that you check out the S&W M&P9 or M&P9c. I would however pass on the S&W Sigma Series as I have seen too may people have problems with them, and they have little re-sale value. Taurus pistols are fairly inexpensive (as pistols go) quality seems decent but they too have little re-sale value and many people have reported issues with their warranty claims department.

If you would like a chance to test fire a two different CZ-75s (one full size steel frame and one alloy framed P-01) or a Browning High Power, PM me and I'd be happy to meet you at West Shore Sportsmen in Lewisberry sometime.

Agree with this /\/\/\/\
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

Expanding on what MP517 wrote, the back strap is part of the pistol. Its the part that touches and contacts your palm. It fits and craddles into your palm. I repeat, the pistol grip is a whole part and the back part that touchs and is held in your palm is called the backstrap. On several newer guns, they match interchangeable backstraps so folks with either smaller or larger hands can switch out the backstrap and get a grip and ultimately, a better feel for the gun, which directly relates to a happier gun owner and shooter.

Sig has had this concept for at least ten years, Glock and some others are just now coming on board.

A pistol is like a woman. You may meet, feel, touch, and even try out a bunch, but there is only one thats gotta fit you and be your all time most favorite. I carry revolvers, 1911's, and glocks. I've owned a few XD's and they were great but I just like my Glocks. Had a sig but was already a sworn Glock guy. My wife carries a Glock 26 and Ruger LCP but loves to shoot my 1911's. I forsee her getting one in the not to far distant future.
    If I was still living in the Harrisburg area, I'd offer to take ya out shooting. Well, unless you want to come on down to El Paso Texas, got a 21 lane gun range I shoot at regularily...LOL

Best of luck,

CL

(Washington County)

I was basically in the same postion as you a few months ago.
    9mm is what I went with and im glad I did. 9mm is the cheapest centerfire ammo, and you get more rounds in the mag, and it can put someone down easily if needed.

I considered:
    S&W M&P9
    Springfield XD9
    Sig SP2022

I went with the M&P9 and I love it
    3 backstraps so you can get the fit you want. lower bore axis compared to the XD. and a 4.25" barrel

Id say get the XD if you really want the color options.
    If your good with back, I like the M&P better.

I decided against the sig due to the 3.9" barrel and reading that it really doesnt live up to the Sig name, and for the price im not surprised.
    Last edited by Saddlerocker; July 27th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast