Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default what would prices be on AW's if there is a new AWB

Right now, one can buy a WASR AK-47 for $300, forget the website (its long and has a puke green background). And mags at shows are going for about 10-15 dollars for the same gun. So assuming a new AWB comes to pass, what kind of price would ak's be fetching after. And would this ban also mean that imports would be stopped?

I'd love to hear from people who were alive before, during, and after the last ban. Im wondering about all of this for the sake of investment.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: what would prices be on AW's if there is a new AWB

I have heard that as far as investments, you can do MUCH better than rolling the dice with firearms. If you are swimming in money, then by all means, go for it. But if this is a serious investment you are thinking about, then I'd look somewhere else.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

Most imports are already stopped. There is already a barrel ban in place, this is why parts kits are drying up (and once it does, they will be gone for good), and certain built rifles like the "newer" Yugo M70B1, and M70AB2 come with US made barrels. The kits used by DSA to make FAL's have their barrels cut and to best of my knowledge, they have to use US barrels in their builds.

WASR series rifles I think are different when it comes to importation. They start out as low cap rifles and are then converted to accept hi cap magazines by CAI and US parts are added to the rifle for 922(r) compliance as well. They aren't "mil spec" when they come in unlike other rifles.

You can see for yourself the effects of gun bans on Gunbroker and other auction sites. While many sellers don't know what they are selling or are trying to deceive buyers, generally, the prices for military style rifles are within the correct price ranges.

I will use Chinese AK variants as an example. Pre ban rifles like the Type 56-1 are at $800 + now depending on condition, and post ban rifles like the MAK 90 have also risen in price to $500 +.

Neither of them will be imported again. Same goes for the SAR series (not to be confused with WASR series) and many other AK variants, along with G3's, FAL's, etc. People tell me that no one even wanted Chinese rifles then, thought they were junk! Some rifles like Valmets, are well over $1000 now, and from what I've read, were <$500 when they were allowed.

But, using your example, I find it hard to believe that a WASR series rifle could go up significantly in value, maybe if all guns were banned, unless grandfathered. They are just so common, and as I said are crudely modified to be something they weren't by CAI. Great guns to use and abuse now for people who want an AK style rifle, but also a gun that receives much disdain by AK collectors.

I agree with LorDiego though, there are much easier and more profitable investments than firearms.

(Philadelphia County)

who is to say the next ban won't make them non-transferable?

May I just add, politely, that there's no such thing as an "assault weapon" as this is a politically derived term.

Anyway, if there was a ban on these types of guns, prices will be thru the roof because, in remembrance of 1994, people will be scurrying to get everything they can get their hands on - I know I will...

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks, most of us gun owners know that, but we were using the terms of what actually occurred, there was an AWB, and they want another one.

And MarcS makes a good point, I believe HB 1022 actually stated within it that it would be everlasting.

Quote Originally Posted by jh664322 View Post
    I'd love to hear from people who were alive before, during, and after the last ban. Im wondering about all of this for the sake of investment.
    I was into guns during the '86 MG ban, and all others since.

Before May 19, 1986 Frankfort M16s were $430 +200 tax. Several weeks before May 19, Frankfort called me and asked if I would consider accepting a refund plus an additional $800. Today my '16 is valued somewhere between 10k & 13k.

Between approximately 1985 and 1989, Chinese AK prices tanked at $259, your choice between 7.62x39 or .223 Rem, fixed or side/bottom folding stocks. Immediately following the import ban* AKs were initially unavailable from distributors, then were re-released at $2500 initially. They eventually leveled off to what you see today. Note that this affected imported guns only, not domestic-made models like the AR-15, Mini-14, et al.

Very early Clayco AKMS import with
    black fiberglass furniture, circa 1984.

For a while, Russian surplus guns flooded the US market, many stopped after the Voluntary Restraint Agreement** took effect. Those $79 Russian SKS rifles are selling for $250+ now, $179 SVT-40 rifles crossed $1000 a few months ago.

Typical SVT-40 imported around 1990

And then there's the 1994 Assault Weapon Ban, which did affect the domestic market. M14 magazines went from $19 to $50+ almost overnight, high capacity magazine prices skyrocketed. Colt castrated their AR-15's bayonet lug, Bill Ruger introduced the concept of a magazine capacity limit in a vain effort to save the sled by tossing the baby to the wolves. Just about anything with the label "pre-ban" started at $1000.

I'm no expert on Wall Street, but I know not to be afraid of a profit.

It's safe to assume prices will rise when a class of firearm becomes restricted. It seems from past examples the prices jump highest right around the time the ban takes effect, and immediately after. Over time prices level off somewhat, but never return to pre-ban prices.

As far as retroactive bans, ex post facto is your friend. That means, if you get it in your hands before the ban, you get to keep it. And as far as non-transferrability, it isn't likely to happen. The President is the most likely near threat to the gun market, and the President's limited to import issues. That means AK imports & parts could vanish overnight, but no door-to-door round ups. Congress has the power to change the terms of individual ownership, but Congress hasn't forgotten the election massacre following the 1994 assault weapon ban. They loathe the idea of more casualties from additional gun legislation, so making existing guns non-transferrable isn't likely. The 1994 Congressional election cost the Democrats control of Congress, which has been under Democratic control since 1946. This election did more to bring them to Jesus about guns than any other single event that I'm aware of.

We sit in a similar situation as in 1987/88. AK imports (WASRs in particular) are cheap and everywhere. We face an incoming gun-hostile administration for almost certain. While Congress still smarts from the backlash from the 1994 ban, the White House has exclusive control over the imports, and has complete impunity from our wrath.***

__________________________________________________ ___________

* Widely credited to President Bush, but apparently an ATF mandate - see http://www.atf.gov/pub/treas_pub/ass...s/backgrnd.pdf for details.

** For more information on the US-Russian VRA, see:
    *** The President is "elected" by Congress, not by popular vote. Read article 2, section 1 of the Constitution or search for information about the "electoral college" for more information. (details)
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Allegheny County)

If you want it buy it now, the prices are always going up!

And concerning ammo, buy it cheap and stack it deep. I know it's not cheap any more.

I've got 140 round battle packs of South African 7.62x51 that I paid $22 each for a little over a year ago. Today they sell for upwards of $60-$75 each at gun shows when you can find them.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Centre County)

Just do your best to keep Hillary out of office so we don't have to worry about this shit.

(Allegheny County)

I'll go a step further and say keep all demoncrats out of office.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast