Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default LTCF Application

Got my LTCF today after buying a Glock 23 earlier this month.

I'd say the whole process was pretty smooth & painless.

Started by going to the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to get an application. I had no clue how the process worked before talking to them (had not yet discovered this forum).
    I went to the local PD the same day to drop off the police check card. They were quite nice, and told me to call them "in a few days" to make sure it was done before I came down to pick it up.
    That was on a Monday. I waited until Friday, called before going, and picked up the completed form with no issue. There was no fee charged.
    Last Friday I went back to the sheriff's office but a water main had broken in the building causing them to close down the building.
    Went back today and the whole thing went pretty quick. Officers there were very polite, and the whole thing was done in about 20 minutes. Totally hassle free, aside from the fact that the fire alarm went off as they were finishing up the application (apparently for the second time today); but they were nice enough to finish instead of telling me to come back later...and I'm sure they have some kind of policy stating "drop what you're doing and exit immediately" when an alarm goes off.
    Anyway, hats off to Montgomery county for making the process pretty easy. I've read some horror stories on these forums

(Delaware County)

Default Re: LTCF Application

Well, they had no justification for having you fill out a police check card. You have no obligation to do it.

If you paid anymore than 20.00, you paid too much

(Delaware County)

Congrats on the LTCF!!!

Please take time to read this forum. Tons of great info and accurate!

Who knows what the Sheriff told you about the law. Lol

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glyphic83 View Post
    Got my LTCF today after buying a Glock 23 earlier this month.

I'd say the whole process was pretty smooth & painless.

Started by going to the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to get an application. I had no clue how the process worked before talking to them (had not yet discovered this forum).
    You really need to read the law, and not rely on your Sheriff's Office to explain it to you.

I went to the local PD the same day to drop off the police check card. They were quite nice, and told me to call them "in a few days" to make sure it was done before I came down to pick it up.
    That was on a Monday. I waited until Friday, called before going, and picked up the completed form with no issue. There was no fee charged.
    Already you admit the process wasn't smooth, you just went through a process not found in the law, not required by law, redundant and costly (cost of your time, gas, etc), and as I see it in violation of State law.

Last Friday I went back to the sheriff's office but a water main had broken in the building causing them to close down the building.
    So, how was this process "smooth"?

Went back today and the whole thing went pretty quick. Officers there were very polite, and the whole thing was done in about 20 minutes. Totally hassle free, aside from the fact that the fire alarm went off as they were finishing up the application (apparently for the second time today); but they were nice enough to finish instead of telling me to come back later...and I'm sure they have some kind of policy stating "drop what you're doing and exit immediately" when an alarm goes off.
    Anyway, hats off to Montgomery county for making the process pretty easy. I've read some horror stories on these forums
    Montgomery County is currently one of the worst counties in the State when it comes to doing what they want, State law be damned. Your experience clearly reflects that.

This isn't a "good" story, at all.

(Montgomery County)

Yes, I am now aware after reading these forums of the contention over local police check cards. I was not at the time. In any case, I'm not going to take that up with a pencil pusher at a desk who has no power. Not worth the hassle and doesn't seem like it would be effective.
    I'd be all for discussing this with the sheriff herself, and perhaps will at some point, but that is a battle for another time.
    As far as the water main break...yes, that was n inconvenience, but what are you gonna do? Yell at them because a pipe broke? Shit happens, it isn't anyone's fault

(Montgomery County)

Oh, and I paid $20

(Lehigh County)

Yes, I am now aware after reading these forums of the contention over local police check cards. I was not at the time. In any case, I'm not going to take that up with a pencil pusher at a desk who has no power. Not worth the hassle and doesn't seem like it would be effective.
    I'd be all for discussing this with the sheriff herself, and perhaps will at some point, but that is a battle for another time.
    As far as the water main break...yes, that was n inconvenience, but what are you gonna do? Yell at them because a pipe broke? Shit happens, it isn't anyone's fault
    The water main break isn't their fault, clearly, but the main point I was emphasizing is that the entire process added a delay from when you bought your legally owned firearm to the time when you could legally carry it.

In my experience, you are correct about the ineffectiveness of trying to address things with the staff, however I do have to ask, when do you see the "battle for another time" actually getting to that time?

Oh, and I paid $20
    Now that is a bit of good news.

(Montgomery County)

Ironsight,
    Honestly, I have no clue. Am I going to start writing letters or calling the sheriff? No. It's just more trouble than it's worth.
    I've read and agree with the points many have raised here about the legality of local police check cards. Were there an active initiative to address this with the sheriff (petition, meeting, whatever) I would certainly participate.
    That said, I'm not going to fight the issue myself, as I just don't care that much to be perfectly honest. Every individual has their line, and the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office didn't cross mine. In my own experience it just plain wasn't that big of a deal. I was in no rush and happen to live less than a mile from local PD.
    While I do see and agree with your point (and others) regarding the lack of a requirement for the local PD check, I personally believe there are bigger fish to fry (e.g. a president who supports a ban on concealed carry) and this particular issue isn't worth my time. Sometimes you have to pick your battles, ya know?

(Beaver County)

You should have slapped down a copy of the statute governing LTCF process and then had those assclowns show you the section that mentions "police check cards." After a few seconds, you might have hinted to them that it wasn't part of the fucking statute, but that "you not getting to make up bullshit hoops for me to jump through" certainly was. Sorry to rain on your LTCF, but the Sheriff stuck it to you and convinced you that it was well done.
    It has to start someplace... It has to start sometime...
    What better place than here? What better time than now! - RAtM

Quote Originally Posted by Python73 View Post
    You should have slapped down a copy of the statute governing LTCF process and then had those assclowns show you the section that mentions "police check cards." After a few seconds, you might have hinted to them that it wasn't part of the fucking statute, but that "you not getting to make up bullshit hoops for me to jump through" certainly was. Sorry to rain on your LTCF, but the Sheriff stuck it to you and convinced you that it was well done.
    Wasn't there another thread recently where someone was going to contact the sheriff and ask her about this and why she continues doing it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast