Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Franklin Institute

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Knife Carry is illegal in Philadelphia.
    I stand corrected on the knife part of my statement in the city of Filthadelphia

Philadelphia Code §10-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places.

(1) Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JonEMTP View Post
    I volunteered there in high school (Long live W3TKQ/W3AA!), and I've maintained a membership off and on for the last ~10 years).
    You know that's gone now. The Institute did some redesign and asked Phil-Mont to leave. http://www.phil-mont.org/tfi-hist.html That was a really nice station. I'm not sure where it's been moved to.
    Last edited by Sparks; July 27th, 2011 at 10:52 AM.

(Chester County)

I was around for ~3 years leading up to the move. I never did make it to the new location - They found a host in a public school... not sure if they are still there.

It was a real shame... the station was mostly self-sustaining with donated time and equipment... and it was darn fun to work a station with that power output... and name recognition. I remember more than a few weekend contesters pausing to take time to talk with youth that wanted to get on the air.

And now the 4th floor isn't even open as exhibits, except for guided astronomy tours.

(Philadelphia County)

It might be Northeast High in Phila, but I am not sure. I took a Scout group there for a JOTA event one year. We spent most of Saturday afternoon at the station and made quite a few contacts. That was the first time I saw SS TV.

(Montgomery County)

I can tell you where part of W3TKQ ended up. An old part:

At the Naval Air Station Wildwood Aviation Museum.

By the way, in my younger days I volunteered at the Institute. We were called "FIRST" volunteers. You can get an idea of how long ago that was by the fact that one of my jobs was hanging out on the flight deck of the British Airways 707 parked out behind the building.

We now return you to the actual topic...

(Montgomery County)

Sad that I never got to visit the station when it was active. Also it always amazes me how many of us there are right here on PAFOA.

_ _ ... ..._ _ _.. . ._ _ _... ..._ _ _.._

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    I stand corrected on the knife part of my statement in the city of Filthadelphia

Philadelphia Code §10-820. Cutting Weapons in Public Places.

(1) Definition.

Cutting Weapon. Any knife or other cutting instrument which can be used as a weapon that has a cutting edge similar to that of a knife. No tool or instrument commonly or ordinarily used in a trade, profession or calling shall be considered a cutting weapon while actually being used in the active exercise of that trade, profession or calling.

(2) Prohibited Conduct. No person shall use or possess any cutting weapon upon the public streets or upon any public property at any time.

(3) Penalty. The penalty for violation of this section shall be a fine of not less than three hundred (300) dollars and imprisonment of not less than ninety days.
    Really? $300 and 90 days minimum jail time for carrying a pocket knife in Philly? There's not particular circumstances to that law citing enforcement only when, say, used in a crime or anything?

I've carried a pocket knife all of my adult life (in Pittsburgh), so that one was a little jaw dropping to me.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Resh View Post
    Really? $300 and 90 days minimum jail time for carrying a pocket knife in Philly? There's not particular circumstances to that law citing enforcement only when, say, used in a crime or anything?

I've carried a pocket knife all of my adult life (in Pittsburgh), so that one was a little jaw dropping to me.
    Welcome to the People's Republic of Philadelphia. Enjoy your stay.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post
    Sad that I never got to visit the station when it was active. Also it always amazes me how many of us there are right here on PAFOA.

_ _ ... ..._ _ _.. . ._ _ _... ..._ _ _.._
    Seems to be a correlation, a lot of hams are firearms owners. Not the other way though. It also seems that a lot of hams are railroad enthusiast's too, not that it means anything, and certainly has no relevance here. It general hams appreciate fine machinery which would include firearms and steam locomotives. Or maybe we're just trying to live in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Resh View Post

The law is generally not enforced, but could be used as a "pile on" charge if they lock you up for something else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast