Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My First OC

(York County)

Default My First OC

Well today I did my first OC, I started off with my leg holster on that use at the range when I left my house when my buddies picked me up to go to the range. Well on the way we needed to stop at Gander mountain so I decided to take the holster off the leg mount and mount it to my belt, (wasn't sure if drop holsters are legal to OC with or a smart way to walk around in public), and in we went. I must say it after a min or two I didn't ever think about it and on one even looked at me or made a comment. Now grant it it was a sporting goods store but its a start I guess. So we leave and get to the range and a game cop is standing next to his truck so we all get out and he looks right at me and asks :

GC: Is that thing loaded
    Me: Yes Sir
    GC: You know you can't walk around like that
    Me: PA is a open carry state and its my right
    GC: Yes I know that, but on a State Game Land range you can not walk around with a loaded firearm
    Me: Ok,

So I unloaded, figured he was being nice and not a ass, plus I didn't want to ruin our day of play. He then checked if we had range permits or hunting lic. As he was checking my friends, I check the rules and he was right so lesson learned. So all in all I think it was a good first day.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: My First OC

The details here are awfully fuzzy, but the "game cop" sounds awfully ignorant. State law does not distinguish between a "loaded" firearm and an "unloaded" firearm unless you're transporting it without an LTCF, as far as I know. If you were in a State Park, you can't OC, but other than that...and someone else more knowledgable than myself will clarify or correct me here...the "game cop" was full of horseshit.
    Junior

(Montgomery County)

Where was this?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    The details here are awfully fuzzy, but the "game cop" sounds awfully ignorant. State law does not distinguish between a "loaded" firearm and an "unloaded" firearm unless you're transporting it without an LTCF, as far as I know. If you were in a State Park, you can't OC, but other than that...and someone else more knowledgable than myself will clarify or correct me here...the "game cop" was full of horseshit.
    Sorry the Deputy Wildlife Conservation Officer, was saying that while at the gun range you can not walk around with a loaded firearm. this just while at the range. Plus this is at State Game Land not a State Park, the shooting range itself has a different rules for saftey. The WCO was in no way ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    Where was this?
    State Game Land 242 off Rt 74

(York County)

Most gun ranges have signs that say no loaded firearms down range and that chambers must be left open when targets are being checked.

Why would you need a hunting license to use a range? Befor the one closed in York New Salem you did not need anything to use the range but it has been closed for several years
    Last edited by StonewallRabbitry; July 25th, 2011 at 09:55 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by StonewallRabbitry View Post
    Most gun rangers have signd that say no loaded firearms down range and that chambers must be left open when targets are being checked.

Why would you need a hunting license to use a range? Befor the one closed in York New Salem you did not need anything to use the range but it has been closed for several years
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=937842&mode=2

Beginning April 1, 2011, those who shoot firearms at one of the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s State Game Lands public shooting ranges must possess and carry with them either an annual $30 range use permit or a current general hunting or furtaker license. Individuals without a range use permit or hunting or furtaker license will be fined.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Lackawanna County)

§135.181. Rifle and handgun ranges.

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee, it is unlawful to:

(1) Possess a loaded firearm, except at an established shooting station on the firing line.
    IMO it's a stupid law, but the OP is correct. This is usually posted on all public ranges for everyone to see. It's arguable that once HB40 goes into effect, this could be challenged as a state agency regulating possession of a firearm in violation of the UFA, but until then, it does not fall under pre-emption.

As they say, "Them's the rules."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by C27433 View Post
    IMO it's a stupid law, but the OP is correct. This is usually posted on all public ranges for everyone to see. It's arguable that once HB40 goes into effect, this could be challenged as a state agency regulating possession of a firearm in violation of the UFA, but until then, it does not fall under pre-emption.

As they say, "Them's the rules."
    There is an exception for LTCF carriers and Law Enforcement Officers, otherwise the warden is also in violation of the statute.
    I always OC at the SGL range, up and down range. It is not located within the State Park as far as I know.
    Last edited by ByblosHex; July 25th, 2011 at 10:23 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    The OP was at a State Game Land Range, not park, so yes, the unloaded rule applies while on the range except at a firing station.

(York County)

The funny thing is its cheaper to buy a hunting lic then to buy the permit.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast