Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default How to simulate malfunctions?

I would like to learn how to create different pistol malfunctions. I’m using snap caps randomly mixed with live ammo to simulate failure to fire. As well I load used brass with live ammo to simulate failure to feed and go to drill: slap pull fire. Drill will not work and it will look like double feed that you have to drop, pull, pull, reload.….
    Misfire, failure to breach, failure to extract any other drill you can suggest that can be done safely but randomly on range while shooting.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: How to simulate malfunctions?

Buy a hi-point.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    Buy a hi-point.
    Or a Bryco/Jennings.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: How to simulate malfunctions?

Or use spent shell casings.

(Allegheny County)

Personally, and I know this doesnt directly adress your question, but I wouldnt bother.

Rather, Id say your time and energy on the range should be dedicated to mastering accuracy, shooting on the move, and the draw.

I think one should know how to fix a malf, and Tap-Rack adresses most every issue that can be fixed IMMEDIATLY , but if your gun malf's enough that its higher on your list than draw to first shot you need a new gun, not parctice fixing malf's.

Know it, review the procedure from time to time, but dont get obsessed with it.

Ive seen guys while practicing close quarters stuff go to reload or fix a malf inside 5 yards with a target or oppenent, I had done it myself before I knew, was taught, and practiced better...... thats not the time and place to fool with the gun.

(Delaware County)

Buy a hi-point.
    $155 out the door. I just might do that

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Or use spent shell casings.
    That's what i meant by I'm using used brass. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Personally, and I know this doesnt directly adress your question, but I wouldnt bother.

Rather, Id say your time and energy on the range should be dedicated to mastering accuracy, shooting on the move, and the draw.

I think one should know how to fix a malf, and Tap-Rack adresses most every issue that can be fixed IMMEDIATLY , but if your gun malf's enough that its higher on your list than draw to first shot you need a new gun, not parctice fixing malf's.

Know it, review the procedure from time to time, but dont get obsessed with it.

Ive seen guys while practicing close quarters stuff go to reload or fix a malf inside 5 yards with a target or oppenent, I had done it myself before I knew, was taught, and practiced better...... thats not the time and place to fool with the gun.
    Long story short, everybody different: sometimes i shoot for accuracy and sometimes for combat accuracy ....and when you load your mags throw a monkey wrench and see how you handle it. but your comment about close quarters is beyond me: if you have malfunction in 5 yards then what do you personally would do? You wouldn't clear it? Try to take cover and clear a jam or change mag? Side step while reloading? Charge the enemy? or chuck that jammed gun at him?

(Monroe County)

If you want practice clearing failure to extracts I could make you a deal on and M&P pro series...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Egres View Post
    if you have malfunction in 5 yards then what do you personally would do? You wouldn't clear it? Try to take cover and clear a jam or change mag? Side step while reloading? Charge the enemy? or chuck that jammed gun at him?
    When you are that close, it would be foolish to do anything besides transition to your sidearm, IMO. But if you only had a pistol and nothing else, then yeah, I would take cover and try to clear the malfunction.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    If you want practice clearing failure to extracts I could make you a deal on and M&P pro series...
    Just wondering what’s wrong with M&P pro series. I do not own one but know many people that love them and one guy told me that he will take his MP anytime over all my XDs all together. Or it just Pro series?

When you are that close, it would be foolish to do anything besides transition to your sidearm, IMO. But if you only had a pistol and nothing else, then yeah, I would take cover and try to clear the malfunction.
    Now i wonder if i need back up pistol

(Allegheny County)

"If you have malfunction in 5 yards then what personally would you do? You wouldn't clear it? Try to take cover and clear a jam or change mag? Side step while reloading? Charge the enemy? or chuck that jammed gun at him?"

Would I clear it - maybe.
    Would I take cover and clear it or change mag - maybe.
    Side step (move/create distance) while reloading - maybe.
    Charge the enemy, and use the jammed gun as an impact weapon - maybe.
    Charge the enemy and disarm him of his weapon - maybe.
    Draw a BUG - maybe.

Lots of possible answers. The thing about gunfights is that they are a come as you are affair. Sometimes we need to be able to do different things in order to accomplish the mission.

It all depends.

As for the original post - yes I do practice malfunction clearance drills on occassions; Tap -Rack -Bang (and yes for you high speed individuals - I add asses to the drill!)

As well as the Double Feed drill (using an empty case in the chamber).
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast