Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Most accurate stock bolt action rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperHummel View Post
    I'm sure by that you must mean " if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, make an ugly woman your wife" because I plink with German surplus 7.62 and get quarter size groups out of my savage at 100 yds. And what's the price of a 700 with the 5r milspec?
    They can be difficult to find in stock sometimes depending on which caliber you want. They are usually right close to $1,000-1,100 if you shop around for the rifle. That's no accessories, case, optics, or anything else, just the rifle.

(Beaver County)

I figured it was borderline or outside the price range that the OP has.

(Cumberland County)

I figured it was borderline or outside the price range that the OP has.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=246002134....wassent too hard to find. buy it now at 977, shipping and transfer puts ya at about 1050. not having to tell people you have a savage, PRICELESS!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by yukon375 View Post
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=246002134....wassent too hard to find. buy it now at 977, shipping and transfer puts ya at about 1050. not having to tell people you have a savage, PRICELESS!
    First, I'm not going to turn this into some sort "my toys are better than your toys" thread. I have had zero problems with the 3 savages I have owned. I currently own 2 still. They are newer ones (M10 BAS-K and a Precision Carbine). I don't know if you see Savages as some sort of Hi-Point of bolt actions because you had a horrible experience or b/c you are just being a gun snob. It's ok. We all have our own opinions.

My question about the price of the 5R milspec was rhetorical. I know how much they can cost. I'm quite capable of using Google and determining average cost. $1050 is alot of money to drop on a rifle that will cost a lot more to put quality optics on it. The O.P of this thread is a huge fan of Mil-Surps. Mil-Surps are older, sometimes heavily used, and cheaper to buy to get more guns for less buck. Using that nugget of info I think it's both fair and factual to say he is looking for a package deal price for under $1000 for a rifle and scope that wouldn't break the bank.

I'm not trashing the 700 w/ 5R barrel. There is a reason why the US Military continues to use the M24. It is a superior rifle. For price and out of box accuracy, the Savage is a cheaper alternative. The 700 SPS .223 I had gave me follower spring and extraction issues right out of the box. That was my experience. I wasn't pleased and decided to move on.

If you despise Savage so much, instead of cramming the 700 5R down our throats for the mere fact it's not a Savage, give us a reason. The O.P is looking for suggestions and most likely reasoning behinds those suggestions.

***I apologize for the rant***

If you despise Savage so much, instead of cramming the 700 5R down our throats for the mere fact it's not a Savage, give us a reason. The O.P is looking for suggestions and most likely reasoning behinds those suggestions.
    The Remington is a better base to build off of. You can tighten them up much more and there is also more aftermarket support for them. I like the FN/Winchester actions with pre-'64 actions. They are the better ones to build off of(If you ask me), but not as much aftermarket support. They also cost more.

Savage makes some pretty awesome rimfires, but that's as far as I'd go with a Savage.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

How does the stock savage with accustock and accutrigger compare to a remington 700?

The stock comes aluminum bedded, with an adjustable trigger, and from what I understand they are very accurate. 650

The 700 are not beeded or aluminum blocked. ONLY in the customer models which are 1500.

Now I do not own any Savages... only remington's but given Rems recent rep.. which I have herd from multiple sources.. savage may just be the best stock rifle for the buck? yes/no?

I personally am thinking of getting a savage 116. BUT, really would like a browning x bolt or remington custom.

Don't forget, you can get a savage 116 and then have Bob Hart accurize the package for 350.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    How does the stock savage with accustock and accutrigger compare to a remington 700?

The stock comes aluminum bedded, with an adjustable trigger, and from what I understand they are very accurate. 650

The 700 are not beeded or aluminum blocked. ONLY in the customer models which are 1500.

Now I do not own any Savages... only remington's but given Rems recent rep.. which I have herd from multiple sources.. savage may just be the best stock rifle for the buck? yes/no?

I personally am thinking of getting a savage 116. BUT, really would like a browning x bolt or remington custom.

Don't forget, you can get a savage 116 and then have Bob Hart accurize the package for 350.
    Bedding blocks are all fine and dandy, but how are they actually bedded (i.e. marine-tex, devcon, etc)? My Badger rifle in a KMW Sentinel (designed by Terry Cross, made by McMillan) does not have a bedding block and it shoots jelly tight (it's a real 5-shot sub 1/2 moa gun, for reals).

Remingtons barely require lapping of lugs(if they do at all, you'll spend more time cleaning the compound out of the action then you will lapping the lugs) as opposed to Savages, which do more times then not, require lug-lapping. The x-mark trigger can be adjusted by a 1st grader. Lapping the barrel can help, but it can also do more damage then good if done incorrectly. The whole lapping rings, mount the scope, and bore sight can all be mittigated by quality parts and common sense(if not, it can be done by with a ring lapping kit that doesn't cost $350). The only semi-tricky thing done is re-crowning the muzzle. You can find more then one video on how to do it (and do it the proper way) on the interweb.

The only issue I have found with the newer Remingtons is that the bolt knobs are porous, making it a bit tricky when threading on aftermarket bolt knobs. This is mitigated by drilling and taping for threaded tool-steel stock in both the old part of the knob and the newer aftermarket knob.

All and all, you can't take a savage as far as you can a Remington. Once you really start seeking crazy accuracy, you really start to pay big bucks. If you start with a Savage action and plan to get some serious accuracy out of it, at some point, you are going to have to get an action that is based off another design.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

To the OP, you live in Perry Co and are close to Mifflin County Sportsmans Association...join that club...you can shoot 1025 yards out there...I went there at the beginning of July and it's a pretty nice range for $50.

I don't know why there's so much talk on the net about the Remington 5R...owned one and while it shot well, it wasn't some sort of magical slayer as some on the net make it out to be...realistically, it's a .5 shooter...which is really good for a factory rifle, but it's not the end all. My Savage out shot the 5R by a good margin...I sold the 5R to a member on this board.

There is a reason why Remington actions are popolar...it's because all gunsmiths must know how to work on Remington actions when they attend gunsmithing school. It doesn't mean that the Remington action is better than say the Winchester or Savage action. Go ask any gunsmith if they know how to work on Remington actions and I am willing to wager the answer will be yes.

If you have a low budget starting off, I say your best option would be going with a Savage/Stevens 200 or Marlin XL/XS rifles because you will be able to upgrade those rifles down the line when you become a better shooter and when more funds become available. You can do barrel swaps with minimum tools and it takes less than 20 minutes.

If you ever buy a Remington and you want a different barrel, it will cost you at least $600+ to change out your barrel.

There will never be an end to the Remington vs. Savage debate...some will like one over the other, but the fact remains that you can do more yourself with a Savage action and save tons of money in the process.

For you budget minded guys that may be looking for a good rifle, and the OP for that matter, look at the Savage Edge. It is less than $300, doesn't look bad, and it will hit a quarter from 100 yards out. Comes in a variety of calibers and I can personally attest that it is not the abortion the Rem. 770 was/is, and I am a Rem. fan. The edge does not have irons, but a WM Centerpoint 4X16-50 is $66. A $350 rifle that will shoot under MOA. Yes, it is true.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345