Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club?

I was originally interested in joining LPRGC since they are very close to me. I called and explained that I travel frequently and work very strange hours, and asked if there was there a way I would be able to apply for membership without attending their meetings on thursdays, or possibly attending something on the weekend instead. I got a very rude and snobby "no that isnt possible", and I wrote them off and never called back.

Two years later about a month ago, I heard they do IDPA on saturdays and I became very interested because every other club I know of that does IDPA is during whe week at night when I am not often available. I thought it would be nice to shoot where I would also compete, however I still have a rough schedule and I am still put off by their poor attitude.

Does anyone else have a more positive outlook on LPRGC or know of a way to check out the club or even become a member with my schedule? I dont want to waste my time with them again if they are going to be difficult.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club?

I had a hard time with them when I joined two years ago.

They recruited me when they had a booth set up at the Valley Forge gun show. I signed up, paid my money ($130 for the first year, I think), went to two meetings, did my four hour work day and qualified to use the indoor range.

The problem I had was in order to shoot in their little action shoots on Tuesday nights, I had to take their NRA basic pistol and personal protection in the home courses. Well, I've been a certified instructor in those disciplines for about six years and I've taught at least one of each of those courses per year since I've been certified. I was told in no uncertain terms that it didn't matter and I would have to take the courses anyway.

When I looked up the courses on their website, they were charging something like $60 for the basic pistol and $150 for the personal protection. I don't remember the exact costs. In order to play in their little reindeer games on Tuesday nights, it would cost me $300 to $350 and about 25 hours of my time.

The feeling I got from the people there was they had their own little clique thing going and didn't want any new members who were experienced shooters. The attitude reminded me of a college fraternity. I wasn't good enough to participate in their little club until I jumped through all the hoops and paid my proper respects to the "brothers".

Needless to say, I never went back there and did not renew my membership when it came due. They won't get another cent of my money.

(Luzerne County)

Screw them then. I have enough qualifications and a job that requires a firearm, I don't need their approval. Ohwell, I guess its back to french creek outfitters, which is 20 minutes away instead of LPRGC which is 2 minutes away

(Bucks County)

Kimberton Fish and Game isn't that far from you.

They have some stiff rules though because the area around the ranges has been developed right up to the property line and they're afraid a round will get out and hit someone or something.

I don't think they have IDPA matches but they used to run pin matches on Sundays.

(Luzerne County)

I just need a good place to shoot that is closer than french creek, that drive is such a pain even though its only 30 mins at most, I thought about LPGC because its only 2 or 3 miles away. I can shoot IDPA at LPRGC without being a member so that really isnt an issue.

(Montgomery County)

I joined there a few years ago as they are very close to my house. I let the membership lapse the next year.
    While I agree that their rules seem to be somewhat draconian, please do not be too harsh on them. They are in a very hostile environment that is landlocked by developments that are very very close.
    Their rules are a necessity to stay in business as it would only take a single incident to put their future in jeopardy.
    I have been shooting for many years and I also could not stomach the pre-reqs, especially the schedule for them. I would have needed to signup for their classes months in advance and it was just not for me. I did go to a couple shoots, to watch, and they were doing some neat indoor/low-light stuff that I would have liked to do but I just could not deal with the rules.
    Mrs. 9mmMike & I went there for a "ladies day" and she got to shoot pistol, rifle and shotgun. It was after that event that I bought her an 1100 Special Field (she was already a pistol shooter) and we've been happily busting clays together ever since.
    LPRG does a ton of good work to support the 2A, CMP and all shooting sports.
    All in all, with a few exceptions, they are good guys operating in enemy territory. Please keep that in mind.
    Mike

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JLStorm View Post
    I just need a good place to shoot that is closer than french creek, that drive is such a pain even though its only 30 mins at most, I thought about LPGC because its only 2 or 3 miles away. I can shoot IDPA at LPRGC without being a member so that really isnt an issue.
    We must be neighbors.

We shoot pistol at Target World in Montgomeryville. For shotguns (sporting clays) we drive up to Lehigh Valley Sporting Clays and it is well worth the drive time.
    We will be heading out to French Creek to test a couple shotties on the free range on Monday (I hope).
    French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville is pretty close and has a nice indoor range.
    Boulder valley is another small outdoor club in Perkiomenville that has a rifle and shotgun area.
    I recently shot at Langhorne Rod & Gun and they have a nice range. It's not a terrible drive up the Turnpike.
    I've not been to Kimberton yet to check them out though I'd like to get there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmMike View Post
    I joined there a few years ago as they are very close to my house. I let the membership lapse the next year.
    While I agree that their rules seem to be somewhat draconian, please do not be too harsh on them. They are in a very hostile environment that is landlocked by developments that are very very close.
    Their rules are a necessity to stay in business as it would only take a single incident to put their future in jeopardy.
    I have been shooting for many years and I also could not stomach the pre-reqs, especially the schedule for them. I would have needed to signup for their classes months in advance and it was just not for me. I did go to a couple shoots, to watch, and they were doing some neat indoor/low-light stuff that I would have liked to do but I just could not deal with the rules.
    Mrs. 9mmMike & I went there for a "ladies day" and she got to shoot pistol, rifle and shotgun. It was after that event that I bought her an 1100 Special Field (she was already a pistol shooter) and we've been happily busting clays together ever since.
    LPRG does a ton of good work to support the 2A, CMP and all shooting sports.
    All in all, with a few exceptions, they are good guys operating in enemy territory. Please keep that in mind.
    Mike
    Mike,

If it was simply a situation of good guys operating in enemy territory, they wouldn't have tried to bilk me for $350. Good guys don't do that. Plus, the guys I dealt with were arrogant and rude. I got the impression that they thought they were God's gift to the shooting world and there was no way I was going to be allowed to shoot with them in their kingdom unless I learned how from them.

JLStorm asked if anyone had a more positive outlook on that club. From my response, my experience was obviously not positive. I didn't reply to JLStorm's post simply to put down LPRGC. I only responded to convey my experience.

Regardless of how hostile the environment is, how far "behind enemy lines" they are, or how much good work they do supporting the 2nd Ammendment, CMP or other shooting sports, there's no excuse for the way JLStorm and I were treated.

(Lackawanna County)

I shot at IDPA at this place. Didn't really have a good experience, along with a few friends who went. It will be the last time i visit this place. I talked to a guy who shoots there beacuse it's also next to his house and he said the guys there are very rude and have strict rules which are quite weird. Alot of the guys were decent, but there were quite a few which seemed like they really weren't accepting of new guys coming to shoot with them. Last time my group goes there.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post
    If it was simply a situation of good guys operating in enemy territory, they wouldn't have tried to bilk me for $350. Good guys don't do that. Plus, the guys I dealt with were arrogant and rude. I got the impression that they thought they were God's gift to the shooting world and there was no way I was going to be allowed to shoot with them in their kingdom unless I learned how from them.
    That attitude is pretty common, actually, in ranges. Every instructor in every Podunk range thinks only he and his class passes muster. Combine that with a clear motivation to push over-priced classes.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast