Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club?

So last night was the orientation for LPRGC, and I have to say it went well. Safety is obviously the number one concern, and I appreciate that. I was most impressed when it came time for the range qualifying and those serving as Safety Officers took the time to really coach new members on safe gun handling, and accuracy. I thought it would be a simple...step to the line and shoot..type of thing, but it was much more for several people. They took the time to review grip, trigger pull, flinching, etc for many people. They were totally engaged with each person and were focused on ensuring each person got value out of the qualification test.

Where the meeting a week ago had very little interaction between new members and veteran members, this orientation was the exact opposite. Everyone that was there was focused on being available to answer questions and provide good advice. So, I'll chalk this up as a very nice positive experience. I just wish I didn't have to wait until the next meeting to be able to get on the range!

(Montgomery County)

I hope you have a chance to get out tonight for Trap.
    I don't know if the weather gets much nicer.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I hope you have a chance to get out tonight for Trap.
    I don't know if the weather gets much nicer.
    I won't be there until Little League base ball season is over. Umpiring games every Friday night!
    See you in June..
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

I just left the club. Wow, the weather won't ever get nicer than tonight. Wish i could have stayed...
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Montgomery County)

not to discount what anyone has said so far, and I am sure there may be more than meets the eye, but so far my experience has been grea. I am a newmember, did my work party in May, and have qualfied for imdoor range and the rifle range.

So far everyone has been very welcoming, so I am a little surprised after readingall this thread. I am glad I did not read it prior to becoming a member or I would never have joined. I was a member at another club in Philly and let it lapse due to the total lack of friendliness at the other club.

To date at LPRGC, I have been offered to shoot a bow that looked like it cost more than I make in a week by someone I had never met before, got free shooting tips from several instructors at the Thurs night Pistol clinic, had people invte me to the archery shoot, and have been treated like a welcomed member.

Hope I don't jinx it by saying it out loud, but I am happy I joined.

(Montgomery County)

Smile Re: Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club?

I would agree with Don above. I recently joined also and am very happy with my decision. The people are great! And they run a safe operation.

A lot of the discussion seems to focus on Action Pistol. They have a rigorous program to qualify and it is not unreasonable in my opinion to insure everyone is safe.

I would encourage anyone even slightly interested to come to a monthly general meeting on the first Tuesday of every month and judge for yourself.

(Montgomery County)

I've been playing with the idea of joining. I haven't had time to get to any indoor ranges closer to me and I seem to think that if I joined I'd somehow be able to force myself to have time to go there. I also like the idea of an outdoor rifle range.

Question: does anyone know I they will be at the Oaks show again in August waiving the one time application fee? I completely missed them in May and had I seen them and known they were waiving the fee I would have applied right there.

While I cannot guarantee it, I'll say that they haven't missed one yet.
    Honey, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bhubb3rd View Post
    A lot of the discussion seems to focus on Action Pistol. They have a rigorous program to qualify and it is not unreasonable in my opinion to insure everyone is safe.
    I just passed the Action Qualification test last week. I was 1 of 3 that passed. I think about 15 people took the test.

LPRGC has USPSA and IDPA matches almost every month.. Shoot those and you will have a much easier time to pass the Action test..

And with a lot of the changes this year. It has become a lot easier to get to the point of shooting the action test.

If you are safe, and follow the rules, you will have absolutely no problems there..

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    Question: does anyone know I they will be at the Oaks show again in August waiving the one time application fee? I completely missed them in May and had I seen them and known they were waiving the fee I would have applied right there.
    LPRGC will be setup at the upcoming Oaks show. I believe they normally waive half of the initiation fee. But I could be wrong and it might be the entire fee.. Either way it makes sense to join at the gun shows if you can wait that long.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

Rigorous is a subjective term I guess. I need to get back there to qualify and the most rigorous part I can think if making the time to get there!

It's similar to the Ham Radio test. The reason you need to have a Ham license is not because of what you are doing, rather what you will be permitted to do once you have the license. Once you have a license, you can build you own radio, antenna, etc. and without a basic knowledge of electricity, you can hurt/kill yourself and others. The older Kenwood radios, like mine, have a 700 volt transformer inside the unit. Touch one of those and let me know how you make out.

Same thing with guns. At LPRGC, you have full access to a club plopped smack dab in subirbia. There is no room for mistakes. If you don't think people are wreckless, go thte State Game land ranges some time....and wear kevlar.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast