***NOTE I am not sure if this is the right section for this. If it isn't I'm sorry, please move it to the correct section***

Well, something interesting happened to my wife and I yesterday while on a date. Some background: I was carrying a Kel-Tec P32 (normally I’ll carry a .40 Sig229 or a .45 1911, but with the extreme heat, I decided to down-size and pocket carry) and my wife wasn’t carrying. She has a license but is having a hard time finding a way to conceal a firearm that she can shoot well.

My wife and I sat down at a local fast-food restaurant (I know – cheap date – but we’re on a tight budget so it’s all we can afford). As is the norm, I sit down facing the door and my wife is across from me. The place we are eating in is in a decent part of town, but occasionally people that I would rather not see in a back alley wonder through. I notice a few of these people in the restaurant, but none of them was really raising any red-flags. My wife had the same observation.

So, there we are, enjoying our meal when I hear someone behind me (and between me and the registers) yell “No body move!”. You could hear a pin drop a mile away. My first thought was “SH*T! This place is being robbed and my back is to the robber!” Next immediate thought: “D***IT! I have my pea shooter, I should have brought the Sig and my spare mags”

Well, needing more information and not wanting to jump up and get shot by whoever just said that, or his buddies, I use my peripheral vision and slowly scan the room. Everyone is frozen with a shocked look on their face, trying not to be noticed. I continue to scan until I come to the person who said not to move:

It was a middle-aged woman talking on her cell phone. Apparently, the rest of her group was lost and she was going to go out and meet them. She didn’t want them to go anywhere, so she loudly (loud enough that everyone in the restaurant heard it) told her group that “No body move” so she can get them.

I debated if I should post this or not, but I finally decided because it was a reminder to me of a few things, and hopefully it will be for you, too. Personally, this was a reminder that things can quickly go bad (and suddenly we wish we had that bigger gun that we thought would be too uncomfortable to wear) but also how things are not always how they seem. What, to the 30 people there, was clearly a robbery was simply an idiot on a cell phone trying to reconnect with her group. This was also a good reminder to clearly identify the target (or in this case, threat) before firing. Firing at just a sound or an otherwise unconfirmed threat (which I would never do, but unfortunately some have) can have disastrous and tragic results… even if a court finds that no one did anything illegal. This was also a wake-up call for my wife, who is now determined to find a way to carry, ASAP .