Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Question about side-stepping to the left

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    Thank you, again, for your replies. I think the parameters for this have been misunderstood. What I am asking is not for the merits of moving out of the line of fire, which I already know one should do. Instead, if I have two options - one is to move to my left and the other is to move to my right, and both are equally beneficial, which direction should I move to cover so I have the best chance of getting to cover without being shot.

I have a few reasons that I said that the idea is to stop the threat and not not get shot. Stopping the threat can certainly be a means to an end - such as not getting shot, going home safe, protecting family, etc., but it is my goal if I should ever need to use lethal force to stop the threat. Lethal force can accomplish these other goals, but the goal of using lethal force is to stop the threat. If I need to use lethal force, I am doing so until the threat is no longer a threat - not until I am not actively taking rounds or until I am shot (or stabbed, beaten, etc.). As I said above, this can serve another purpose, but that other purpose is not the goal of using lethal force.

I should use tactics such that I minimize my risks of being shot. However, if someone is already in the process of drawing on me, the reality is that if I don't move, I am going to get shot (hence my post about which direction minimizes the chances of that). I have also been in airsoft scenarios. While these are fantastic learning experiences, unless they are videotaped, they do little to present a documented case for doing (or not doing) something. The reason I posted is because I was looking for documentation about which direction is preferable to move in. Thank you, again, to those that did answer this question - especially for providing resources.
    In reality the enviroment will chose where/if you can move.

There are no cut and dry ansewrs once you get into this realm. As Randy Cain would day "there is no tactical rolodex."

I know I sound like Im just beating a monotone biard on thsi drum, but here it goes anyway.
    Seek out and attend professional firearms training from reputable instructors.

(Northampton County)

Seek out and attend professional firearms training from reputable instructors.
    Yes, I know the value of reputable firearms training.

I am a firearms instructor for a police department. I probably should have mentioned this sooner, but I have been asked to submit a new course of fire for the department's qualification course. The reason I originally posted is because I am seeking documentation about what direction is best to move in if someone draws a gun on you. Part of the qualification will involve moving out of the line of fire and I want to make sure the different stages in the course of fire are backed up with documentation. I recalled reading a few years ago that it is statistically better to move to the gun-side of the shooter (your left if they are right handed) but I could not find that source. This led me to post asking for any documentation about which direction is generally better to move in, assuming everything else is equal (distance to and type of cover, etc.). I know that simply taking a step to one side and then firing a few times is not sufficient movement, but I also have to work with what I have.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    This is why I objected to the word "winning" -- aside from the gamer baggage, it doesn't really mean anything. Winning and losing are only two words, but in an armed attack, there are a lot more than 2 results. There's "my party and I end up unscathed, unarrested, unsued" and "we end up dead," with a whole lot of middle ground too.
    It's about mindset. It is generally accepted that the will to survive is more likely to get you killed in a gunfight than the determination to win. A determined warrior never hesitates at any chance to defeat his foe.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    It's about mindset.
    You're absolutely right. This drive to not just stay alive, but to overcome one's lethal opponent no matter what and thrive afterwards is critical. There are so many documented shootings where a person was critically wounded or should have been put down by their injuries but they kept on fighting, sometimes even pursuing their attacker on foot while many other times a person with an otherwise non-fatal injury dies "of their injuries" simply because they did not have the will to overcome the obstacle of being injured and stay alive.

(Bucks County)

It's about mindset.
    I get the importance of mindset, but mindset is about far more than expressing slogans on a gun board. Slogans about "winning" don't carry much value without an acceptance of reality, i.e., the direness of the stated situation, and therefore HOW exactly you expect to "win."

IMO, the right mindset does not come about from blanket statements about "winning" regardless of specifics. It comes about from having a solid game plan, and the technical/physical wherewithal to realize that game plan....and THAT was what I thought the OP was looking for, not platitudes.

(Bucks County)

It is generally accepted that the will to survive is more likely to get you killed in a gunfight than the determination to win.
    Generally accepted by whom? No instructor I know of would say it's preferable to stay and exchange gunfire if you had the chance to reach cover and/or escape.

Again, shooting your adversary is a means to an end, NOT the end. Confusing means and ends is not a path to "winning."

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmagill View Post
    Yes, I know the value of reputable firearms training.

I am a firearms instructor for a police department. I probably should have mentioned this sooner, but I have been asked to submit a new course of fire for the department's qualification course. The reason I originally posted is because I am seeking documentation about what direction is best to move in if someone draws a gun on you. Part of the qualification will involve moving out of the line of fire and I want to make sure the different stages in the course of fire are backed up with documentation. I recalled reading a few years ago that it is statistically better to move to the gun-side of the shooter (your left if they are right handed) but I could not find that source. This led me to post asking for any documentation about which direction is generally better to move in, assuming everything else is equal (distance to and type of cover, etc.). I know that simply taking a step to one side and then firing a few times is not sufficient movement, but I also have to work with what I have.
    I've been a firearms instructor for a lot of years, and I've never seen any "documentation" about which side is best to step towards. In a real life situation you have a million things to process, and adding one more (is the shooter left or right handed) is just.....nonsense. Move!!! Now!!!

You side step to, as the phrase goes......get off the "X". X is where the bad guy is going to be shooting at, so move!! I've implemented the side step in our qualifications several years ago. Do to range restrictions, we are limited in our side to side movement, but it is stressed that you should be moving several steps, not just one.

(Northampton County)

Generally accepted by whom?
    Every group of instructors I have ever paid.

No instructor I know of would say it's preferable to stay and exchange gunfire if you had the chance to reach cover and/or escape.
    You are putting words in my mouth.

Next time you lay down your money for training, find somebody that can explain to you the difference between what I said and what you think I said. Because I know you are not interested in what I think.

(Bucks County)

Next time you lay down your money for training, find somebody that can explain to you the difference between what I said and what you think I said. Because I know you are not interested in what I think.
    I've laid down plenty of money for training, and I'm confident none of those instructors said or implied anything like what you're saying. Rather than pay more money, the more fundamental approach is for you to state your position clearer. I'm not yet at the place indicated by your last sentence, but a continued lack of clarity might get me there.

Can we try for clear, unambiguous statements rather than more vague aphorisms? That goes for me too, if you think I'm being unclear.

(Northampton County)

I've laid down plenty of money for training, and I'm confident none of those instructors said or implied anything like what you're saying. Rather than pay more money, the more fundamental approach is for you to state your position clearer. I'm not yet at the place indicated by your last sentence, but a continued lack of clarity might get me there.

Can we try for clear, unambiguous statements rather than more vague aphorisms? That goes for me too, if you think I'm being unclear.
    Yes, absolutely. I have to apologize, sorry about that. (sincerely)

To rephrase, It's about mindset. It is generally accepted that the will to survive is more likely to get you killed in a gunfight than the determination to win. A determined warrior never hesitates at any chance to defeat his foe.

If your instructors don't teach you that, then fine. I never said to avoid the use of cover. I said it was about mindset. And, if you are not aware of this, then it is not something I can teach over the Internet. Mindset is certainly not something that I can convince somebody of that disagrees with me on the premise to begin with. Maybe you are right, let's just leave it at that. No instructor ever brought it up for you, go with what you know. Not going to argue about it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast