Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default OC negative turned into a positive with a cordial discussion.

Going to give the background to help illustrate how this could have gotten really ugly, really fast.

Since Tues PM, I have been visiting a someone in the Presby Hospital in Pgh PA. They were moved to the Donnell House in Washington PA late Thursday PM. This is a private Hospice care home affiliated with the Washington Hospital.

After I arrived there Friday, I encountered 3 different employees before going into the correct room. Over the next hour while waiting for the rest of the family to arrive, I spoke with a couple other employees while looking for a drink as well as a pen and paper.

After the whole family arrived, we began discussing things which would need to be done in the coming days. After about another 1/2 hour, one of the nurses comes into the room with a woman I had not met yet.

She introduced herself as the person in charge of the facility...like a general manager if you will. She walked over to where I was sitting and asked to have a word with me in private. I said sure and got up to follow her out into the hall. At this point my Aunt says, "Hey, we are part of the family too". I leaned down and told her it was not hospice buisness, it was about my gun.

When the 3 of us got out into the hall, The manager started to speak. Now I admit, I was fairly certain what she was going to say and I was emotionally as well as physically exhausted. I actually cut her off politely (which I should not have done...I should have let her finish her sentence) and said the following - in the following order, in a polite but exhausted manner:

-I am 100% legal.

-My firearm is much safer on my hip then in my car out in your lot, in this section of Wash PA, unsupervised.

-This is who I am and it is how the patient knows me (Maybe added a little guilt here).

-Finally i said "But I will respect you private property rights because they trump my 2nd rights.

Again I stress that I was polite with my tone of voice!

Now for the good part: She said that she did not suspect that anyone who was not LEGAL would just OC (mine term not hers) into a business like that. Unfortunately she did say that she still felt she needed to feel out the situation to make sure I was not a loon.

She thanked me for discussing it with her and we both went about our business. Obviously the situation was quickly talked about among all the employees because when I finally had to leave for the day around 4:30 PM, I heard behind me from one of the nurses - just loud enough for me to hear "Have gun, will travel." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_Gu...%93Will_Travel

If my brain wasn't so frazzled because of the reason for being there, I would like to have been able to smile back at her and offer a witty reply. Instead I just smiled to myself and left

Moral of this individual situation? It would have been so easy for me to have become indignant and reacted aggressively toward her ignorance (lack of knowledge). I am thankful that I showed restraint....for all involved parties.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: OC negative turned into a positive with a cordial discussion.

Good job. Rep sent.

Now get a lawyer.
    Junior

(Cambria County)

Thumbs up Re: OC negative turned into a positive with a cordial discussion.

This wasn't a bad OC experience. Not perfect, but all went well.
    Do you have an idea of which employee "called for backup"?

Quote Originally Posted by TheF00L View Post

When the 3 of us got out into the hall, The manager started to speak. Now I admit, I was fairly certain what she was going to say and I was emotionally as well as physically exhausted.

Maybe she was gonna compliment your gun???

I actually cut her off politely (which I should not have done...I should have let her finish her sentence)

I believe this was your biggest fault. But I understand you were going through some other issues so you may have had a different temperament that day.

and said the following - in the following order, in a polite but exhausted manner:

-I am 100% legal.

-My firearm is much safer on my hip then in my car out in your lot, in this section of Wash PA, unsupervised.

-This is who I am and it is how the patient knows me (Maybe added a little guilt here).

-Finally i said "But I will respect you private property rights because they trump my 2nd rights.

Again I stress that I was polite with my tone of voice!

So you said ALL of this before she even asked a question or spoke?

She must of thought you were reading a script.

Now for the good part: She said that she did not suspect that anyone who was not LEGAL would just OC (mine term not hers) into a business like that. Unfortunately she did say that she still felt she needed to feel out the situation to make sure I was not a loon.

Hmmm, she must have psychic powers. Able to conclude your mental status and intentions just by coming to see you. Funny she didn't ask you to lay down on the couch for a "chat"

I think you did fairly well with the whole situation (other than cutting her off.)

You were polite and didn't give her a hard time. Overall, good encounter.

I am sure YOU were the top subject matter at that place for a few days
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Monroe County)

Recall back in Massachusetts years ago when I'd occasionally carry a Model 1911 concealed that there were problems too. Went into certain places, like a hospital where somebody apparently got a glimpse of the holstered gun under my sport jacket.

Had a state license to carry for the "protection of life and property", so I was legitimate in the stricter legal sense. Remember that when confronted by the security people being informed that no firearms were allowed on the property they'd present options.

It was sometimes suggested that I go out and stash the gun into the car out in the parking lot. Fact is, that was not an option under Massachusetts state law. Part of the requirement for the permit itself was that any firearm in possession must be in control of the licensee at all times. Should that gun be stolen from the car then the owner would most likely face criminal charges.

So the point of the gun being safer in possession of the owner is not only practical and safer but in some jurisdictions is a requirement of law.

With that said, instead of getting into an endless loop arguments about my right to legally carry a firearm onto private or otherwise controlled property, I'd politely agree to leave the premises.

Had a friend long ago who used to quote; . . . "Discretion is the better part of Valor". At the time when younger I didn't really understand what that meant, but figured it out sometime ago.

At least in my humble opinion, if there's a feeling of the need to carry a firearm in a social or public environment, then discretion by having it concealed is smarter from not only a non-confrontational aspect but a tactical one as well.
    Last edited by Capt Quahog; July 23rd, 2011 at 10:30 AM.

(Centre County)

1-no idea which employee because I interacted with so many

2-You could be right

3-you are right, i should have let her speak. This is my second "encounter" in a 3 week period (I believe) and as I said- was just exhausted due to the circumstances

4-as to reading the script (LOL) It was done in a conversational manner BUT it seems that lately I have been saying any one or all of these things so often that like a salesman....I decided to overcome all of the objections B4 they could come up!

(Beaver County)

I heard behind me from one of the nurses - just loud enough for me to hear "Have gun, will travel."
    A friend of mine lost both of his legs, and rolls in a wheelchair.

The back of the chair has a sign:

"Half Gone, Still Travels"