Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10/22 triggers

(Cumberland County)

Question 10/22 triggers

hi guys and gals, i know one of you knows of a setup that i would like. i have a 10/22 with a short stainless heavyweight barrel set up for my pilot can. it has a decent scope and polymer stock. what i am looking for is a trigger set up with minimal pull weight and a decent feel. cost is not a big issue. do i go with individual parts and install or go with a trigger housing already set up. this gun is already accurate but could do better with a good trigger. any first hand experience and suggestions are welcome. keep on shooting, red dog

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: 10/22 triggers

Volquartsen.

Lycan/threadthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

The 10/22 is an awesome gun the trigger is its biggest drawback, Check out www.rimfirecentral.com and see what we have to say about the many triggers available for the 10/22.

THe 10/22 trigger housing unit is quite complicated dont mess with it , just buy a drop in unit and you are good to go.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    cost is not a big issue.
    Then don't screw around. KID adjustable 10/22 Trigger. http://www.coolguyguns.com/. Mr. Kidd will set it up how you like if you call to order and tell him what you want.
    Last edited by Suburban; July 24th, 2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Chester County)

I put a VQ target hammer into my 10/22 and it cut my trigger pull weight by more than half. http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchan...egory_Code=R1A
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    THe 10/22 trigger housing unit is quite complicated dont mess with it , just buy a drop in unit and you are good to go.
    Are you kidding? I had never worked on a 10/22 before in my life and it only took me 30 minutes to put in an extended mag release and install a new VQ target hammer.

Study how it works, use dowels and the pins to help keep things aligned. It wasn't difficult. Oh I also put in a bolt buffer too.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Centre County)

Default Re: 10/22 triggers and mods

With all due respect I must disagree with member "mrnyman."

For me (YMMV) 10/22s are very easy to work on.

Here are a few suggestions:
    Go to SmartFlix and rent the following videos:
    Video 1 = 10/22 armorer's course
    ( - Now watch it and and familiarize yourself with your rifle.)

Video 2 = 10/22 trigger job video
    (- Then do your own trigger job.) It is not hard if you are careful and go slowly. Pay full attention to all the safety caveats.

Then go to your local auto parts store and purchase some 1/4" diameter high pressure brake line hose. Replace your bolt stop with the hose; trim to fit. Makes a great bolt stop buffer.

If you want to perform the modification to allow your bolt to be held back, or install an extended mag release, they are easy to accomplish with rudimentary tools.
    The one thing you won't be able to do is to drill and tap the sear. It's simply too darn hard. I had a machine shop with a water jet cutter drill it, but in retrospect, it was not worth the cost of the mod.

It is a fun, inexpensive rifle, and if you mess up a part they are not expensive and you should be able to get it to shoot well and learn something in the process.

More than anything else, though, take all the safety warnings seriously!

Here is another thread with some good ideas about easy modifications that will make your 10/22 work better/easier/smoother.
    (Note: the .25" auto hose is the high pressure brake line hose I mentioned above.)

One more thing: I trilled and tapped my trigger for an overtravel adjustment screw, not the trigger guard as shown.

All the best,
    Last edited by thomae; July 25th, 2011 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added more links to existing threads.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: 10/22 triggers and mods

I've built "several " 10/22's from mild to wild . The basic trigger job can be done with just a few basic tools . go to the Midway sight and punch in number 949322 , it's a Powers Custom kit including hammer , adjustable re-profiled trigger , adjustable sear , and the smaller components , trigger is totally adjustable both directions , so to speak. Your looking at about sixty some dollars plus shipping last time I bought one . Trigger breaks at appx. 2.5 lbs on the last four I installed . Buffer definately cuts down on the clak-clak when you're shooting and minimizes the steel to steel contact when the bolt cycles , auto bolt release is nice and extended mag release is a must if you're shooting with gloves on . If you're really interested in a build get back to me , I have about fifteen years experience with these fun rifles .

(Montgomery County)

I've been thinking about doing something about the trigger on the one I just put together. Does anyone know what the trigger pull weight is from the factory?
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.

(Lycoming County)

Trigger pull from the factory varies alot , I have had readings from five to seven , almost eight pounds , I'm guessing a liability issue like Remington had years ago , I've had them in my shop close to twelve pounds at the extreme , replaced them with Timneys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast