Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Which AR ... LMT Daniel Defense Noveske???

$1600 AR.

Buy a BCM lower and a BCM upper. Also buy a red dot if that's your thing.

You should have just enough money left to take a class. Use that opportunity to see if you need anything else. Look at what gun the instructor is using, chances are its a simple AR.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfive0 View Post
    Best buy under $1k right now is a colt 6920, I believe buds has them for $980ish?
    Damn, that really is a good price.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    No. None of it is true. Recoil is less. Weight is equivalent. Accuracy is the same.

I mean, if we're going to have a discussion here, at least let's be honest with the OP so he can make a good choice. I really don't care about other piston rifles, either. I just care about suggesting the LWRC, because in the $1600 range, there is no competition with the M6-SL. It's hands-down the best for general use.

And who cares about a buffer tube/"true" piston gun? I don't. Never said I did, and neither did the OP.
    Nothing dishonest in my post. Recoil is more, weight is more and not sure about the accuracy. But I can tell you this I get sub MOA from my LMT with 5 shots, steel case hornady 55grn practice ammo and that's with a 14.5" barrel.

If it were me and I had 1600.00 to spend on an AR I would not get a piston AR. I would either get the Colt 6920 for under 1K as mentioned in this thread, or a BCM, DD or Noveske and spend the balance on optics or ammo or both. For 1600.00 all he would get is a rifle if he got a LWRC, then comes additional cost for other things such as ammo and optics if he decides he wants an optic.

I just recently bought a ACR because I wanted something differant, I already have 5 AR's. I like it but in all reality if it were my first rifle I was buying I'd get a DI AR first and it would be one of the ones mentioned many times in this thread. DD, BCM, Colt or Noveske.

(Delaware County)

Out of curiosity how does the M6-SL and 416 stack up against that Mil-Spec list???
    *S&W M&P9 *Remington 870 *Ruger 10/22 *CAI SAR-1 AKM

(Delaware County)

I was looking for the post to quote but I couldn't find it ... In regards to Lowers being basically the same if I was to go the build route and just buy a complete upper and complete lower (I know not really a build) and bought the LMT Defender lower with the Sopmod stock and 2 stage trigger for around $425 shipped am I overpaying???
    *S&W M&P9 *Remington 870 *Ruger 10/22 *CAI SAR-1 AKM

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wally36 View Post
    Out of curiosity how does the M6-SL and 416 stack up against that Mil-Spec list???
    The issue there is that a "mil spec" for piston conversions does not exist. Extractors are still important, as is carrier weight, and the testing of the bolt, but LWRC has some different bolt that likely exceeds mil spec as they need to address the more violent action of a piston conversions extraction cycle. The H&K lower is kind of different and better in terms of parts.

The biggest things with "mil spec" are removed. Gas port size, carrier weight, buffer weight, and the spring matter for cycling. A piston conversion removes the concerns there, but not without their own drawbacks. Carrier key torque, staking, and alignment matter, but are gone. And castle nut staking on the reciever extension matters and is still there. I am unsure how the gas blocks are attached, but phospate under the gas block and a pinned or screwed gas block can matter here.

I was looking for the post to quote but I couldn't find it ... In regards to Lowers being basically the same if I was to go the build route and just buy a complete upper and complete lower (I know not really a build) and bought the LMT Defender lower with the Sopmod stock and 2 stage trigger for around $425 shipped am I overpaying???

I do not think that is a bad deal at all. Other places have that for around $500.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

Arrow Re: Which AR ... LMT Daniel Defense Noveske???

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I know quite a few SBR's that are DI that work just fine.
    No doubt. It is one of the few areas though, where the piston REALLY shines.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    No doubt. It is one of the few areas though, where the piston REALLY shines.
    Except that we are smart enough to know how to make a short barreled DI gun work. There is less room for error in some instances, but it is not that difficult. A majority of issues with DI guns only pop up when someone buys a crappy gun. The bad rap that people place on DI has a lot to do with guns that are garbage to begin with, they just refuse to admit that some guns are of lesser quality.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

I would imagine the 416 is milspec (?), it's in US military service. Whatever the case, the 416 is the only piston AR variant that i would want.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Valorius View Post
    I would imagine the 416 is milspec (?), it's in US military service. Whatever the case, the 416 is the only piston AR variant that i would want.
    Not in the sense that everyone else is talking, but they are one of the few makers who earned a pass on lots of things. They kind of know their way around guns.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011