Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default LTCF/Marijuana conflicts

this question is mainly out of curiosity but, since the decriminalization of marijuana in Philadelphia, would it now technically be legal to carry a firearm if you are a marijuana user? I'm not talking about possession while carrying, strictly asking if your right to carry is void if you smoke pot.

Default Re: LTCF/Marijuana conflicts

Quote Originally Posted by down2mars View Post
    this question is mainly out of curiosity but, since the decriminalization of marijuana in Philadelphia, would it now technically be legal to carry a firearm if you are a marijuana user? I'm not talking about possession while carrying, strictly asking if your right to carry is void if you smoke pot.
    It's illegal.
    (e) Issuance of license.--
    (1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    (vi) An individual who is addicted to or is an unlawful user of marijuana or a stimulant, depressant or narcotic drug.
    Last edited by zackattack784; July 21st, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Philadelphia County)

You are almost assured to catch shit from Philly cops (under threat of death non-the-less) for doing ABSOLUTELY nothing illegal. while carrying.

I wouldn't even try what you are suggesting.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Regardless of whether Philly "decriminalized" anything, possession and use of any illegal drugs is and will remain a federal crime. Even if PA law didn't make it illegal for a drug user to obtain a LTCF, the fact that you are a habitual (or even recreational if you want to call it that) breaker of federal laws would probably be enough to disqualify you as far as the character clause goes.

Also, did Philly actually decriminalize marijuana, or did they just say that they weren't going to prosecute under a certain amount? While that might sound the same in theory, it's not even close to "decriminalized". For instance, they might not charge you with possession if the catch you smoking while doing nothing else, but if you are carrying, they could add the drug charges on top of any weapons charges they feel like making up.

Well it would technically be legal in a constitutional sense, not that means anything anymore.
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
    Well it would technically be legal in a constitutional sense, not that means anything anymore.
    There are restrictions on every amendment. I don't see how that argument would fly in any court.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    There are restrictions on every amendment. I don't see how that argument would fly in any court.
    We're looking at this from opposite sides of the fence. However if we want to approach it from your side, what other right is restricted based on past marijuana use?
    Last edited by Big Chuck; July 22nd, 2011 at 12:51 AM.
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

Why on earth would you even attempted? Wait a tick I see some logic here, think about it. A couple of guys come up to commit a hienous crime and instead you offer them a joint. They get stoned and then are too mellow to want to commit anything. Violence overted And if the dope does not mellow them out you have a back up plan. Wahla, the second peace maker, the pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
    We're looking at this from opposite sides of the fence. However if we want to approach it from your side, what other right is restricted based on past marijuana use?
    I was talking about your first, fourth, fifth, 14th, etc. rights.

(Philadelphia County)

I found the wording to be a little funny, when I filled out my form, that they denoted marijuana specifically while remaining vague on "stimulant" and "narcotic". I'm sure this is in some way an indicator of slur propaganda of old and the disposition of our previous generations towards marijuana.

However, I don't believe that your constitutional right to bear arms should be limited by this alone. Don't get me wrong, if your judgement is impaired it's probably not best to be operating (shooting) a firearm, but carrying one for self-defense is another story. If you find yourself in situation that you absolutely need a gun to defend yourself or someone else it shouldn't matter if you are high. I don't think that a PTA mom or a pothead should have any less right to defend themselves than the other. Now, in the case of people being busted with pot while carrying.... I have not sympathy for these idiots! period.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast