Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Another FNG (introduction thread)

Hi everyone. I just thought I should waste a few minutes of your life and introduce myself. (sorry, you can't gett hat 30 seconds back, but you can stop here if you'd like, lol)

I was on another website ( www.eriejeeppeople.com ) and a member from here posted in one of our threads and that lead me here. We were talking about PA's open carry laws and general firearm ownership/safety/use. So here I am.

I am a 32yo husband and father of 4 sons. I live in Warren, PA and I'm a proud gun owner. Up until about 2-3 years ago, I had little to no interest in firearms or the laws that govern such things. I never hunted, fished, or really did much of anything. You know the basic Generation X couch potato type. I spent more time playing video games than doing much else growing up so the "real world" didn't matter much to me so long as i had a case of Mt Dew and a few pizzas for the weekend.

My introduction to gun ownership was rather interesting. I went got a call form a friend who lives in Beaver Falls, PA and he wanted me to go to a "Gun Bash" with him. I argued that I wasn't even remotely interested in guns and it would be a waste of my time. He explained about the gun bash and that it ran 11am-7pm and for $40 you get all the food you can eat, all the beer/soda/water you can drink, and in addition to ALL that you can win guns.

Reluctantly I agreed to go. Sure enough, I won a Glock 26 on a $3 pull tab ticket. First and only thing I've ever won! Well I thinking "chaching" money-in-the-bank and planned to sell the gun for 450-500$ in brand new condition, never fired.

My friend convinced me that shooting a few rounds through it before selling it wouldn't reduce it's value since a used gun is a used gun regardless of how much it's been shot. So I bought a 50rd box of 9mm and headed to the pistol range with him.

I timidly pull the gun from the case, put a couple rounds in the magazine and take aim. Gentle squeeze, slow and easy... >>> BANG! <<< ... I was hooked. >>> BANG! <<< >>> BANG! <<< >>> BANG! <<< ... "Quick!", my mind screamed at me, "RELOAD, RELOAD!"

And that's how it became a sickness for me.

Since that day I've gotten my C/C permit and a few other firearms. I traded that Glock26 9mm to a friend for his Hk Compact .40S&W then traded that in on a Hk USP Compact 9mm which I later sold. I just can't find a pistol I'm comfortable with that I can c/c comfortably too. So for now I am without a pistol. I think I need to shoot a few loaners before i make another purchase.

For rifles I've bought:
    - A Mossberg Plinkster .22 - I really recommend staying away from this gun. It's the biggest pile of crap I've seen. Maybe because I bought it used, but it's a horrible gun. The blueing is coming off inside chamber, it holds all the powder residue inside and gums up the works, and it's a general pain in the butt to tear down and clean. I've just had a horrible experience with this rifle all around. I'll save the money and get a 10/22 in the future.

- A Bushmaster AR-15 M4A3 (or M4gery if you prefer) - This was my first high dollar gun purchase and I am in love with this rifle. Easy to take down and clean, easy to shoot, light on the recoil, etc... I've had nothing but good times with this gun. Very little I can say negatively about it. There's a couple tight spots when cleaning it that are a pain to get to, but generally, I love it. I had a Trijicon TA01 ACOG for it, but before doing my research on mounting it on the flat top, I sold it. my mistake. I've bought the 4 rail picitanny fore grip and a front handle, but haven't had much in the way of accessories to put on it. hopefully the future will hold a nice laser site and flashlight, and if I can swing it, another ACOG.

- A Remmington 700 .30-06 - My hunting rifle with synthetic stock and Bushnell 3200 Elite series scope. I've got it dialed in at ~200 yards and couldn't imagine a smoother or more solid rifle for hunting. I've love it since the first time I shot it.

That concludes my gun collection for now. I'm hoping one of these days to get to a pistol range and shoot a bunch of rental guns to see what I really like so I can start putting this c/c permit to use.

My sons are ages 11, 6, 5, and 3. I'm taking my 11yo out with my grandfather's Marlin kids size .22 bolt action to teach him some gun safety and let him shoot a bit. He shot bb guns with the boy scouts, and hit all 10 shots inside the 9 ring, so I'm hoping he enjoys the .22 and maybe one day the other rifles.

I shoot pellet guns with my 6 and 5 year olds form time to time. They're more interested in transformers and video games right now. But hey, at that age so was I.

Our other family interests include: Jeeping, Camping, Fishing, Geocaching, generally any outdoor stuff we can make it out to do.

Anyhow, that's a glimpse into my world, I hope it didn't warp your mind too much. lol

-Jason

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Another FNG (introduction thread)

Howdy Jason and welcome.

I spent a couple months in Warren a year or two ago working in the refinery. I joined the Mckean Rifle club while I was up there. they have a pretty decent rifle range for $25/yr. It is about 20 to 30 minutes from warren.
    I also used to shoot down at the Tionesta Game Lands Range. It was really nice with 25 or 50 (not sure), 100 and 200 yd ranges.

It is a bit of a haul, but if you can make it to one of our group shoots (2nd sunday of each month), that would be a great time for you to try out many different handguns.
    joe

(Schuylkill County)

Hey Jason welcome aboard. you got the sickness and it will never end, as for a pistol thats comfortable to carry try looking into one of the Springfield XD'S.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    Howdy Jason and welcome.

I spent a couple months in Warren a year or two ago working in the refinery. I joined the Mckean Rifle club while I was up there. they have a pretty decent rifle range for $25/yr. It is about 20 to 30 minutes from warren.
    I also used to shoot down at the Tionesta Game Lands Range. It was really nice with 25 or 50 (not sure), 100 and 200 yd ranges.

It is a bit of a haul, but if you can make it to one of our group shoots (2nd sunday of each month), that would be a great time for you to try out many different handguns.
    joe
    I just may take you up on that. Let me go google Monroeville ...

Oh wow... that is a haul. lol.
    I go to Beaver Falls quite often and do a lot of shooting at the Chippewa(sp?) range. Maybe I can plan a trip down and bring a fellow gun nut with me.

Thanks for the invite!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    Hey Jason welcome aboard. you got the sickness and it will never end, as for a pistol thats comfortable to carry try looking into one of the Springfield XD'S.
    I'm kicking a Glock19 around atm. I haven't shot an XD yet, but I hear good things.
    I do plan to do a lot more research before heading out with cash in hand and grabbing the first thing the gun shop has on the shelf.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Glock19, I really like the Glock's simplicity.
    Last edited by sinful; January 8th, 2008 at 01:21 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Hi Jason! You came to the right place! We all have the same sickness that you have! But its a good sickness! LOL Hope you enjoy the forums! Be sure to post photos! We love photos!!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Allegheny County)

Welcome Jason! You really got to try to make it to our Group shoot at PMSC next week.

Hawk,
    Toujours prêt

(Warren County)

I didint want to whore it up too much, but here's a few pics i have uploaded... I spend all my range time shooting, and rarely get pics. lol

Here's the Glock 26 I won then sold... I miss this gun.

Here's the Hk USP Compact I had and got rid of. I bit bulky for a "comapct" imho:

Here's my AR15 the day I bought him (his name's Jansen if I didnt mention that)

I dont have any other pics uploaded atm. I'll play with the camera next time I get to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Welcome Jason! You really got to try to make it to our Group shoot at PMSC next week.

Hawk,
    Got an address for me? I don't have plans next week, but I'm short on "play" ammo, so I'll try to figure something out. I'll have to hit the local GS and grab a few boxes of .223/5.56, some .30-06, and a few boxes of 9mm.
    Last edited by sinful; January 8th, 2008 at 01:30 PM.

(Bucks County)

Yeah, your really not going to fit in here

Welcome!

(Warren County)

Oh, found a couple more:

Here's the .22 ... sorry for such a crappy pic:

And here's the AR15 when I had the trijicon and a generic bipod on it.
    Both have since been removed.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    Yeah, your really not going to fit in here

Welcome!
    I think he's just starting with the sickness its not full blown deases stage yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast