Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default 1 pistol 2 calibers?

Hello all, I am new to guns. I picked up a very cheap used S&W Sigma 40S&W. I am pretty happy as a first time shooter, but hear of all the downsides to Sigmas. During my 3rd time to the range I was making 5 inch groupings at 25 feet and am fairly happy with that. However I am now getting the itch for a Springfield XD. I would also like an accurate 22.
    On my first trip to the range I saw a guy shooting one gun, maybe 9mm or 40 then next thing I know he was shooting 22s out of it. What’s up with these types of guns? I am sure there are some major shortcomings, but had to ask. Are there good guns that convert like this?

Thanks,
    JD

Default Re: 1 pistol 2 calibers?

almost all guns nowadays have .22 conversions

IMHO and from experience I'd dithc your S&W for an XD

I too am not a fan of the Sigma...cheap Glock knockoff.

As far as conversions.

There is an aftermarket 22 conversion for the Glocks.

Kimber offers a 22 conversion for their pistols as well.

CZ does as well.

If you are looking for a pistol caliber plus a 22 caliber.

You can also swap barrels on some firearms. Most will be a 40 S&W to 357Sig conversion...and most will only require buying another barrel. The mags are the same.

Some pistols like the EAA Witness line...you can go from 45ACP to 10mm/38 super.

In the end there are lots of options.

(Blair County)

I've used a couple of .22 conversions.

I've used a Ciener on a 1911 and a Beretta. They both worked well, but you had wipe them down regularly and keep them lubed (oil, not grease). The downside is you have to deal with Ciener. They are generally unpleasant, and, the last time I dealt with them, were not equipped to take credit cards. This seems to be poor business practice here in the 21st century. Anyway, I was in about $250 for each one with an extra mag. Many of the 1911 manufacturers systems are very similar to the Ciener.

I also have run an Advantage Arms Glock conversion. It's the best conversion I have run. Not as sensitive to dirt as the Cieners. I'm in about $300, but with a couple of extra mags. There are fixed sight and adjustable sight options, and it comes with either a cleaning kit or mag loader. Get the mag loader, it's a lot easier on the fingers. But the AA is by far the best conversion I've run.

For a 1911 today, I'd get the Advantage Arms, or, if I had more money, the Marvel. By all accounts I've heard, the AA is the most reliable Glock conversion available. I can't speak for any other conversion.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

Actually, the upside to having a .22 conversion is that you can practice with a lesser cost and have the same grip as you had with the .45 As mentionned above, there are many makers of .22 kits often called a "Cadet".
    As for the Sigma, I wouldnt down them, I have a 9mm Sigma, very happy with it, and the nice thing about them is I can buy a second one for the same price and have 2 guns compared to one glock. They may look alike, but the Sigma fits my hands much better. Personally, when i look at the guns side by side I cant see anything that makes a Glock $200 to 250 more expensive. Some one once said "when you put 10,000 rounds through it, come back and tell me that" Well Im pretty close to 1/2 way there, no signs of damage. Besides, like I already said, I can buy a second one and still be in the Glock price range.

If i was to go to a cadet, I would look at CZ or the 1911 series. Mainly so i could practice in .22 and plink to my hearts content, then slip on the top of the larger caliber and have a HD pistol.
    From what I understand, Kimber now also has a .22 kit

as well as a .17 kit. As a general rule, you probably want to ask the guys who have them how they feel about them, price is around the $300 {+or- $50 } for a conversion so its no more then getting a rugger mark III.
    Last edited by Frenchy; November 16th, 2006 at 04:22 AM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Northampton County)

Thanks Guys,
    Looks like my choices are pretty limited with these conversions. I will pursue the XD and then later on maybe look into a Rugger.

I just like the idea of using the same grip for both calibers. Oh well, this is just one more reason to get a 1911

JD

(Blair County)

JD,

The fact that they make 1911s is the only reason anyone needs for getting a 1911.

Besides the grip, the other big advantage is the fact that you have the same trigger pull. I worked with a Ruger 22/45 for a long time, and while the grip angle is the same as a 1911, the balance is way off.

Having said that, you can make great strides in your skill with a pistol with any reliable full size .22. In addition to the Ruger, I've used one of the most recent Colts (now out of production), and just as far as learning about things like what is an acceptable sight picture, trigger control, and how (and how much) to focus on the front sight is priceless, even if it doesn't specifically match your centerfire gun.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DPB View Post
    The downside is you have to deal with Ciener.
    I'm amazed this guy is still in business. I have a Ciener kit for my M16 which I bought from a third-party just so I could avoid dealing with that guy. He defines what it means to run a poor business.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Bucks County)

Welcome JD, the XD 40 can also shoot .357, just drop in the .357 barrel, which is easy to do on an XD and away you go. No .22 barrel for the XD though...Mike45

(Blair County)

danp,

I'm led to believe he does an awful lot of NFA business, especially supressors and destructive devices. Maybe if you're spending millions of dollars for restricted stuff, the customer service is better than for us poor scrubs buying a $250 conversion kit. I would hope so.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast