Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default AK-47 barrel threading

Has anyone ever threaded one using this (or any other) die? http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/inde...roducts_id=617

Mine has no threads. No welded muzzle nut. Just wondering if this process is difficult to do correctly. I know how to cut threads into a pipe, but I care WAY less about a pipe than I do my AK. Im just wondering if anyone has tried a die like the one posted and what was the experience like.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AK-47 barrel threading

From what I've read, with the bore guide as an aid it significantly helps in keeping the tap from running down the barrel crooked. But it's not on par with a nice concentric thread cut when it is threaded on a lathe. Nor will the threads be as crisp or sharp.

Will it get a muzzle device on the gun? Yes. Would I do it that way if I was planning on using a long muzzle device or any kind of suppressor? Hell no.

You also need to be aware of the barrel dimensions at the muzzle. What diameter is the barrel there? In some instances the threads were turned down which means there isn't enough material there to support factory threading. Or, it is too thick preventing you from starting the die.

Depends on the barrel.

Here's an example of a muzzle that was ground down, then threaded 1/2 -28 because it couldn't be 14-1LH any more.

(Butler County)

From my understanding upon researching it, my rifle was never threaded from the factory, and that a 14:1 thread will work on it. Its a hungarian sa-85m. I keep asking questions like this to make sure that I am right before I even attempt anything on my rifle. I am only looking to get a slant brake on it. I dont need anything long like a JTAC. Thanks for the input, always appreciated

I did find this also http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=1988.0

Sorry about the pic size. I dont know how to edit it, but this is my barrel
    Last edited by MicroMonkey; July 19th, 2011 at 06:55 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Make sure you order the plunger and spring for the FSB. You'll be missing it when you go to put your brake on. Looks like you'll be OK. But one can't be too sure.

(Butler County)

cool. Thanks for the input. I guess I have another question. Where do i buy blackening? I know I can get gun blueing, but I have read on the net a reference to blackening. Seems to me its similar to bluing. Anyone heard of this? It seems you have to do this to the threads after cutting so they dont rust.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MicroMonkey View Post
    cool. Thanks for the input. I guess I have another question. Where do i buy blackening? I know I can get gun blueing, but I have read on the net a reference to blackening. Seems to me its similar to bluing. Anyone heard of this? It seems you have to do this to the threads after cutting so they dont rust.
    What's blackening?

*AKs are either:
    Blue
    Parked
    Parked then painted
    Painted

Honestly ... but a can of BBQ grill paint. Tape off the barrel and FSB and spray away.

* yes there are "rare birds" out there but these are the typical military finishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    What's blackening?

*AKs are either:
    Blue
    Parked
    Parked then painted
    Painted

Honestly ... but a can of BBQ grill paint. Tape off the barrel and FSB and spray away.

* yes there are "rare birds" out there but these are the typical military finishes.
    oh, ok, very cool. I never heard of it before either, thats why I asked. Do you think BBQ paint wil be ok for the threads? Seems like it would grind off when attaching the brake. I would need to seal the metal in the threads

(Lycoming County)

If you plan on threading your barrel , make sure it mikes out to 14mm OD before you buy anything , most AK barrels were originally threaded by the manufacturer , then the threads were turned down per import restrictions these barrels cannot be threaded to original specs. As far as theblackening goes it can be duplicated with Precision brand tool black available from McMaster Carr , but involves abrasive blasting before application , kind of expensive for a half inch of barrel. If you were closer to Lycoming Co I'd do it for you. I'd go with the the the semi-gloss Krylon engine paint from Walmart for a couple bucks a can , just soak it from about one inch behind the rear of the front sight to the muzzle end in acetone so the oil doesn't bleed out and spray it .