Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Brand new hunter here..questions

Hey guys! I have been a lifelong firearms owner and avid shooter. I am a somewhat new transplant to PA from NY and am looking forward to my first hunting season this fall. I frequent the state range up in Nesquehoning and am pretty familiar with the area. From doing a little research I see there is a state game land up in the area (I think 141?). Would this be a good area for a beginner hunter? Up in NYS most of the state is slug only. Does this go for PA as well, or are any centerfire calibers above .22 fair game everywhere? Thanks for any help you can give!

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Brand new hunter here..questions

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...unity/pgc/9106

here is the game commision sight. lots of good reading here..........
    you can also buy you license on line.......
    jim
    In God We Trust............................

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...unity/pgc/9106

here is the game commision sight. lots of good reading here..........
    you can also buy you license on line.......
    jim
    Jim,

I checked this out already and actually bought a license already. Somewhat confusing reading on that sight for someone that knows nothing about the procedures down here. Thanks for your help!

NC

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by nalacolt View Post
    Jim,

I checked this out already and actually bought a license already. Somewhat confusing reading on that sight for someone that knows nothing about the procedures down here. Thanks for your help!

NC
    Not to be an ass, but if you don't know the rules and regs about what type of firearm you can use or what caliber, you need to re-read the info on the website, study the manual and/or take a hunter safety class. There's no simple answer to your question.

I grew up in NY also and still hunt there, and most of the state is rifle and shotgun, not just slug. Most of PA is rifle also, but the website and manual give details about where you cannot use a rifle.

(Montgomery County)

^^^I finally found the actual regs handbook and am reading through it now. The website itself outside that PDF does a pretty shitty job of explaining things. I will be sure to read it before I head out. With regards to the hunter safety course, I am signed up for the class on Aug 7th out in York county. I got my license online but was just reading up and getting a better understanding on things before the course.

As for caliber I am well aware that anything above .22 centerfire...which is really a moot point because I am planning on using my No 1 in .45 70 I handload so I was going to make some nice light loads for the purpose haha.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Not to be an ass, but if you don't know the rules and regs about what type of firearm you can use or what caliber, you need to re-read the info on the website, study the manual and/or take a hunter safety class. There's no simple answer to your question.

I grew up in NY also and still hunt there, and most of the state is rifle and shotgun, not just slug. Most of PA is rifle also, but the website and manual give details about where you cannot use a rifle.
    Oh and I grew up in Albany so all the hunters I knew growing up were hunting in the Hudson Valley and I am near 100 percent positive people only hunt with slugs..correct me if I am wrong.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by nalacolt View Post
    Oh and I grew up in Albany so all the hunters I knew growing up were hunting in the Hudson Valley and I am near 100 percent positive people only hunt with slugs..correct me if I am wrong.
    I see. Albany and Schenectady county are still shotgun only. Also counties around Lake Ontario, but most now allow rifle.

That brings up one of the major differences between the states. NY the regs are by county, but in PA they're by Wildlife Management Unit (WMU). That includes whether or not rifles are allowed. Find out which WMU you'll be hunting in to get the most accurate information. I find the best way to make sure I didn't miss any changes is to check the website just prior to the season. I'm not sure how often things change, but regs about number of points and minimal length have changed in recent years, and are now stricter than NY.

Another major difference is that NY allows semi-auto rifles and shotties for big game. A definite no-no in PA.

Also, if you think you might want an antlerless license, or what we called a "doe permit" in NY, you also need to know which WMU you plan to hunt in and apply for one that's only good in that WMU. The catch is that the number given varies by WMU, so you have to apply for it on August 1st to increase your chances of getting on. The WMUs with the best hunting will sell out by noon on 8/1, and the rest of the state shortly after.

Good luck!

EDIT: One more thing. No deer hunting hunting on Sunday in PA. In NY it's allowed in most of the state, and where it's not is so localized it's hard to figure out where you can and where you can't hunt big game on Sunday.
    Last edited by str8shooter; July 19th, 2011 at 09:28 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    I see. Albany and Schenectady county are still shotgun only. Also counties around Lake Ontario, but most now allow rifle.

That brings up one of the major differences between the states. NY the regs are by county, but in PA they're by Wildlife Management Unit (WMU). That includes whether or not rifles are allowed. Find out which WMU you'll be hunting in to get the most accurate information. I find the best way to make sure I didn't miss any changes is to check the website just prior to the season. I'm not sure how often things change, but regs about number of points and minimal length have changed in recent years, and are now stricter than NY.

Another major difference is that NY allows semi-auto rifles and shotties for big game. A definite no-no in PA.

Also, if you think you might want an antlerless license, or what we called a "doe permit" in NY, you also need to know which WMU you plan to hunt in and apply for one that's only good in that WMU. The catch is that the number given varies by WMU, so you have to apply for it on August 1st to increase your chances of getting on. The WMUs with the best hunting will sell out by noon on 8/1, and the rest of the state shortly after.

Good luck!

EDIT: One more thing. No deer hunting hunting on Sunday in PA. In NY it's allowed in most of the state, and where it's not is so localized it's hard to figure out where you can and where you can't hunt big game on Sunday.
    Thanks for the advice! I am thinking about heading up to 4C. One thing I am sort of confused about is the difference between an antlerless permit and a DMAP. I take that an anterless permit is valid in the entire WMU while a DMAP is valid only within that DMAP area? I made the mistake (or maybe not) of purchasing a DMAP for Hickory Run because I didnt see any information on the online purchasing area regarding anterless permits.

EDIT: Where can you find information on what type of firearm is permitted in which WMU? I am having trouble finding anything outside of the "bag limits/seasons" page. I am assuming if the WMU in question is listed under a "regular firearms" heading that centerfire rifles are permitted?
    Last edited by nalacolt; July 19th, 2011 at 10:12 PM.

(Somerset County)

The shotgun/rifle thing is still by county. Look for the Special Regulations Areas in the digest.

Basically, the counties around Philly in the East and Alleghany (Pittsburgh) in the West are shotgun/bow/muzzleloader.

4C is rifle or shotgun or handgun or bow or muzzleloader.

Dale

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    The shotgun/rifle thing is still by county. Look for the Special Regulations Areas in the digest.

Basically, the counties around Philly in the East and Alleghany (Pittsburgh) in the West are shotgun/bow/muzzleloader.

4C is rifle or shotgun or handgun or bow or muzzleloader.

Dale
    Thanks Dale! I live in MontCo but I love heading out up north. I grew up in the country in NY so I get sick of Philly pretty frequently and need to GTFO once in a while.