Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default S&W Service - Good or Bad?

I was just talking to a Customer Service rep from Smith & Wesson and he advised me that he would like me to send in my Sigma (SW9VE) pistol to be looked over and possibly serviced, depending on their findings.

I complained about two issues.

The first was the trigger. It has an unusually gritty feel to the trigger and seems to be catching on some machining marks as it pulls all the way back to fire. I understand that the Sigmas have a bit of a heavy trigger, and I am OK with that. It really isn't that bad IMO. It's just the grittyness that is getting on my nerves. It seems like poor machining processes on their part.

The second issue was surface rust. I have only had the gun for about a month, but I bought it used. I cleaned it very well the day I got it home and shot it that following weekend. I cleaned it again and all was well. I got my LTCF a week ago and carried the gun for three days over this past weekend. When I took the gun out of the holster Sunday night, I saw spots of surface rust freckled all over the stainless slide. I tried cleaning it, oiling it, soaking it, and scrubbing it, but the spots aren't going anywhere.

So, they are sending me a FedEx pre-paid label to send in my gun. The guy said turnaround times should be around 2-4 weeks and if any repairs would be on my dime, they will mail me a quote.

Now my question to everyone here is about their experiences with S&W's warranty service. Does it really take a long time? Do they do a decent job? How is their communication and follow through?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: S&W Service - Good or Bad?

The one experience I had was excellent. They sent a Fedex label and turned my 686+ around quickly and at no charge. I wasn't even the original owner. It was out of time BTW.
    The Lord Bless You

S&W has very good to excellent customer service. My advice would be to not keep your guns in a holster for storage.

(Northumberland County)

i sent mine out and in about a week i had it at the door. service was quick and precise. good luck!

(Dauphin County)

Good to know. I am not really crazy about sending it out right now since I have no other handgun to CC while it is away, but what needs done has to happen. I am glad to hear that everyone has prompt and very good quality service from S&W. Now I just play the waiting game for my label to arrive.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by daustin View Post
    I was just talking to a Customer Service rep from Smith & Wesson and he advised me that he would like me to send in my Sigma (SW9VE) pistol to be looked over and possibly serviced, depending on their findings.

I complained about two issues.

The first was the trigger. It has an unusually gritty feel to the trigger and seems to be catching on some machining marks as it pulls all the way back to fire. I understand that the Sigmas have a bit of a heavy trigger, and I am OK with that. It really isn't that bad IMO. It's just the grittyness that is getting on my nerves. It seems like poor machining processes on their part.

The second issue was surface rust. I have only had the gun for about a month, but I bought it used. I cleaned it very well the day I got it home and shot it that following weekend. I cleaned it again and all was well. I got my LTCF a week ago and carried the gun for three days over this past weekend. When I took the gun out of the holster Sunday night, I saw spots of surface rust freckled all over the stainless slide. I tried cleaning it, oiling it, soaking it, and scrubbing it, but the spots aren't going anywhere.

So, they are sending me a FedEx pre-paid label to send in my gun. The guy said turnaround times should be around 2-4 weeks and if any repairs would be on my dime, they will mail me a quote.

Now my question to everyone here is about their experiences with S&W's warranty service. Does it really take a long time? Do they do a decent job? How is their communication and follow through?
    I had surface rust on the slide of my M&P. Like you, I wound up with minor pitting even when the rust was gone. I emailed Customer Service and got no response, so I gave them a call after a few days.

The person I spoke to on the phone apologized numerous times and was very nice. Quoted me something like 4-6 weeks from the time I mailed it in until it arrived back at my house. They fixed another issue I had (pin was working free) and they replaced my slide, free of charge. Shipping was also covered by Smith & Wesson

It is never good to have to use customer service, but I was very happy with the way I was treated.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by wwhite72082 View Post
    I had surface rust on the slide of my M&P. Like you, I wound up with minor pitting even when the rust was gone. I emailed Customer Service and got no response, so I gave them a call after a few days.

The person I spoke to on the phone apologized numerous times and was very nice. Quoted me something like 4-6 weeks from the time I mailed it in until it arrived back at my house. They fixed another issue I had (pin was working free) and they replaced my slide, free of charge. Shipping was also covered by Smith & Wesson

It is never good to have to use customer service, but I was very happy with the way I was treated.
    How long did it end up actually taking?

(Berks County)

I don't remember exactly but I received the pistol back in the timeframe that I was quoted. So, roughly 4-6 weeks.

(Monroe County)

S&W customer service is good and bad. I sent in a M&P 40c that was locking back with rounds in the magazine. They knew this model was having this issue but they tried to give me the run around. I sent the gun back 2X and the issue improved but wasn't completely solved. They didn't charge me a penny, they sent me extra magazines, and the gun was back in about 3 weeks both times. When the issue wasn't fixed after 2 trips back I sold the gun back to the shop I bought it from and used the proceeds to buy a 1911. Problem fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by daustin View Post
    How long did it end up actually taking?
    My M&P9c was back in about two weeks. And they sent it back with a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningBoy View Post
    I sent in a M&P 40c that was locking back with rounds in the magazine.
    Too late to help you, but it was probably a weak slide lock spring. My M&P9c would let the slide lock bounce up and snag the slide on recoil -- but seemed fine unless the trigger was all the way back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast